This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
September 20, 2018 at 8:40 am #2751454

gofluentM

Hi,

Where does WordPress base or getting the translations when adding country/language, is it in CODE or DEFAULT LOCALE?

My boss asked me to add NEW ZEALAND which is ENGLISH speakers and use the US language. Can we use the US language or code for newly created NEW ZEALAND translation?

Thank you.

September 21, 2018 at 9:47 am #2754652

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

Language Code and Default Locale are unique values. WPML has a list of 60 predefined languages. Please check the following documentation for more details. We can't modify the predefined Language Code and Default Locales. But we can add N number of new languages.

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/

But you can modify the Language Translations and Flag fields from WPML>>Languages>>Site Languages>>Edit Languages.

Please check the attached images for more details and let me know your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 24, 2018 at 8:12 am #2759702

gofluentM

Hello,

Thank you for your help.

We already know how to add new languages. Where does WordPress pull out the translations? Is it from CODE or DEFAULT LOCALE?

September 24, 2018 at 3:39 pm #2761115

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

The WordPress translations(strings) are coming from the Locales set for a language. The WordPress Polygot team has defined locale for all the languages. Please check the attached image and following links for more details.

hidden link

hidden link

Most of the themes and plugins will provide the translations(for the strings) in commonly used Languages according to this locale settings.

Please check and let me know your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

The topic ‘[Closed] Code or Default locale’ is closed to new replies.