Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tairaC 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
June 25, 2020 at 8:57 pm #6456987

tairaC

Hello,
due to a problem, through assistance i was advised to change the url of the articles. The problem has been solved, but now I find the old links with ?Lang=en which, if clicked, take me back to the article in Italian and are unable to redirect to the new links /en.

I would like to understand how to do it and above all, if all this will lead me to problems in search console like duplicate links or other since the links were already indexed.

Hold link: hidden link

hidden link

thank you in advance

June 26, 2020 at 3:39 am #6458475

Bruno

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us. This is to be expected, because the moment you changed the URL format, WPML is no longer monitoring the language code as a parameter.

That is, when you access the URL with the language code by parameter, WPML will not know that it is the language code and will redirect to the default language.

Thank you.

June 26, 2020 at 6:00 am #6458955

tairaC

hi,
ok but this change can have negative consequences creating problems on Google search console?

June 26, 2020 at 6:06 am #6458959

Bruno

Hello,

For pages already indexed, the original content will be displayed. For the other pages, Google will need to reindex your site for the pages to be displayed in the secondary language.

In other words, the impact this will cause will be the need for Google to re-index your site in the secondary language as the old links (with parameter) will not be related to the secondary language (now with directory format).

Thank you.

June 26, 2020 at 7:24 am #6459255

tairaC

Thank you so much for the clarification.

June 26, 2020 at 7:25 am #6459257

tairaC

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!