This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
July 11, 2019 at 8:43 am #4187571

samisraeli@yahoo.com

Hi,

I have potential customer that has a wordpress site with multilingual (3 languages).
In his site he has 3 topics.
The company that built for him the site made a mistake and created 3 wordpress installations under the same domain.
For topic 1
-------------
hidden link

For topic 2
-------------
hidden link

For topic 3
-------------
hidden link

I would like to unite all sites to one site and migrate from qtranslate to wpml.

How can I do it?

Should I convert each site separately to wpml and then unite or first unite and then convert?

How can I convert from qtranslate to wpml?

Thank you,

Sam

July 11, 2019 at 1:27 pm #4190105

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi Sam,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

The migration between the two plugins would be possible with this one:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/qtranslate-importer/

However, since these are three separate installations, this documentation will not be relevant.

I do believe that there are couple of ways to achieve this, but this will largely depend on the number of items you have there:

- https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/#how-to-prepare-csv-xml-files
-- this would require for you to create these CSV files and then import them following this tutorial (so for three languages, there would be three files)
-- I believe that you could use this to create these exports - https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-all-export/ - but you will still need to take care of the "connector" thing

You would do this and all three instances.

Another way would be perhaps export/import all these posts from all the sites into the new one, setup WPML and choose default language (all the posts will be assigned to that language) and then connect translations manually. But then again, if you have hundreds of posts, this will also take time.

In any case, I'm not sure if there is an automated solution for this and will certainly yield some amount of manual work. I also wasn't able to find any use case scenarios I could present you.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 12, 2019 at 10:09 am #4197425

samisraeli@yahoo.com

Hi Bruno,

topic 1 topic 2:
9 pages and 8 posts for each language (3 languages)
topic 3:
23 pages and 8 posts for each language (3 languages)

What will be the best way according the above data?

Thank you,

Sam

July 12, 2019 at 11:45 am #4198263

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi Sam,

Based on this number, I would import all these pages into one installation using any of the WordPress tools (such as built-in import/export tool), setup WPML make all the posts and pages in English (in the initial wizard) and connect originals and translations manually (by changing the language first). I don't imagine it would take more than an hour or two to connect all these pages and translations.

Regards,
Bruno Kos