This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by sandraM-9 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
September 4, 2019 at 1:54 pm

sandraM-9

Hi there,

I am running the X-theme and using Cornerstone and I have run in to a number of problems trying to translate my pages.

When I try to translate a cornerstone page it either breaks the layout of the page or simply shows the original page.

I have tried different approaches:

1. Simply trying to translate the page using the advanced translator - this breaks the layout on most pages (if they are anything but text).
2. Copying the original English page and translating manually - this results in the original language showing up, even though the Danish version is displayed in edit mode.
3. Building the two pages separately and connecting them. This worked once with a page I build completely from scratch (after several tries with the other methods), but if I build a new page and try to connect it with an existing page, it just shows the English page again (again, except in the editor).

I have a feeling that one of my problems is, that I tried string translation on a page, which I then had to delete, but it seems to haunt it when I try to copy the content to a new page.

The translated pages do show the Danish posts in an element like "recent posts", but everything else remains in English or just doesn't show up

Additionally one of my sliders disappears as soon as I connect a Danish page to a translation - even though it has been translated. It works fine before I make the connection.

I really hope you can help, because I have already spend countless hours remaking pages and scratching my head in frustration.

September 4, 2019 at 2:59 pm
September 5, 2019 at 6:45 am #4515739

sandraM-9

The copy has been set up now 🙂

September 5, 2019 at 12:18 pm #4519265

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

it seems I managed to make it work in my copy. See here: hidden link

What I did is editing the home page using the WordPress editor. This was my procedure:
- open the English homepage
- change the language with the admin top bar
- when the popup appeared, I clicked on "edit anyway"
- opened the Cornerstone editor
- resave it
- back to the WordPress page, saved the page

If you are not getting the same result, you might try to disable all other plugins except WPML, Cornerstone and Layerslider, because this is what I did on the copy.

It might be that the Cornerstone issue we have affects even pages without Classic elements, so for the moment it would be better to translate pages manually.

Please let me know if you manage to solve the problem in the Home page and if there is something else we need to check.

September 5, 2019 at 12:58 pm #4519385

sandraM-9

Hi Laura,

I tried doing what you suggested without any luck. I also disabled all other plugins, but I still get the same issue. At this point I wouldn't mind manually translating, I just don't know how to connect the translation with the original without the same thing happening again.

September 5, 2019 at 2:07 pm #4519959

sandraM-9

I have now tried manually translating a new page identical to the front. It seems, that the error occurs when I try to load a template in to Cornerstone. Even though I am loading a template in Danish, it was originally based on the original language. As soon as I load the template, there is no going back. I cannot just delete all the elements. The same error occurs if I copy from English or overwrite with English. If I simply put text or other Cornerstone content before trying to load or copy anything, the Danish page is shown identical in live and edit mode.

I think I will have to build up the front page from scratch to avoid this bug, which sucks, but I think it will be faster than trying to figure out what is happening. I will let you know if it works out.

September 5, 2019 at 3:53 pm #4520645

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

did you try to disable all plugins except WPML, Cornerstone and Layer Slider and see if by any chance it works?

I can't find any specific issue related to templates, so we'd need to test this in a fresh installation so could you give me some more specific about how do you create the template?

September 10, 2019 at 7:26 am #4542485

sandraM-9

Hi Laura,

Yes I disabled all other plugins, but it made no difference. The templates are made by saving a layout within Cornerstone. You can the add the template to a new page and get a copy of the original.

September 10, 2019 at 8:03 am #4542731

sandraM-9

I just updated another page in Cornerstone today - a page where both English and Danish were working just fine. But adding a button to one of them broke the English one. It now just says {{children}} under the title on the English page. I'm starting to get really frustrated. Something as simple as adding a button to a page now causes hours of work. Honestly I am very close to giving up and finding another way to translate our page.

September 10, 2019 at 8:32 am #4543011

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

could you try to add the same button on the copy I have and see if you still have the issue?

Since the problem with this {{children}} code was solved on the copy, possible reasons for it to reappear are:

1. site specific issues (server configuration etc)
2. wrong workflow

If you give me the authorization and assure you have a backup I can try to replicate what I did on my copy of the site and see if I can get some results.

September 10, 2019 at 8:46 am #4543237

sandraM-9

I tried to do the same on the copy, and it works fine. I will give you access to our site.

September 10, 2019 at 8:48 am #4543291

sandraM-9

How do I send you the information privately in this forum?

September 10, 2019 at 9:02 am #4543415

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

I should already have credentials if you didn't change them (they are in the first post).

However, I'll enable a private reply.

September 10, 2019 at 9:22 am
September 10, 2019 at 2:24 pm #4546415

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

it seems we have an issue with WPML Media and Cornerstone. I deactivated it on your site and after doing a small edit to your template the tags disappeared.

Could you check if this works even in the other pages affected?