This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:Chinese Flag no longer displays

Solution:Deactivate WPML plugin, delete it , go to https://wpml.org/account/downloads/ and download a fresh version of WPML 4.0.8 and install it manually

to do a manual update please follow these steps:

1. Backup your database – see for example: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-db-backup/

2. Deactivate the existing WPML plugin and add-ons.

3. Delete the plugin files – this does not delete your translations. You will simply delete the plugin files from you "wp-content/plugins" folder NOT the database records.

4. Download the updated plugins from our servers and upload them to the plugin directory.

5. Activate the WPML plugin and add-ons.

Relevant Documentation:

0% of people find this useful.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices.

Last updated by desmondL-4 1 year, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
October 23, 2018 at 6:26 pm #2843794

Aaron

I updated to the latest version of WPML today, and since the update, the Chinese flag no longer appears in my language switcher. It displays a broken image, where the flag should be, and instead of showing the name of the language in the native language (简体中文"), it displays "zh-hans简体中文". Please see attached image.

It is displayed this way in the Menu Language Switcher, Widget Language Switcher, as well as in the backend.

How can I change it back to how it originally was before the update?

It should display the flag icon with 简体中文" beside it.

Thanks!

October 24, 2018 at 4:37 am #2844860

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

please go to WPML->languages-> edit languages and share a screenshot with me of that page if possible

were you using a custom image before the update ? any updates will remove custom images uploaded using FTP.

October 24, 2018 at 10:30 am #2845795

jurgenR

exactly the same issue as described happened to me. Chinese flag (zh-hans) disappears after latest update.’

October 24, 2018 at 1:16 pm #2846406

Aaron

It was using the default flag image, I didn't upload custom flag icons.

Screenshot of Edit Languages section is below.

October 24, 2018 at 5:45 pm #2847456

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

please try the following and let me know your results

Deactivate WPML plugin, delete it , go to https://wpml.org/account/downloads/ and download a fresh version of WPML 4.0.8 and install it manually

to do a manual update please follow these steps:

1. Backup your database – see for example: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-db-backup/

2. Deactivate the existing WPML plugin and add-ons.

3. Delete the plugin files – this does not delete your translations. You will simply delete the plugin files from you "wp-content/plugins" folder NOT the database records.

4. Download the updated plugins from our servers and upload them to the plugin directory.

5. Activate the WPML plugin and add-ons.

let me know your results , i have test this on a test environment and it worked as expected with the flag showing.

October 25, 2018 at 12:43 pm #2849771

jurgenR

Solution worked for me. Thank you

October 26, 2018 at 6:14 pm #2853960

Aaron

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

December 11, 2018 at 6:21 pm #2989925

barryR-5

I have the identical issue. This seems like it is a bug that needs fixing.

August 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm #4341621

unaD

this is still a bug and it's down to the following;

Line 530 in /plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/menu/edit-languages.php

// Update flag table.
$this->update_flag($data['code'], $data['flag'], $from_template);

This is called if you update the table at /wp-admin/admin.php?page=sitepress-multilingual-cms%2Fmenu%2Flanguages.php&trop=1

What it does is sets the Chinese flag to zh-hans.png rather than zh.png.

A quick fix is to update the "wp_icl_flags" table, setting language code "zh-hans" to zh.png, then clear your cache as the get_flag method of WPML_Flags caches them. You can clear cache at /wp-admin/admin.php?page=sitepress-multilingual-cms%2Fmenu%2Ftroubleshooting.php by clicking "Clear the Cache in WPML"

You're welcome 🙂

October 17, 2019 at 10:13 am #4772301

Brain Shi

Actually it is still not resolved. I have exactly done all the steps 1-5 as the top thread. The flag is still not showing.

And my custom post type language swich is also not working when the permlink is not set as querystrings like "lang=en".

November 7, 2019 at 4:05 pm #4907923

olafM-4

you still have not solved this issue. It is a year now. All it takes is you include the correct flag file in your folder before sending out the next update. We can fix it on our server, but every time a new update arrives the flag is lost. Annoying.

February 14, 2020 at 7:14 am #5492229

desmondL-4

Just installed and I'm having the exact same issue. I could use the suggested solution but why this is not fixed in the latest version? Annoying.