This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I'm not able to register Admin Strings to make them viewable in WPML String Translation. My hosting uses 129MB PHP Memory, but 256MB WordPress memory, which can't be fully used.

Solution: We were not able to reproduce the error on our Cloudways environment with sufficient memory. As the hoster was not willed to increase the PHP Memory Limit, the client switched the hosting to a VPS and register the stings worked.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by richardM-22 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
July 23, 2019 at 8:33 am #4263955

richardM-22

I am trying to: Translate the content fields for the Storefront Parallax Hero plugin under the hotel theme.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: In string translator only the admin fields for this plugin are translatable. I have checked the fields in "Translate texts in admin screens" and clicked "Apply" and I get a verification message that these fields are available to translate in string translation. They never appear there. I have also tried forcing the fields in via wpml-config.xml (maybe wrongly) but I can't get that to work either. I have read every other post on this topic, but can't get it to work. My hosting company says it cannot increase the memory available to wordpress either./

Instead, I got: Cannot translate the content fields for this plugin, only the admin texts (no use to me). Please help.

July 23, 2019 at 10:48 am #4265231

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Richard,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

Could you please post me a screenshot where I see the names you selected on the Admin Strings selection?

Your WordPress Limit would be with 256MB enough, the problem is that your PHP Limit only has 128MB, so WP can't use the full 256MB.

I would eventually also need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

✙ Please add the Links to the […] Edit Screen, the Page/Post where you insert the […] and the corresponding Front End Page/Screen

Please let me know.
Best Marcel

July 23, 2019 at 3:18 pm #4267369

Marcel
Supporter

Thanks, Richard,

it was also not working for me when applying the checkboxes and generating a custom XML config.

I noticed the following. The Translated Admin String menu shows many JS errors in the JS console. Your WP Memory Limit is correctly set to 256MB, but your PHP Memory is limited to 129MB, so WordPress can't allocate the full defined memory.

Could you please contact your host and fix this over the php.ini?

Please let me know

Best Marcel

July 23, 2019 at 3:32 pm #4267435

richardM-22

Hi Marcel,

I already tried to get my host to change that, but they refused and said there's no way I need that much memory - even they don't use that much etc etc. So unless I can find a good price host with high performance I am out of luck there.
I suppose this means we can't fix the problem. (Is there a way to force it, like using xml or PO file?)

July 23, 2019 at 3:52 pm #4267749

Marcel
Supporter

Sadly not, but I would like to migrate your site to our Cloudways server to confirm this as a memory problem. Is that OK for you?

Maybe if we can reproduce it, we can change the opinion from your hoster.

July 23, 2019 at 4:17 pm #4267967

richardM-22

Hi Marcel,

yes, please do. If I have to move off my host (they won't change the memory) then that's what I have to do. May be time, anyway. Thanks.

July 24, 2019 at 10:22 am #4273073

richardM-22

Hi Marcel,

the Cloudways migration has completed and the site looks to be up and running successfully.

July 24, 2019 at 10:57 am #4273579

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Richard,

We have now PHP Memory 512MB and WP Memory 256MB. I was able to make the Strings viewable over the checkboxes: hidden link

Login: hidden link
Memory overview: hidden link

Viewable Strings: hidden link

So I think you have something to prove a higher memory is necessary.

Please let me know how it goes.
Best Marcel

July 26, 2019 at 2:39 pm #4290181

richardM-22

Hi Marcel,

I have moved the site to a VPS where I can set what I like ;-). I have been able to extract the strings now.

July 26, 2019 at 4:34 pm #4291059

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Richard,

Great to hear that you were able to make the Strings viewable with the VPS hosting. You can mark the ticket please as resolved.

Have a nice weekend! 🙂

Best Marcel

July 26, 2019 at 5:58 pm #4291281

richardM-22

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!