Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
August 21, 2018 at 5:44 am #2661885

vincentL-10

I have some terms in a taxonomy.

Both the versions in the language exist but they aren't connected.

I need a way to connect existing taxonomy terms together.

I do see an option by the name Taxonomy Translation but when I try to mention slugs of existing taxonomies they aren't connecting.

Instead, it creates a new taxonomy term with the same slug with -1 appended to it.

August 21, 2018 at 5:44 pm #2664241

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

If I understand correctly, you have created a taxonomy in your default language, and then separately created a taxonomy in your secondary language, and you want to connect these. Correct?

If this is the case, go to Posts -> Tags (or whichever taxonomy it is) and edit the translated taxonomy term. There you will see the "This is a translation of" and a drop down to select the term to link it to. Please see attached screenshot.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.

August 21, 2018 at 11:04 pm #2665020

vincentL-10

Yes, I've seen this before but I do not see this menu on the current installation. Is there somewhere we have to activate it from?

August 22, 2018 at 1:16 pm #2666914

Lauren
Supporter

It should automatically display. Are you sure you are viewing the taxonomy in the secondary language? It will not show if you view the taxonomy in the default language.

If you are not seeing this on the secondary langauge, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

August 23, 2018 at 2:43 pm #2670529

Lauren
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

August 23, 2018 at 6:41 pm #2671235

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for sending credentials. I can see you are using an outdated of WPML plugins. Please update to the latest version 4.0.5 and check if the issue persists. If the issue remains, I'd like to have you try a few things so we can try to isolate the issue. This is just to help me identify if it might be a conflict with another plugin or theme that is causing the problem.

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

Update all WPML plugins & WordPress core.

Disable all plugins except WPML related and then temporarily change the theme to a default WordPress such as TwentyFifteen. With these settings, is the issue resolved?

The topic ‘[Closed] Connecting Existing terms in a taxonomy’ is closed to new replies.