This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
May 1, 2019 at 2:35 am #3715813

ouD

I'd like to choose the right URL format so I don't run into problems in the future. My goals are simple: Have our website rank in Google for our keywords in multiple languages, and not get penalized by Google for duplicate content. I've chosen the ?lang=ru option for our URLs. Is this in any way inferior to the yourdomain.com/ru option?

I've checked this documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/

But it doesn't include information on the ?lang=ru URL option. This makes me wonder if its not a recommended choice? Are there any problems to look out for when using this option?

Our website link is: hidden link

Also, does WPML automatically add the hreflang attributes to my pages, or do I need to add them myself?

May 1, 2019 at 8:26 am #3716899

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

When it comes to Google ranking, I don't know if there's a specific set of rules that you can follow and have everything set up. This depends based on your site content. However, using languages in directories is a good approach.

Regarding hreflang, you can check this article for some more details about how you use it: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/#how-wpml-creates-hreflang-tags

Thanks,
Radu

May 2, 2019 at 2:31 am #3720801

ouD

Thanks Radu,

Do you suggest submitted an XML Sitemap of my Russian pages to Google? We already have our original sitemap of our domain submitted, and our Russian pages are showing up on Google.

Is there any difficulty with building an XML sitemap using my current URL method?

May 6, 2019 at 2:09 am #3744307

ouD

Hi Radu,

Please respond when you have time. In Google Search console, our Russian pages appear as "Indexed, not submitted in Sitemap"

Should I create a Russian sitemap for the website and submit it to Google? And is there a problem building sitemaps using our current URL method?

May 6, 2019 at 11:51 am #3748021

Radu
Supporter

Hey,

You can try to upload a sitemap for Russian version of your website. For the default language, you can find the sitemap right here: hidden link. As for the secondary language, I think that you should go to Dashboard → WPML → Languages → Language URL format, choose Different languages in directories, and then go to hidden link to get the sitemap. Can you give this a try and tell me how it goes, please?

Thanks,
Radu

May 8, 2019 at 6:21 am #3764059

ouD

Hi Radu,

Yes, this is what I was wondering about the URL method, as it seems that URLs with the language added as a parameter woudn't work for a sitemap. We'd need to choose the URL method "different languages in directories."

I'll do some testing with this, as my Sitemaps are created by Yoast, and let you know. I tried what you suggested but there was no omeidachinese.com/ru sitemap automatically created when I changed the URL method.

May 8, 2019 at 8:55 am #3764799

Radu
Supporter

Hey,

Please try to use the directories option and try again to generate the sitemap. Just let me know how things work this time.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Choosing a Language URL’ is closed to new replies.