Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Ahmed Ibrahim 2 years, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Ibrahim.

Author Posts
March 20, 2019 at 7:23 pm #3392829

John-Pierre Cornelissen

WPML is driving me insane. Every freaking time when I have to translate a new site or edit an existing site that is translated with WPML something is going wrong.

I have 6 websites with WPML and 37 (!!!) support tickets. That's an average of 6 tickets per website. This can't continue like this.

Please have a look at all my previous tickets and explain to me why WPML keeps on causing this many issues and tell me how you are going to deal with this to fix all that.

Thanks
JP

March 21, 2019 at 7:16 am #3396031

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I am very sorry seeing that you've been having so many issues so far. Issues with WPML can appear due to various reasons - themes/plugins not being compatible, server issues, various other reasons and bugs in WPML plugin and its addons.

On the other hand, WPML is actively used on more than 700 000 sites and most our client rarely or never reach support because it all works well for them.

As for this:

Please have a look at all my previous tickets and explain to me why WPML keeps on causing this many issues and tell me how you are going to deal with this to fix all that.

I am sure that you'll appreciate that I can't give you any general answer to this nor I have an idea on how the answer might look. Our developers do, however, work on bugs and features as they come and are requested, while theme/plugin incompatibility issues are sometimes out of our scope since authors are not interested into joining Go-Global Program or they have resources to do so.
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 21, 2019 at 9:31 am #3397347

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

By you saying there are so many websites without having any issues, it's all the more reason I would like someone to have a look at all my support tickets and then tell me what is going so badly wrong with my sites all the time and how we can avoid that.

So no I don't appreciate that you can't give any general answer to this nor that you have an idea on how the answer might look.

- I don't accept a standard canned response to this ticket.
- I don't want to hear that there are 700.000 sites without issues.
- I want to know why I have 37 tickets with my 6 sites.
- I don't want you to treat this as a regular support ticket.
- I want you to treat this as a big complaint.
- A simple sorry is not enough anymore.

The biggest issue is that I keep loosing translations in the translation editor:
- I update a page
- I go to the translation editor to update the translations accordingly
- I see that the original translations are gone and everything has to be translated again
- If that happens, the original published page still shows the translations, but they are gone from the translation editor. Why?

I pay to get these sites translated. If WPML looses translations, I either have to pay again, or spent a hell of a lot of time to copy the translations from the published pages back again into the translation editor that lost them. That's unacceptable and I need you to fix that.

And as for compatibility, I use the Divi theme which is listed as a compatible theme.

Thanks
JP

March 21, 2019 at 1:00 pm #3403609

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi, this is Ahmed Ibrahim from the 2nd tier support team.

We lately experienced similar behaviour on our site, and our developers have made a fix for it and it was released yesterday in our beta WPML Translation Management Version 2.8.4-b.1, please check the changelog here: https://wpml.org/download/wpml-translation-management/?section=changelog

So please download the three beta packages for WPML, ST and TM, then test it on your site, and let me know if it resolves your issue.

Best Regards.

March 21, 2019 at 2:23 pm #3407207

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks, tried it and it doesn't solve the current problem.

The problem I have this time is caused by global modules with selective sync (Divi theme).
This ticket: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-divi-global-modules-selective-sync-issue/

I asked for a status update there yesterday and didn't get a reply back yet. Looks like the issue isn't fixed in the beta you gave me either. That's bad.

--
The issue about loosing translations is my biggest issue, but I mentioned it as an example.

I primarily created this separate ticket to express my dissatisfaction about all the issues I keep on experiencing with WPML. I want to know why I get all these issues and what can be done to prevent them.

Thanks

March 21, 2019 at 3:29 pm #3409845

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

I have checked the state of the ticket: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-divi-global-modules-selective-sync-issue/ and as I can see that it has been escalated to our development team, and it is in their queue, so I asked our support manager to check with the development team if they can find a solution for this issue sooner.

About losing the translation when updating the original content issue, as I understand that you have tried the beta version and you can still replicate the same behaviour right?
If this is right, send me a copy for your site, with steps to see the issue, and I will quickly debug the issue to see why this happen on your site.

I will set the next reply as private for you, so please create a duplicator package and upload it to an online drive, and send me the link to download it in the next private reply and I will check it.

Please let me know if you have any stuck ticket and I will check its progress.
Best Regards.

March 21, 2019 at 5:21 pm #3414381

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hi, did you read my last message in the other ticket?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-divi-global-modules-selective-sync-issue/#post-3408579

The problem is the global module with selective sync. Maybe it is explained better here
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-divi-global-modules-selective-sync-issue/#post-3221289

This is past trying to reproduce the harm has already done. On that site I have 8 pages where the footer is affected by that issue. With 3 languages to translate, it means I lost 8x3=24 translations.

Is there a way to get that back?

PS 1: there is no private reply option

PS 2: I appreciate you trying to help solving this particular issue, but I still also want to know why I get all these issues and what can be done to prevent them in future.

March 22, 2019 at 9:12 am #3438803

Amit
Supporter

Hi there, Amit here I am the WPML support manager.

I am sorry about this issue taking long to resolve, I have just discussed with our lead developer and we will do our best to include the fix soon, I can't promise date or release since we already have a closed (in testing) next release and this one will probably not make it to it.

As Ahmed said in his last comment - we can happily fix this for you until we have that really fixed.

You are welcome to email me directly - amit.k@onthegosystems.com - if you have any other concerns or issues you'd like to raise.

Thanks!
Amit

March 22, 2019 at 1:40 pm #3440803

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

For the Divi issue, I have read your replies in the other ticket, and as Amit said the issue has been prioritized, we have to wait for the developers fix, and I will update you soon I get any news.

For the lost translations in the footer, have you translated the content by a local translator or using a translation service? If you are using a TS we can try to re-deliver the content again.

Sorry for the private reply, maybe I forgot to mark the option, and I will do for the next one, so please send me your site copy, and I will check it.

You have mentioned that your site is losing the translation when updating the original post, so can you please give me a link to some example posts to help me check the issue.

Best Regards.

March 25, 2019 at 5:35 pm #3456851

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

There was an open discussion about this issue between the dev and compatibility team, and they are going to fix the issue but the fix will not be included in the next version, because the fix will be complicated and they will not be able to delay the next version because it has some important features that should be released soon.

So, for now, our compatibility team are making a small errata to state that you can't translate the selective fields using our translation editor, and you can only translate them using the manual translation editor, so you have to go to the original page and switch the language using the language switcher at the top bar, then translate the selective fields directly in the normal WP editor.

I will send you the errata once it ready and will update you about the actual fix when I get any new information about it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Best Regards.

March 26, 2019 at 9:24 am #3460745

John-Pierre Cornelissen

OK a few things left. I give them a number and I'd like to receive a reply on each of them.

About the Divi global content issues:

1) You and Amit said that this will be temporarily be fixed for me on this site until you have a real fix. This is not done yet. How are you going to proceed? Or how are you going to find the original translations of these specific parts back for me?

2) By "the fix will not be included in the next version", do you mean it won't be fixed in 2.8.4 or 2.8.5 ? When will it be fixed?

3) If this is so complicated to fix, then why can I translate the subhead and the button_one_text from the global module, but not the actual content area? All of these parts are selective sync. See the attached screenshot. Yellow can be translated, red can't be translated.

4) In stead of fixing, what about reverting the change from 2.8.3 that started this whole issue? That change made the whole thing worse then before. It's better to get back to how it was in 2.8.4 and then properly implement translation for this later.

I am very upset by this whole situations. I have done my best to explained in full detail how the Divi global modules works in this ticket https://wpml.org/forums/topic/divi-global-modules-not-fully-supported/
Then your colleague decided to split that ticket in two separate tickets and development only implemented the first part which caused this MAJOR issue.

It is UNACCEPTABLE that this will only be clarified with an errata and that the translation has to be done again in the manual translation editor and then losing that manual translation for the second time when the source changed and then again for the third time when there is a final fix.

Big harm is done and everybody using Divi with selective global sync is affected by this.

Then about the original request in his ticket

5) You still ignored my original request in this ticket and jumped on the global module issue which I only added as an example. I still want to receive a proper reply on my original request here. Why do I experience so many issues when using WPML and what can be done to avoid that if I keep using WPML?

wpml-fwh.jpg
March 26, 2019 at 4:48 pm #3464789

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

- This is our errata for the issue: https://wpml.org/errata/divi-selective-sync-global-modules-cannot-be-translated/

1) When we have a compatibility issue, we escalate it to the dev team, and we try to find a quick workaround till we get the actual fix, but not all issues can have a workaround, and for this one, we have to wait for the investigation from the dev team.

2) I don't have the exact ETA for this, but as I can see that our developers added this to the bug board and they will work on it after releasing version 4.2.5.

3) I can replicate the same behaviour, but I don't know why this happened, so I will add this info to the dev ticket, to let the developers check it.

4) As I understand that you created the global module and you were able to translate them when translating the pages that use them and this option is not available now, and the translation has gone after doing the update, so can you please try on a test server to use the old WPML version and see if this will return the old translation again.
Even If I will ask the dev team to make a revert to the code, this request will also wait till they release the 4.2.5

5) About WPML issues, we are a big plugin and we are always creating new features, and we also managing the compatibility between WPML and a lot of plugins and themes like Divi, so like any other software we have issues, but we always work to resolve them, and I think this is normal.

I understand your frustration, and we pushed your issue a lot to be handled quickly, but unfortunately, this can't be done before version 4.2.5.

I will try to debug it one more time, but I can't promise you anything for now, and I will let you know once I get any updates.

Best Regards.

March 27, 2019 at 1:02 pm #3471283

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Reg.1) by "we have to wait for the investigation from the dev team" do you mean they investigate now or is that on hold until after 4.2.5?

Reg.2) I am very upset with that! First they implemented a half baked solution and didn't properly test it. Now I have to wait several weeks for the fix.

Reg.4) I cloned the site and tested with these versions:
- WPML Multilingual CMS Version 4.2.2
- WPML Translation Management Version 2.8.2

It didn't give me the translations back.

Reg.5) I understand WPML is a big plugin and I know that software comes with issues but that's not the question.

My question was Why do "I" experience that many issue. Bruno says in his reply that most clients never contact support. So if they don't have so many issues, why do I have them?

March 27, 2019 at 2:30 pm #3472001

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

1- It is on hold till version 4.2.5.

4- Ok, so do you have any backup that we can use before doing the update?

I did a quick debug to our code, and I think I have found a way to let you be able to translate the selective modules at the translation editor, the update is related to the function "should_handle_shortcode_content" here: wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/compatibility/divi/class-wpml-compatibility-divi.php:128
This function works when trying to translate the page and it makes sure to not show the global modules fields at the Translation Editor, so when changing this function to always return true like this:

public function should_handle_shortcode_content( $handle_content, $shortcode ) {
        if (
            strpos( $shortcode['tag'], 'et_' ) === 0 &&
            strpos( $shortcode['attributes'], 'global_module=' ) !== false
        ) {
            $handle_content = false;
        }
        return true;
    }

After this, all global modules will be available for translation, (the selective and non-selective), so this could be a workaround for now, because it will give you the option to translate the selective modules at the translation editor.

I have made these changes at the latest beta 4.2.5b1

5- Not all of our clients use WPML advanced options, so they don't face a lot of issues, but there is nothing specific for you, any other client can face the same problem if he tried to translate the selective modules.

Best Regards.

March 29, 2019 at 9:51 am #3489879

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Thanks. With that code change I could indeed translate that global module.
Now I hope this won't be messed up again after the next WPML update.

--

I don't think I use any advanced WPML option. It's just standard translating pages either by myself of by an agency. The only thing different might be that I use the Divi theme. You claim it's compatible, but if Divi is the cause of all these problems, then your Divi compatibility is really bad.

--

I have tracked the time it took to get this fixed do far: almost 7 hours (!)
That's not billable to my customer and couldn't be spent on building a new website.
And this is not the first time with WPML.

Do you at least understand why I am angry and upset with this mess?

--

As for the backup you requested, please open a private reply so I can sent you a download link.