This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Ahmed Ibrahim 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Ibrahim.

Author Posts
August 22, 2019 at 11:05 am #4438543

taisieG

One other issue off the top of my head seems to be that when copy text over from the English language to other languages but using the ‘copy content’ button – not by using the advanced translation editor – it doesn’t seem to pick up all of the advanced custom fields – an example would be on the distributors menu tab. When you copy the content of one distributor from English to another language – it appears to leave behind the longitude and latitude readings (which I understand are because the field in which they are entered is an advanced custom field. Can you look in to this as well please and check that all advanced custom fields are pulling through correctly and are able to be translated / copied correctly from one language to another?

August 22, 2019 at 11:37 am #4438823

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

If you want to create a new post in the translated language to be a copy from the original one, you better use the duplicate option, and I sent you a video before describing how to use this option: hidden link

If this is not helping, please send me the steps that you are doing one by one, and I will check and come back to you.

Best regards.

August 29, 2019 at 9:13 am #4479049

taisieG

Please can you explain the difference between copying and duplication of posts? or simply duplicating then editing in the translation editor.

August 29, 2019 at 1:18 pm #4481247

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

The only difference is that duplicating the post will keep the two posts connected to each other and if you made any change to the original, it will be copied to the translation automatically.
But if you clicked on "Translate Independently" button, they will be separated, and it will be the same as the copy action.

Best regards.

September 3, 2019 at 10:01 am #4503183

taisieG

What situation would you recommend using the duplicate post button in? If you are copying the content in the same language?

What happens if you duplicate a post - say I duplicate an English blog post to use on the Spanish site (In English) but at a later date want to change the post to Spanish -
1. would it effect the original post it was translated from?
2. if I then changed the English (original post) after I have then translated it to Spanish at a later date - would it change all of the Spanish back to English?

I am trying to understand when you would use this situation - would it be perhaps when copying a page from a UK page to a US page - I want to make sure I fully understand the flexibility and limitations of the page.

thanks

September 3, 2019 at 3:16 pm #4505773

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

Let us say you have an English post and you have duplicated it to a Spanish post.
If you changed the English post, this will affect the Spanish post, until you go to the Spanish post and client on "translate independently" then the two posts will be separated and the changes in English will not affect the Spanish.

If you changed the Spanish post, in any case, this will not affect the English post at all.

More info can be found here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

Best regards.