Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Somewhere in after the recent updates following WooCommerce 3.0, I have lost the ability to see the "Content / Description" translated text in my WPML editor even if this same translated text is visible on my Product page. Not all the products are affected, but most of them. If I try to translate a new product, everything is ok. So, only some of the products that have already been translated before updates are affected. Solution: The "affected" products were translated using the native WooCommerce interface so they are not using the new shortcode translation system.

The new translation system uses the String Translation plugin to register the shortcodes as strings. See the attached documentation.

As the "Content / Description" field is added using a Visual Composer shortcode, it is now registered as a string.

If you need to edit the translated Content / Description field in the products translated using the "old" system, you can use one of these methods:

1. Enable the "Native WooCommerce product editing screen" option in WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual -> Settings.

2. Copy the translated "Content / Description" field from the product translation in the frontend and paste it inside the empty translation box. - Now you can edit it and save. Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/page-builders/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Philippe 4 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Vincenzo.

Author Posts
July 7, 2017 at 8:19 pm #1314807

Philippe

Hi there,

Somewhere in the wind of the recent updates following WooCommerce 3.0, I have lost the ability to see the "Content / Description" translated text in my WPML editor (see Screenshot-1) even if this same translated text is visible on my Product page (see Screenshot-2). Not all the products are affected, but most of them (I have 2 098 products on this site). If I try to translate a new product, everything is ok. So, only some of the products that have already been translated before updates are affected. Problem occurs on product with or without variations.

I have tried:

- all the WPML troubleshooting tools.
- Cleaned the cache.
- Unactivated Minifying, Caching and Optimizing

Other point (I don't know if it's relevant...): when I inspect the empty box where my text should normally appear, I see this code: data-mce-bogus (see Screenshot-3).

Thank you for your help!

Screenshot-3.PNG
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-1.png
July 8, 2017 at 8:19 am #1314884

Vincenzo
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hello, thank you for contacting WPML Support!
I will take care of your ticket.

1. Can you please try to just save again the original product (French)?
- Does this fix the issue for that product translation?

2. Can you please try to do a small edit in the original description text (French) and save the product?
- Does this fix the issue for that product translation?

3. Can you please try to search the original description text in WPML -> String Translation using the search form?
- If you find the string, can you please tell me what is the status of the string? (translated, needs update).

4. Is it possible that the same exact description string is used in another product?
- If yes, can you please tell me if the other product has the same issue?

Thank you

July 9, 2017 at 5:04 pm #1315213

Philippe

Hi Vincenzo!

Thank you for your reply. So I have tried what you asked for, and here are the results:

1. Can you please try to just save again the original product (French)?
- Does this fix the issue for that product translation? Answer: No, it doesn't fix

2. Can you please try to do a small edit in the original description text (French) and save the product?
- Does this fix the issue for that product translation? Answer: No, it doesn't fix

3. Can you please try to search the original description text in WPML -> String Translation using the search form?
- If you find the string, can you please tell me what is the status of the string? (translated, needs update). Answer: Status: Untranslated (see Screenshot-4)

4. Is it possible that the same exact description string is used in another product?
- If yes, can you please tell me if the other product has the same issue? Answer: No, there are not two same exact descriptions, there is always a variable. (see again Screenshot-4)

If you need it, I can give you access credentials to do some tests on my developement website, which is a clone of my Production website.

Tante grazie e buona domenica!

Fra Filippo

Screenshot-4.PNG
July 10, 2017 at 11:22 am #1315684

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello Philippe,

thank you for your detailed answer.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your test site to take a better look at the issue.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok for you.

*Important: Be sure to backup your site and database first before you proceed!

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site.
This is also a reason the backup is really important.

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

July 11, 2017 at 2:37 pm #1316907

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello Philippe,

I checked your DEV website. From what I can see the "old" products were translated with the native WooCommerce interface so they are not using the new shortcode translation system.

The new translation system uses the String Translation plugin to register the shortcodes as strings. See the attached documentation.

As the Content / Description field is added using a Visual Composer shortcode, it is now registered as a string.

If you need to edit the translated Content / Description field in the "old" products, you can use one of these methods:

1. Enable the "Native WooCommerce product editing screen" option in WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual -> Settings.

2. Copy the translated Content / Description field from the product translation in the frontend and paste it inside the empty translation box (see: Screenshot-1.png).
- Now you can edit it and save.

Please let me know if this solves the issue or if you need further details.

Thank you

Related documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/page-builders/

July 13, 2017 at 1:30 pm #1318836

Philippe

Hello Vincenzo,

Thank you for your answer.

I did not dare copy the translated content from the frontend to the backend editor by fear to duplicate translated content in my database. I have few other questions:

1- Because since my translated content is still visible on my product frontend page, but not in my WooCommerce editing screen, neither on my WPML string editor, where is that translated content located?

2- There is no way to link it back again to WooCommerce editing screen or WPML string editor without having to copy/paste it from the frontend?

3- Is there a danger to definitively lose these translated field in a future WPML update?

4- Why is just the field "Content/Description" which is affected, and not all the other fields (Excerpt, Attributes, Product categories, product tags, etc)?

Thank you for your help!

July 13, 2017 at 2:44 pm #1318943

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello Philippe,

1. The translated content for the old products should be saved as a normal post in the wp_posts table.
- The translation should be visible and editable when you enable the "Native WooCommerce product editing screen" option in WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual -> Settings.
Once you enable the Native WooCommerce editor just use the top bar language selector to edit the translated products.

2. It should be possible to use the native WooCommerce editor. Have you tried to enable the "Native WooCommerce product editing screen" option in WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual -> Settings?

3. I don't think so but it would be better to choose one translation method and use only that one.

4. The field "Content/Description" is the only one affected because it is the only one where a Visual Builder shortcode has been used. If you add the content text without using a Visual Builder shortcode, the text is not registered by String Translation but translated as a field.

I think you can test the different solutions in your DEV site and then decide what is the best option for you.

Please let me know if you need further details.

Thank you

July 13, 2017 at 5:08 pm #1319082

Philippe

Hi Vincenzo,

Thank you so much for you patience. I think that my misunderstanding is in your answer to my question no. 2:

Question: There is no way to link it back again to WooCommerce editing screen or WPML string editor WITHOUT having to copy/paste it from the frontend?

Answer: It should be possible to use the native WooCommerce editor. Have you tried to enable the "Native WooCommerce product editing screen" option in WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual -> Settings?

Yes, I have tried to enable the Native Woocommerce product editing screen (see Screenshot-5). In fact, it was already activated since the beginning. I have unactivated it, and then reactivated it, but no change, my translated field is still empty. (see Screenshot-6) and my translated text is still not linked with the Strings translation (see Screenshot-7).

So: Or it is not possible to link back my database with my backend editor and I should do a copy/past for each "old" item, and the answer to my question 2 is "No", or else I don't understand what you told me to do, or else there is a little bug somewhere...

Thank's

Screenshot-7.PNG
Screenshot-6.PNG
July 13, 2017 at 5:19 pm #1319088

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello Philippe,

even if the Native WooCommerce editor is active, you are still using the Translation Editor as shown in your Screenshot-6. This happens because the translation job is still in progress.

In your DEV site try these steps:

- Go to the Edit page of the product in the original language
- Use the language selector in the top bar to switch to the secondary language.

This should allow you to use the Native WooCommerce editor to edit the product translation.

If this doesn't work, try marking as complete the product translation with the Translation Editor then try editing it again.
- I did not test if this will overwrite/clear the content/description translation so please take a copy of the translated text of the content field of that product.

Please let me know if this solves the issue or if you need further details.

Thank you

July 13, 2017 at 6:10 pm #1319116

Philippe

Hi Vincenzo,

Yes, by going in my Product's edit page, and selecting english, I'm able to edit my translated text directly in my Text Block. (See Screenshot-8).

By trying your second bet (marking as complete the product translation - even if it is already marked as completed), it overwrites the translated text with the original one, so that's not good.

But in no way, the empty field in the Native WooCommerce editor is linked back to the translated text.

If it is what you meant, that's ok, we can close this case. If there is something else I did not understand, please do the modification directly on my website and show me the result with Captured screen.

Thank's

Screenshot-8.PNG
July 13, 2017 at 6:26 pm #1319128

Vincenzo
Supporter

Hello Philippe,

I'm glad that you were able to edit the translation using the Native editor.

The second alternative was to be used in case the Native editor was not reachable until the translation was complete. But that was not the case.

There is no other way to match the old content translation (saved in a post field) to the new method (content saved as a string) except the copy/paste method showed in this post: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/content-description-translations-not-visible-in-wpml-editor/#post-1316907

Please let me know if you are satisfied with my answer and if I can help you with any other questions you might have.

Thank you

July 14, 2017 at 1:26 pm #1319729

Philippe

Hi Vincenzo,

Thank you for your help. We will go with this solution.