Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Amit 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Amit.

Author Posts
July 10, 2019 at 1:46 pm

noamK-2

Hello,

1. Our website's main Language is English. Secondary is Hebrew - a right-to-left language.

2. We use Classic Translation Editor for translating all our content, except when it is required to use string translation.

3. WordPress version, theme version and all plugins are all up-to-date. Our theme - Consulting Theme by StylemixThemes, is on your list of compatible themes.

4. WE DO NOT USE WPML TO TRANSLATE CONTACT FORM 7 FORMS. Instead, we created a set of English forms and a set of Hebrew forms, each with its own shortcode.

5. We have just encountered 2 issues with CF7. which have not existed before. They were probably caused by a recent update to WPML plugins.

The issues are as follows:

5.1 in Page Edit of our English Contact Us page, we inserted a CF7 shortcode of an English CF7 form, into a text block inside the accordion section Request for Services Products or Information - hidden link

5.2 When we then push the circle icon to translate the page to Hebrew through Translation Editor, the following happens:

5.2.1 The CF7 Shortcode in the English version, on the left hand-side, is not displayed for some reason, inside the English text block it is in.

5.2.2 On the right hand-side, inside the corresponding Hebrew text block, the English form CF7 shortcode is not displayed either.

This is GOOD and has always been that way. We do NOT want the English shortcode there. Because we now insert a shortcode of the corresponding Hebrew CF7 form.

We push Save and Close button.

5.3.3 However, now, when we visit the Hebrew Contact Us page, we see the following phenomena: under the Hebrew CF7 form, there is ALSO the English CF7 form!!

See it here: hidden link

5.4.4 This means that the shortcode of the English CF7 form was copied automatically by WPML into the Hebrew translation for some reason.

This has never happened before, and we could not find a setting, to fix it and prevent the CF7 shortcodes from being copied automatically from English pages, into the translated Hebrew pages.

Please see the following marked screenshots:
- Hebrew Contact Us page with the Hebrew form and the English form under it.
- The Contact Us Page Edit with the English CF7 shortcode in it.
- The Contact Us Translation Editor, where you can see the Hebrew CF7 shortcode on the right hand-side.

6. The second issue with CF7 is as follows: on the Become and Alliance Partner page hidden link, we use a CF7 form module, with a dropdown list of all available CF forms.

However, this module is missing from translation editor.

Please see the following marked screenshot:

- Page Edit with the CF7 module.

Can you please help?

Thank you and looking forward for your urgent response,

Noam Kroll

July 10, 2019 at 8:16 pm #4184277

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hi there,

Thank you for the detailed information it has allowed me to further test this issue

1. I test the issue on a clean environment with just WPML + CF7 + a default theme and no page builder and it worked as expected.

you can find the installation here
=> One Click Login:hidden link

page with contact form
=> hidden link

Now i also was able to reproduce the issue you are reporting but i had to do some extra steps first.

You reported that in the WPML Translation Editor on the left side(English version) you dont see the shortcode for CF7, therefore i am guessing you go ahead and re add it for the Hebrew version in the translation, this is why you get both the Hebrew and English version.

The shortcode is not shown in the Translation editor but it is still there and WPML still copies it over. The problem here is that since its not picked up you are not able to subsitute it with the Hebrew version rather when you add the Hebrew CF7 it is as if you just added a second CF7 to the default English one.

i was able to reproduce this with a pagebuilder and also when using the guttenberg blocks , the shortcode is not shown within the Translation Editor.

for example if you were to use only the Classic WordPress editor , then just add the CF7 shortcode in the body it would show.

here is a screencast of this to better understand what i am trying to convey.

=> hidden link

Also regarding the second issue this is most likely happening because the CF7 module is not currently supported as compatible between the page builder and WPML

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/how-to-build-multilingual-sites-with-wpbakery-page-builder-and-wpml/

The issue with CF7 shortcode not showing in the Translation Editor you mentioned did not used to happen before , if possible would you happen to remember which was the latest version of WPML you were using that this did not happen with ?

there is a possibility its being copied over by default as we now have introduce a compatibility between WPML + CF7 described here (could be the reason with the latest version of WPML why you are seeing this issue)
=> https://wpml.org/2019/02/announcing-contact-form-7-ml/

July 10, 2019 at 8:35 pm #4184289

noamK-2

Hello Bobby,

Thank you very much for your reply.

So what is the solution? Not sure why you ended your message without any solution for both issues.

Thank you,

Noam Kroll

July 10, 2019 at 8:52 pm #4184369

Bobby
Supporter

Hi Noam,

i was hoping you would remember your previous version of WPML that worked well and the shortcode showed up as expected that way i could further test it using the older version and then escalate my findings to our compatibility team for feedback

if you dont remember no worries, i will still escalate to our compatibility team and let you know their feedback

for your second issue i believe this is expected as its not a supported module for it not to show.
as a workaround you can edit the default language page->use the language switcher at the top header to switch to the secondary language -> this will allow you to remain in the page builder view and edit the contact form module

July 10, 2019 at 9:33 pm #4184597

noamK-2

Hello Bobby,

Sorry. I am not a developer, just a user.

Didn't understand your solution for the 2nd issue, and frankly, being a very experienced WPML user, I do not think this is a good workaround or solution.

1. For the 2nd issue - I would need to update the wpml-config file in the child theme. Please provide the code to add to the wpml-config file to make the CF7 module appear in translation editor.

This is exactly what we did in numerous similar issues previously, when different modules did not appear in translation editor. You provided the code to add to the wpml-config file in the child theme.

2. As for the first issue: We need a solution. As this is crucial. Since this issue is not specific only for our website, but a general compatibility issue that prevents using CF7 shortcodes in WPML, it needs to be resolved immediately.

If we can't use CF7 module and not CF7 shortcodes with WPML, it means CF7 can't be used on websites using WPML!!!

This issue needs to be reported immediately to Amit Kvint and Amir Helzer!! It is super crucial and affects numerous WPML users who use CF7 and WPBakery!!

I am emailing them directly from time to time. Do you want me to alert them as well? This needs to be resolved immediately!!

And as for your question: I assume the issue started with most recent WPML updates, but I am not 100% positive.

Looking forward for your response,

Noam Kroll

July 10, 2019 at 11:41 pm #4184719

Bobby
Supporter

This issue has been escalated to our developers, once i have some feedback you will be notified here.

July 11, 2019 at 1:57 pm #4190535

noamK-2

Hello Bobby,

Thank you very much.

But we had VERY bad experience previously with your 2nd tier support, where escalated issues were never resolved/answered, or replies that took months to receive and only following our pressures.

So I am very skeptic with this issue as well.

It is urgent and basic enough to require management attention. Did you notify Amit Kvint and/or Amir Helzer?

Please update me immediately regarding the solutions.

And I am still waiting to receive from you,the code that needs to be inserted to wpml-config, to solve the 2nd issue (CF7 module missing from Translation Editor.

Thank you,

Noam Kroll

July 11, 2019 at 3:56 pm #4191665

noamK-2

Hi Bobby,

Regarding the 2nd issue- (CF7 module missing from Translation Editor), I wanted to add the following:

1. This issue also did not exist before. It is New.

2. Look at this page again where this CF7 module is, and look at the CF7 form:
hidden link

3. Now, if you go to the Hebrew version of the page, you will see that there is Hebrew CF7 form there.

hidden link

When we previously translated this page to Hebrew using the WPML Classic Translation Editor, the CF7 module was there and we could select the Hebrew form!!!

Also, if you go to the Hebrew page edit, you will see the CF7 module is there!! But as with the CF7 shortcode, it is missing from the translation editor!!!

See attached screenshot of the Hebrew page edit which shows the CF7 module

4. So to summarize, this is also something that has probably been skewed by recent WPML version updates.

I now assume that both issues are exactly related to what you mentioned in your first reply - changes you made to how WPML works with CF 7 plugin, during February 2019.

Can you please add what I wrote here to what you sent your developers?

Thank you,

Noam Kroll

July 11, 2019 at 8:44 pm #4193069

Amit
Supporter

Hi Noam, I am aware of the issue and I am following the escalated ticket. Please give us some time to debug and see what we find.

Regards!
Amit

July 12, 2019 at 9:33 pm #4201683

noamK-2

Shalom Amit,

First, please let me apologize - for some reason, I did not get an email alert from your website when you posted your reply!! So I was not aware you actually saw this ticket 2 days ago!

Please ignore all emails I sent you during the last 2 days. So sorry for that.

Thank you so much,

Noam Kroll

July 12, 2019 at 10:51 pm #4201765

Bobby
Supporter

Hi Noam,

please try the following with using the Contact Form 7 multilingual plugin and let me know your results please ( i understand this is a different workflow but please let me know your results )

1. install Contact Form 7 multilingual
2. Go to Translation Management -> Filter by Contact Forms => select the contact form and send to translation=>go to the translation basket and send the job and afterwards go to WPML->Translations and take the translation

you should now be able to add a translation to your contact form using the Translation Editor allowing you to edit the Contact Form as you would when adding a different form per language

afterwards when you translate the page even though the form is not showing in the Translation Editor it will be automatically copied over and showcase the translation

let me know your results please

here is a screencast of all these steps to make it easier
=> hidden link

July 12, 2019 at 11:03 pm #4201773

noamK-2

Bobby,

Thanks, but this "solution" is NOT what we need.

We are not going to translate all our forms now!!!!! This is crazy!!

Noam Kroll

July 15, 2019 at 2:16 pm #4212059

noamK-2

Hello Bobby,

I would like to emphasize the following:

Up till now, you website's instructions say the following:

"For Gravity Forms, use Gravity Forms Multilingual. For other form plugins, you’ll need to create separate forms for each language. For an example, see how to translate Contact Form 7 forms."

It can be found here:

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/#forms

Which means, this is how we, your users, have been working with CF7 forms up till now!

So telling us now to re-create all our forms is not reasonable!! and involves heavy intensive labor, many developers working hours and a lot of money and headaches!!

You need to re-instate the option to work with CF7 forms as before!

July 15, 2019 at 6:44 pm #4214189

Bobby
Supporter

Please review the following screencast where i present you with 2 different workarounds to this issue

1. Go to Pages->Edit page->Add CF7 shortcode update and then add the translation
Then go to WPML->String Translation you will see a new string picked up with your Contact Forms ID , ex. "1234" now add a translation using the translated form's ID ex. "2345" and save the translation.

view your front end in Hebrew and you will notice your translated form

2. Go to Pages->Edit page-> Instead of using a ""text block" use a "raw HTML" block and add the shortcode within it, save and update and add the translation

within the Translation Editor you will see the shortcode being picked up now

I will also be updating our developers on these results but at the moment this is the best way to continue with your CF7 Translations without using Contact Form 7 Multilingual

Screencast : hidden link

July 15, 2019 at 6:54 pm #4214211

noamK-2

Hi Bobby,

The screencast can't be watched online. Its prompts to download. Why?

Is Amit Kvint aware of what is going on with this ticket?

We expect a real solution and not a tedious workaround! This is not an issue for "workaround". It is too crucial and basic!!

Noam