Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 2 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
March 7, 2019 at 8:19 pm #3286804

charleneR-2

Tell us what you are trying to do? 1. My client would like for me to turn on the browser redirect setting so that visitors will get the translated version of the site if applicable. I read your instructions and there is a comment about Google possibly translating the wrong version of the site. We have carefully added the foreign language versions in all SEO tags and are using the language suffix added to the ends of urls, and permalinks are in the translated languages but the domain and root directory are all english. I am wondering if you think this will confuse Google. I don't want to mess up their SEO.
2. I am using a GDPR cookie notification plugin "GDPR Cookie Consent Banner". The cookie notice is set to show on first time visit only on the home page. It is working when I first go to the page in English, then I switch to another language without accepting and the banner goes away. I was wondering if enabling the browser redirect would cause the cookie notification to appear in each language. Are you familiar with how this should work with WPML?

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? Here is an example url:
hidden link

March 9, 2019 at 6:26 am #3297170

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

1. What the browser redirect setting will do is that it will detect the browser language that the site visitor is using and it will serve him that language. As long as you have the hfreflangs and the languages set up correctly, there should be no issue.

Here you can also find more info about hreflang tags:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/

2. Regarding the second question, from what I can see, it doesn't show any second time, no matter the language (even if I switch back to the main language where it first showed). Also, if I go straight to Spanish from a new browser that doesn't have any saved cache and cookies, the banner shows correctly in that language but it doesn't show a second time.

So I guess that maybe that's how the GDPR plugin is set: to show only once per visit (this is done by saving in a cookie the fact that the current browser viewed that GDPR banner once already).

Hope this information was helpful 🙂

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei