This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marcoP-89 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
April 2, 2020 at 8:21 pm #5826559

marcoP-89

I've started translating my website but I can't see anything in Italian (main language) because I'm always redirected to mysite/en (english is second language). In particular, for check, the string in the main page "don't settle" should be translated to 'non accontentarti'

what can I do?

April 3, 2020 at 1:50 am #5827429

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

I have done redirect check on your URL and it seems that there is an active 301 redirect to the /en/ version.

hidden link

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Server: nginx
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 01:49:18 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Connection: keep-alive
Expires: Wed, 11 Jan 1984 05:00:00 GMT
Cache-Control: no-transform, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate
X-Redirect-By: WordPress

Have you by any chance made any redirects within your .htaccess file or by using a 3rd party plugin?

Also please verify that within WPML->languages neither one of the languages is set to "Hidden".

April 3, 2020 at 6:02 pm #5834755

marcoP-89

I'm attaching my .htaccess (don't know the meaning of its content, should be autogenerated) and the 'languages' hide section. Maybe is strange that only english appears

is there something else I can check?

Marco

April 3, 2020 at 8:08 pm #5835429

Bobby
Supporter

That's expected, it won't show the default language.

If possible please contact your host provider regarding the redirect, also in the meantime I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed I recommend taking FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

April 6, 2020 at 6:09 pm #5851315

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details!

There is a redirection coming from WordPress due to the translations not being 100% done.

Your default language within WPML->Languages is set to Italian but within Pages there are only 2 Italian pages available and 30 English ones.

You will need to translate the English pages to Italian, especially the homepage as at the moment it still "in progress".

I just saved the translation for your homepage as a test and it shows as expected now.

Let me know your results, please.

April 7, 2020 at 1:34 pm #5857831

marcoP-89

hello, you showed me images from the backend but I want that the visitor can see the translation. I've marked all pages as translated, even with the original english text, but as you can see in hidden link there is the string "don't settle" visible while in the italian page hidden link (without en) the string isn't translated to 'non accontentarti' and isn't visible at all. Also the 'ask for a demo' string in the english version doesn't appear in the italian version hidden link of the frontpage website, although I've created a real translation.
is there something else to setup?

Marco

April 7, 2020 at 7:34 pm #5860629

Bobby
Supporter

Your site's default language is Italian, are you translating from Italian to English or from English to Italian?

Also if I view your Home page the page builder is blank in the backend, are you using templates and if so how are you adding them?

April 8, 2020 at 10:15 am #5864847

marcoP-89

wpml proposes me english to italian (first image) and I've put some italian text in the italian translation (second image). About templates: I've bought this: hidden link and installed the 'corporate' theme following instructions. Then I bought and installed wpml for translations. At the beginning the domain I used was another, not hidden link but it was using a shared ssl certificates and I got an alert on wpml->Languages->Language URL format that now with hidden link url is not present (ssl certificate now is not shared). Passing from the old url to the new one has caused the images in the background of the blue area at the beginning of the home page disappear: this is due to a license problem with that component but I can assure you that also if I go back to using the old domain/url with shared certificate the translation issues I have are the same that I face now. If you need to check I can swap to old domain/url.
I don't think that I have added/removed components from home page because I don't know how to do it

April 8, 2020 at 5:38 pm #5868667

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the additional information but to make sure I understand the problem you are facing clearly , what is your objective and the issue you are facing with WPML ?

To change your URL structure to hidden link for English you need to set Italian as the default language.

The original issue in the thread was about the translation always redirecting which happened due to the translations not being 100% finished.

April 8, 2020 at 5:55 pm #5868797

marcoP-89

the base question is: what do I have to do to see 'non accontentarti' instead of "don't settle" in my home page? at first it was due to redirection to /en and this is not an issue anymore thanks to your suggestion but the base problem is still there, the translation exists as a I showed you in the previous images and as you can directly see using given credentials

April 9, 2020 at 4:52 pm #5878327

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

I am trying to access your site but I see the following warning.

April 10, 2020 at 2:35 pm #5884509

marcoP-89

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!