This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Amit.

Author Posts
March 21, 2019 at 2:06 pm #3406577

Yuasa01

Tell us what you are trying to do? I recently updated Wpml to the latest version. WP and all the other plugins are up to date, too. The Wpml settings I use on my localhost dev. website are shown on the attached screenshot. However, I suddenly noticed that some products for the WooCommerce shop, though all of them already existing there were translated from German to English with the Classic Translation Editor, were not displayed in the Classic Translation Editor mode while switching from the German translation to the English one. As a new feature on each product page and also on all regular pages and post pages there's now the special option to activate or deactivate the Classic Translation Editor mode for a specific product, page and so on.
When I activated that for all products the issue's gone.
So what I'd like to know: have you noticed this some kind of strange behaviour, too? Then I'd also like to know more about the option for new content that offers the choice between Classic and Advanced Translation Editor. On my live website I activated the Classic Translation Editor for new content. However, is there a way to deactivate it again on the Wpml setting page?

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

March 22, 2019 at 5:04 am #3437503

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

1. Let me check that I have understood your question.

After upgrading to the latest version of WPML, products that were translated with the CTE (Classic Translation Editor) are only opening in the CTE if you set this mode for ALL products. You are wondering if this is "normal".

1.1. Is this correct?

1.2. What is happening if you did NOT set the CTE for all products. Was it opening in the ATE? or in the native WordPress editor?

2. You asked: "I'd also like to know more about the option for new content that offers the choice between Classic and Advanced Translation Editor."

The primary difference is the location of where the "non-committed" translated content is stored,. In both cases, the translated strings are not written to the post-content field of the database until you mark the translation as "complete and save". Only when you mark the translation as complete are the contents of the translation editor synchronised to the wp-posts table.

If you use the CTE, then the translattions are held in the string translation table (ie. icl_strings). If you are using the ATE, then the strings are held in a separate server away from your installation. This is how machine translation is able to happen.

This is why the system mentions that you may not use translations from the CTE if you switch to ATE. The ATE will not "pick up" the older translations.

3. You wrote: ".. is there a way to deactivate it again on the Wpml setting page?.."
As I wrote above, the two systems are not able to see each other. So, yes, you can switch between them, but the state of each translation string might be different between the 2 systems.

Does this answer your doubts?

March 22, 2019 at 7:49 am #3438193

Yuasa01

Dear Yvette
Thanks for your reply.
So regarding issue 1. I noticed that some products do not open in CTE when I switch from the German to the English translation though they were initially created with CTE. They open in the native classic WP editor (I use the WP classic editor plugin). However, some products do open in CTE. So yes, I am wondering if this is normal after all the updates related to WP Gutenberg.

3. Have a look at the screenshot attached. When I tick the option "Use WPML's Classic Translation Editor" for new content as I did on one of my live websites how can I disable it again? As it seems to me after ticking this option the only change possible is to switch to ATE or back to CTE. But in either case one of it is always enabled.

March 22, 2019 at 3:02 pm #3441615

Yvette
Supporter

1. To answer this question, could I see a "actual" case? Otherwise, I think I may not give the correct response.

I am opening the private area for the information that is only visible between you and WPML Support. Please also include the instructions to see what you are seeing.

2. ATE v. CTE v. WordPress Editor
From the WPML perspective, you will need to have ONE of the editors selected. e.g. the choice is a radial button so it is required to choose one.

If you wish to not use WPML at all (e.g. you want the WordPress Editor) then you should choose to turn off WPML editing from within the post type. (see image) . This will control at the individual post, post type or site levels.

March 24, 2019 at 9:20 am #3447899

Yuasa01

Dear Yvette
Have a look at screenshots 1-3. All products were initially translated from German to English with the CTE. Strangely enough, some products show up in the CTE mode when switching from the German to the English version while others stay in the WP Editor. Have a look at screenshot 1. This is an example where the English translation shows up in CTE. However, on the right side there's a new cogwheel symbol I haven't seen before.
Screenshot 2 shows an example where the English translation shows up in WP Editor when I click on the typical pencil symbol on the right side. Screenshot 3 shows the English page in WP Editor mode after clicking the pencil symbol.
I also get very often the message shown on screenshot 4. Do I have to bother about this?
And then finally screenshots 5 & &: When I go to the WooCommerce Multilingual settings page in order to configure how the WooCommerce products are translated I only see some settings that don't seem to have a great effect on how to translate the products. Is that the way it's supposed to look like?

March 25, 2019 at 5:50 pm #3456953

Yvette
Supporter

Here are my responses.

1. Screenshot 1
The "gear" box indicates to me that a translation is/was "in progress" and this would be why the Translatio Editor would still be opened.

2. Screenshot 2
A "pencil" icon indicates to me that no open translation jobs exist and therefore the system will now read the current configuration and open whichever editing option is currently configured (native, CTE, or ATE).

3. Screenshot 4
This is an informatory message. Depending on how you have setup the multilingual content setup for custom fields, you may/may not see particular content available for trnaslation in the Translation Editor.

In this case, ou would need to access the wordpress native vew. But, the recommended way to translate your products is to always use the Wooocommerece Multilingual panel interface since this would always push you to the currently configured translation mode.

4. Screenshot 5
This is a leftover message that should be removed in the next release. In the past, the option to activate the WPML Trnslation Editor was on Screen 6. It has since been moved to the product editor view...just like in normal posts/pages....allowing for more granular control on where to use the Translation Editor.

In short - the message is a hangover from last release and should not be there.

I hope this answers your questions.

March 25, 2019 at 7:13 pm #3457631

Yuasa01

Dear Yvette

Thanks for your reply.
Regarding the cogwheel on screenshot 1 I've never seen it before. I'm only used to the pencil symbol and the two counter clockwise running arrows like in screenshot 7 for a translation that needs to be updated.
As I already mentioned the cogwheel is only displayed in cases where the product was first translated to German and then to English using the CTE from the beginning. However, when I switch to the English version the product page is shown in WP Editor instead of CTE.
I still haven't got an answer regarding this issue. It seems to me that the wpml plugin is scrambling somehow different modes.

Kind regards

March 25, 2019 at 10:15 pm #3458495

Yvette
Supporter

Without being able to see the concrete case, it´s difficult to answer the question.

What I can do, if you are unwilling to give access to your site, it to offer you the following sandbox which has been pre-loaded with the latest WPML plugins.

If you suspect that you know the sequence of steps to replicate the error, then I would ask you to please do so here and let me know once it´s been created.

Here is the login for the site.
hidden link

The site is good for 7 days.
Kind regards

March 26, 2019 at 7:22 am #3459571

Yuasa01

Dear Yvette
Thanks for your reply.
For security reasons I don't grant access to my live website. However, all the screenshots I provided are from my localhost dev website, which shows exactly the same issue regarding the translation of products.
Since your sandbox does not have WooCommerce products that were created before the Gutenberg upgrade I can offer you a duplicator archive of my dev website.
Kind regards

March 26, 2019 at 7:42 am #3459763

Yvette
Supporter

Ok - please send me a link where I can download your duplciator archive to install on a local server.

i am opening the private area for this - use a filesharing service and only send the link as the forum will only accept uploads of <1MB

March 26, 2019 at 3:46 pm #3464231

Yvette
Supporter

Are you sure?

I regularly see German forum threads in our general support queue and we now have 2 full time German supporters in the team.

March 26, 2019 at 4:29 pm #3464589

Yuasa01

During the last 2-3 months I always got the message that the German support is closed.

March 28, 2019 at 3:45 am #3476709

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

Thank you for your patience. I installed your Duplicator package and opened the two cases that you included in your screenshots.

Here are my observations:
1. First, you currently have the Woocommerce Products set to NOT use the WPML Translation Editor. This is why, when you open the pencil icon, you will be placed in the native WordPress editor.

2. The "gears" is the new icon to indicate that a translation is "in progress" from the perspective of WPML.
You will always be placed into the Translation Editor (TE) if you started a CTE translation and is not yet marked as "complete". This is why, although you have set the TE "off" for Woocommerce products, it is still opening when you select the gears.

The "gears" replaces the old icon of the "lines in a circle".

If you "complete and save" the translation job in progress within the TE, then the pencil icon will re-appear. Then, if you select the pencil icon again, the system will check which mode you have enabled (in your case, the native wordpress editor) and open the translated product in that editor.

Does this explain what is happening?

In summary, the logic seems to be:
- if a translation is "in progress" from perspective of WPML, it will always force you into the Translation Editor regardless of the selected editing mode (TE enabled /TE not enabled).

- if the translation is not "in progress" (no gears icon), then the system will first check if you have enabled the TE for the page, product type or site. It it finds a "match" on any of these layers, it will open the translation in the Translation Editor otherwise, it will open the translated product in the native WordPress editor.

- In all cases, after determining that the translation should be opened in the Translation Editor, it will then check WHICH method to use: the CTE or the ATE as per your configuration setting

March 28, 2019 at 8:08 am #3477925

Yuasa01

Dear Yvette
Thanks for your reply.
However, as I told you all the products were from the beginning translated with the CTE. So I don't understand why this should not be enabled anymore.
Moreover, in the WooCommerce Multilingual settings there's no option where I could enable the CTE. So where should I do that now?
Or are you talking about the WPML setting for new content where it's possible to enable the CTE or ATE? But all the existing products are no new content so the setting regarding new content should not affect them in any way!
Kind regards

March 28, 2019 at 4:23 pm #3483793

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

1. Using CTE with Woocommerce Products
You wrote:
"I don't understand why this should not be enabled anymore. Moreover, in the WooCommerce Multilingual settings there's no option where I could enable the CTE. So where should I do that now?"

I answered these quesitons here in point 4 of my response: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/classic-translation-editor-and-woocommerce/#post-3456953

In summary: The message is a mistake. To enable CTE for Woocommerce products, you open any product for editing and turn the option to use WPML Translation Editor "on". You can then set the editor for only this product, all Woocommere products, for your entire site.

2. New v. Existing
You wrote:
"But all the existing products are not new content so the setting regarding new content should not affect them in any way!"

Please read this documentation carefully:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/translation-editor-options/?utm_source=wpmlplugin&utm_campaign=tm-settings&utm_medium=translation-editor-options&utm_term=translation-management

The concept of "new" is referring to a point in time with regards to configuration setting and not a point of time linked to post creation. Once you setup Tranlsation Management all translated content going forward is considered "new". e.g. it is not at the "post" level but at the "string" level.

The topic ‘[Closed] Classic Translation Editor and WooCommerce’ is closed to new replies.