Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Website has been using EUC-JP as an internal character encoding for mbstrings (mbstring.internal_encoding option). In this configuration PHP generates reported notice for every script that is using filter_input functions to filter strings (not only for WPML).

We've fixed this by changing internal encoding for mbstrings, by setting mbstring.internal_encoding to UTF-8 in htaccess file (using php_value directive).

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.89 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by steve 4 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Przemysław.

Author Posts
October 4, 2015 at 8:26 am #717461

steve

I'm getting incomplete install messages - screenshots attached...

October 5, 2015 at 10:44 am #717845

Przemysław

Hello,

thank you for your question. My name is Przemysław and I will help you with this problem.

First of all - can you tell me if this is a first time you are installing WPML on this site? If yes, please follow those steps below:
1. Disable all WPML plugins except WPML
2. Delete Migrate ICanLocalize Translation to WPML 3.2 (you do not need this if you have not installed WPML in the past)
3. Go to your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Languages
4. Follow the setup wizard
5. Activate rest of WPML plugins except WooCommerce Multilingual and configure them
6. Activate WooCommerce Multilingual

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you

October 5, 2015 at 11:03 am #717864

steve

Hi Przemysław,

I have followed the instructions - including deleting both the ICanLocalize file and the WooComm as this site will not be using Woo Comm - and I get the same issue. My template is from rocktettheme and I have been reading that there were some issues with Gantry - but I understood that these had been resolved... and suggestions?

Thanks

October 5, 2015 at 11:16 am #717878

Przemysław

Hello,

In this case, there is one more thing that you can do. According to documentation, WPML requires at least 128M of memory limit. Your WordPress limit is 40M. Please follow those steps below:
1. Create a copy of wp-config.php
2. Edit original file - find a line:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

3. Add this line above:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );

4. Upload modified file to your server

That should solve your problem.

Related link:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

October 5, 2015 at 11:37 am #717891

steve

Sorry - but that still doesn't work... here is the address of the blank screen in case that helps...

October 5, 2015 at 11:46 am #717906

Przemysław

Hello,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thank you

October 5, 2015 at 1:13 pm #717974

Przemysław

Hello,

Everything should be fine right know. I found that the value of your php setting mbstring.internal_encoding was EUC-JP. It should be UTF-8. Without this, you get an error and this caused a blank page.

I edited .htacces by adding this line:

php_value mbstring.internal_encoding UTF-8

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you

October 5, 2015 at 2:13 pm #718031

steve

Many, many thanks - I guess these are the things that will catch you out when you use a full template as a starting point!