Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.31 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jeannetteM 1 year, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Rohan Sadanandan.

Author Posts
July 2, 2019 at 10:42 am #4125843

jeannetteM

Hi

We have defined a custom post type "partner" with different acf fields assigned. If we create a new translation for a partner and select "Copy content from xy" then the acf field values are not copied. However, if we choose to replace the content with the one from another language, the acf field values are copied successfully.

We are using manual translation. Enabling translation management is no option as translated pages should be able to vary in design.

Thanks in advance
Daniel

July 2, 2019 at 12:49 pm #4127079

Rohan Sadanandan

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

From the debug information, we understand that the WP Memory limit is 40MB.

Could you please try to increase that by following this link:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Also could you please make sure that the ACF fields are set to "copy" by following this link:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#making-acf-fields-translatable

Can you please disable all plugins that are unrelated to WPML and ACF and switch to one of the default themes e.g. Twenty Fifteen, Do you see the same issue?

NOTE:
Also, make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!).

Thanks,
Rohan

July 2, 2019 at 2:11 pm #4127745

jeannetteM

Hi

I've tested the issue on another installation, with memory limit set to 256 MB, all plugins disabled and twenty nineteen theme activated. I can confirm, that it works if I set the ACF fields to "copy". However, the original values are not copied but kind of linked. Whenever I modify a value of an acf field in the translation, it gets overwritten by the original one. As soon as I switch the ACF field to "Copy once" or "Translate" the original values are not copied at all.

Regards
Daniel

July 3, 2019 at 9:50 am #4134157

Rohan Sadanandan

Hello,

I will explain the 3 options you have mentioned here for translating the custom fields.

If you select "copy", the content will be synced with the original content.
So all the changes in the original language will be reflected here.

If you select "copy once", the original language content will be copied only once.
It is not synchronized with the original language.
If you are adding the translation for an already translated post/page, then it will not copy the custom field values.

If "translate" is selected, you need to enter the translation manually.

You can read more details regarding these options in this documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

Please check the documentation & confirm whether it is working as mentioned there.

Also, please let me know what you are expecting here so we can understand it better.

Thanks,
Rohan

July 3, 2019 at 2:34 pm #4137421

jeannetteM

Hi

Our approach is as follows:
1. We create a new partner (custom post type) in German (our primary language) and set the values of the acf fields assigned to that custom post type.
2. We create a new translation using the plus sign in the lanuage metabox (see screenshot_1)
3. In the new translation, we click on "Copy content from De" (see screenshot_2).
4. We would expect, that the acf field values are copied (not synched) to the new translation. Instead, only the title and editor content is copied.

All of the acf fields are set to "copy once", but don't get copied at all.

July 4, 2019 at 10:14 am #4142243

Rohan Sadanandan

Hello,

Thanks for the info, I have escalated this issue to our development team and I will keep you posted.

For the time being, you can use the following workaround:
You can use the "Overwrite with [language] content" button on the translated page & copy the content.
Once it is copied you can click on "Translate Independently" & manage the translation separately.

Please let me know you have any queries.

Thanks,
Rohan

July 4, 2019 at 1:33 pm #4143893

jeannetteM

Hi

Thanks for that workaround. It works great for now.

Please keep me informed!

Many thanks,
Daniel

September 21, 2019 at 2:28 pm #4616177

jeannetteM

Hi

Can you estimate when this problem should be resolved?

Thanks