Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: How to switch WPML editors in WPML 4.2 Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/translation-editor-options/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by charleneR-2 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
February 8, 2019 at 11:56 pm #3177336

charleneR-2

I am trying to: I have new pages for my translators to edit. I have bought a publisher words package for machine translations. I have my site settings selecting the ATE editor for all new translation projects. All of my translators are registered to use ATE. When my translators click the "translate" button the page opens in the Classic editor. We want to use the ATE editor. Is there a way to force a page to open in ATE instead of Classic? We were using the ATE editor before. This seems to have changed after the recent update to all the WPML plugins.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
You have to be logged in as a translator.

I expected to see:
new translation jobs to open in the ATE so that we can use the machine translator.
Instead, I got:
a new page that needs to be translated opens in the Classic editor instead.

February 11, 2019 at 12:57 pm #3182925

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

As you noticed, quite a lot has changed in regards in choosing translation editor and how all of this works. Can you navigate here and see how you got it set:

WPML -> Settings -> How to translate posts and pages.

You can change how to translate both new and old content. You can also choose this per page now.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

te-setting-per-page.jpg
ate-setting.jpg
February 12, 2019 at 12:07 am #3185719

charleneR-2

My settings have been set to use the ATE editor for all new jobs the entire time. Somehow my site started opening new jobs in the Classic WPML editor. What I have discovered is that I can cancel an existing job and then send it again and now it seems to be opening in the ATE editor again.

I have the second set to use the classic editor if the page was originally translated in the classic editor. After the editors changed some of my translators edited a few pages in the classic editor and I can't find an easy way to see which ones were edited in classic and which in ATE so I don't want to mess with that.

As for the "per page" option. It looks like that menu item only lets you decide whether to edit in the WPML editor (it doesn't say whether it is classic or ATE) or unchecking it lets you edit the page directly in wordpress. Is that correct? After my translators have finished their translations I often need to open every page or product directly in wordpress and correct formatting and make sure the correct page template is selected. That is where I then "Publish" the page because when they are done all pages are saved as draft. I don't see where changing this "per page" setting gives me the ability to open the translation in the ATE editor instead of the classic editor. Am I missing something?

February 12, 2019 at 8:40 am #3187255

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Let me try to answer the best I can:

As for the "per page" option. It looks like that menu item only lets you decide whether to edit in the WPML editor (it doesn't say whether it is classic or ATE) or unchecking it lets you edit the page directly in wordpress. Is that correct?

Yes, this is correct. The thing is that within WPML settings, it is not possible to choose default WordPress editor any more. You can choose either ATE or CTE. Manual is available only through that option per page.

I don't see where changing this "per page" setting gives me the ability to open the translation in the ATE editor instead of the classic editor. Am I missing something?

It does not actually and you are definitely not missing anything here - it would take you to the option selected within "How to translate posts and pages" and you can't choose ATE or CTE here.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/translation-editor-options/

Please see this note however:

For content already translated using Classic Translation Editor, you should keep using that editor. Switching to Advanced Translation Editor would mean translating that content all over again.

I definitely encourage you to suggest any feature you think WPML users may benefit from:
https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Please describe your suggestion in as much detail as possible, so that we can understand it and understand how it will make WPML better.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

February 12, 2019 at 8:14 pm #3190662

charleneR-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!