Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by technicalS-2 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
January 28, 2020 at 2:01 am #5373365

technicalS-2

I have a plugin which reads strings from a mysql database and presents them. I have read how to add individual strings to the site for translation so thats no problem; but the "String Translation" functionality in WPML will only show me individual strings and I have to manually translate each string (I use google translate) for each language. Very time consuming.

I have hundreds of strings multiplied by 4 translated languages (so over 2000 translations). Is it possible for WPML to automatically translate these strings? (Using something like ATE) Do you actually expect customers to manually translate thousands of strings and type them into your String Translation form? Am I missing something?

There was a similar question posted here (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/using-automatic-translation-for-strings/) but there is not a clear answer.

January 28, 2020 at 12:22 pm #5377107

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. In addition to manual translation, you can import .po file into WPML String Translation. That way you can import .po files with the translations of multiple strings at once into a specific domain.

You can see more in our documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/#import-export-po. These are the two ways to translate a string: either manually with importing .po file.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

January 28, 2020 at 6:09 pm #5379941

technicalS-2

I read that link and also some others, and I'm not sure I understand. If I create a .PO file can I then perform automatic translation using ATE ? Or do I still have to translate each string manually.

January 28, 2020 at 7:41 pm #5380267

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

You will need to have the file finalized. That is, in the case of the .po file, you will need that the strings are already translated. It is currently not possible to use ATE to translate String Translation strings.

Thank you.

January 30, 2020 at 2:20 am #5388555

technicalS-2

I found an open source tool that uses Google Translate API to write a new PO file with translations. I thinks WPML should become more familar with this and perhaps offer a similar tool. Manually translating strings in large numbers is not reasonable anymore.