This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by zsoltE-2 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
August 6, 2019 at 3:27 pm #4349187

zsoltE-2

We have more thousands of product categories. 99 percent of those can be the same in foreign language. Is there any chance to copy the default language's items to the foreign language?
Regards?
Zsolt

August 6, 2019 at 7:54 pm #4350243

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

You can go to WPML -> Settings and in the taxonomies section, set your product categories to "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language". This way, it can use the default language unless you have translated the category.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.

August 7, 2019 at 4:37 pm #4356911

zsoltE-2

Hi Lauren,
This probem is not so simple. If I click fallback to default language, the translated produdct will not be assigned to the taxonomy of the default language. If I translate both the product and the taxonomy, I have to assign manually the translated taxonomy to the translated post.
This is true?
Can I keep the taxonomy-post relationships during the translation process?

Maybe it is better to not allow fallback to default language?

Can you follow my questions?

-----other:
Today I had a ticket about theme localisation. It was a chat with you. Whan I got back to my monitor, I saw that you closed the ticket without answer. i could not find my ticket in my account at all.
Later, I received a message with your answer. Your answer is absolutely correct. I am not able to find that chat-ticket to give you feedback.
Have a nice day!
Zsolt

August 7, 2019 at 7:51 pm #4358001

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Yes you are correct. It is best to not translate both product and taxonomy, but for those that need a translated taxonomy, I suggest translating both the product and the taxonomy. Once you translate the taxonomy, you can always go to WPML -> Taxonomy Translation and select the taxonomy. Then click "Synchronize Hierarchy" and the products should get assigned to the translated taxonomy.

As for the other ticket, I'm very glad I could help you out! The chat tickets get closed after some time of no activity, so that may have been the case with the chat. I very much appreciate your feedback though!

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.

August 8, 2019 at 5:31 am #4359735

zsoltE-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!