This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by alimB 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
March 13, 2019 at 3:17 am #3329599

alimB

I've done my research on Translate v/s Duplicate and it's a bit confusing.. From my understanding if I duplicate it will clone the post but still be linked in some way.. and now when the translator edits the duplicate and completes it the link still remains. And now assuming I have the original ENGLISH and the duplicate in ARABIC, I am still not clear what you mean by 'if the original one is edited, it will affect the duplicate too'.. the original is in English so if I were to add 2 words in English, would those 2 words appear in the Arabic one too? And if they do, would they appear in English? Please do clarify this for me.

Secondly the Translate option does not create a duplicate, so I think I would normally use this.. but I would still like to know if I were to duplicate and then do an independent translate option then is it as good as going back to the 'Translate' option?

March 14, 2019 at 4:19 am #3340301

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

Duplicate as it terms is a duplication (clone) of the original post.

While editing the duplicated post and editing/saving it, the duplicated post will automatically be translated post.

While you make some changes in the original language, the changes are automatically shown on the duplicated post. On Translated post, you will have to make translation changes accordingly.

So for example, you have created a duplication of English post for Arabic language, if you make any changes in English post, it will show exactly the same in Both English and Arabic language.

But if you make any changes in Arabic language, the duplicate status will be converted to translate status and the changes will be only visible in Arabic language.

Creating a duplicate and then after that translate independently is same as using translate option, but since all the data are already copied while duplicate it makes sometimes easier to translate if you have bunch of data and only want to translate few of them.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

April 4, 2019 at 1:32 pm #3535325

alimB

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!