Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Tunde Maria Kovacs 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 26, 2022 at 1:00 am #11310317

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Tell us what you are trying to do? The connect to translation was not showing, so I translate manually but I need to link: hidden link with hidden link It just redirect to our home page. How can we correct this? Both page are good and translated but not connecting.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? https:vivanti.ca

Translation.png
May 26, 2022 at 5:14 am #11311853

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Your screenshot shows an English original page.

The option to connect translations with original content in this case should be selected on a French page.

Apart from that this English page has a translation in progress.

This means you are redirected to the homepage because the translation does not exist yet, as it is not completed to 100%.

Do you have an issue with the WPML Translation Editor, not opening, as explained here?

https://wpml.org/en/faq/translation-status-stuck-or-displaying-the-error-wpml-didnt-manage-to-translate-this-page/

Possible Solutions:
1) Under WPML > Translation Management or WPML > Translations, do you see a dialog that indicates that WPML has been migrated?
The WPML translation editor cannot function until this dialog has been completed.

2) Please also check that all users who are allowed to use the translation editor have a valid first and last name in the WordPress profile.

3) If the problem still doesn't appear to be solved after this, you should try registering WPML on the website again.

You will need to remove the site URL from your WPML account and then re-enter it to get a new site key, which you can then use to re-register WPML in WordPress.

More information here:
https://wpml.org/en/faq/how-to-install-wpml/

4) Alternatively, if none of this works, I would advise downgrading to WPML 4.5.6. The plugin can be downloaded here:

https://wpml.org/en/download/wpml-multilingual-cms/?section=changelog

Let us know if further assistance is needed.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 26, 2022 at 1:49 pm #11316835

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Hi, I have inserted 2 screenshots. You will see the English post translator page, it displays a French translation but if you look at the French post translator page page, only the top fields are filled and all the rest is empty?

We need to fill that twice manually 2 times?

What is the original language for us to create a post first and then be able to connect it to translation with no issues afterwards?

Thank you!

French post translator page.png
English post translator page.png
May 27, 2022 at 3:00 am #11321839

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

The issue with empty fields in both languages is not a WPML issue. It is a known WordPress issue and the WordPress Team created this plugin in order to solve this:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/enable-jquery-migrate-helper/

Further, when using the Classic Translation Editor you will miss some features that only come with our new Advanced Translation Editor (ATE).

The ATE works with translation memory, which means that equal string segments will be auto-completed and you will not need to fill them out twice.
Further, it comes with an automatic translation feature and a Glossary.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/

The downside is that the ATE does not output HTML, but there are ways to find and translate non-visual elements like links or image sources.

More details:
hidden link

Another downside is, that if you already translated content with the Classic Translation Editor, then you might need to redo those translations when switching the WPML settings towards using ATE for older content.

See WPML > Settings > Translation Editor options.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/translation-editor-options/

Best regards
Andreas

May 27, 2022 at 1:31 pm #11326693

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Hi,

1. I still need to know how to connect my 2 posts?

2. In the future, the post should be connected t translation from French to English or from English to French as I don't know what is the original language

May 27, 2022 at 1:37 pm #11326725

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Basically, which post do I delete (French or English) so when I will create it again, the button: connect to translation will be available and then, both wil be connected properly with the language switcher as usual.

May 27, 2022 at 7:48 pm #11330273

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Could it be that the original post has a translation in progress and this is why you can not connect anything?

Please check at WPML > Translation Management > Jobs. You can cancel ongoing translations by clicking on the red cross on the right side of each row (job).

If this will still not unlock the connection field, please allow me to have a closer look at the issue as an admin user.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

The steps are also shown in this video: hidden link

Best regards
Andreas

May 27, 2022 at 8:13 pm #11330319

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Hi Andreas,

I did your procedure and the connect to translation appeared on the English page (My back hurts- What should I do?) but it doesn't display the French translation (Mon dos me fait mal- Que dois-je faire?). How can we make the connect to translation appear on the French post? (As then, I will see the English translation available) This has to do with the primary language, meaning that I must create the French post first, then the English to connect.

If you look at attachment, I assume that filling the translation with the + sign will not help.

Instead I created the English post first, then the French and had this issue since then.

Let me know if this make sense. Thank you!!

Manual translation.png
May 27, 2022 at 9:03 pm #11330655

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I would like to assist you with this task and request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

The steps are also shown in this video: hidden link

Best regards
Andreas

May 28, 2022 at 4:08 am #11332401

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

This case was kind of odd.

I found a translation job that was created in 2019 and it was still in progress, but the original content for this job did not exist anymore.

After canceling this stuck translation job, I was able to connect the translation.

Best regards
Andreas

May 28, 2022 at 12:39 pm #11333671

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Hi, you didn't fix the issue: The French post: hidden link should be connected with the English hidden link

Please correct this post and let me know what you fixed before?

May 28, 2022 at 1:31 pm #11333751

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

This is odd, as I exactly connected those two posts yesterday and it was working.

I now connected them again by going to the English version of this post, clicking "Connect with translation" in the right sidebar, typing "Mon" and then selecting the French post, while deciding in the follow-up dialog that the FR version should be the original.

It is now again working:

hidden link

I can currently use the language switcher to switch to:

hidden link

My question is, what was done on the site in the meantime that could have caused the posts to suddenly no longer be connected?

Best regards
Andreas

May 28, 2022 at 1:47 pm #11333807

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Hi Andreas,

Thank you very much!

Nothing was done on the site, I just emptied cache this morning, strange.

For the future, the procedure is to create the post first in French, then in English, so I can see the French post then in connect to translation, correct?

May 28, 2022 at 2:02 pm #11333817

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

You do not need to create independent posts in each language and then connect them manually.

The procedure would be to create the post first on French, then translate it with the WPML Translation Editor.

Let's say you create an FR post, then in the posts list or inside the right sidebar, you should see a "+" icon for the English version.

Click the icon and the WPML Translation Editor will open. In your case, the Classic Translation Editor is set by default inside the WPML Settings:

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/

Complete the translation to 100%.

The icon will change to a pencil once the translation is completed.

More details:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/#translating-your-site-yourself

Please let me know if you have further questions about this workflow.

Best regards
Andreas

May 28, 2022 at 2:03 pm #11333821

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Thank you very much for clarifying!!

Much appreciated! All is great!!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.