Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christopher Amirian 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Christopher Amirian.

Author Posts
June 10, 2022 at 9:00 pm #11436897

Santiago

Hello there,
Can I ask if you have a solution for this?
Or if you plan to add in the soon feature?

We are rebuilding our website with multiple international versions/translations, some of which have multiple languages (for example CA-EN and CA-FR). We’d prefer not to have multiple sites/multisite to maintain, so we want to explore what it would take to add country/language selection functionality into WPML.

Thank you.-

June 12, 2022 at 2:39 pm #11443015

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Yerevan (GMT+04:00)

Hi there,

There is no built-in Country/language selection functionality in WPML.

But you can add custom languages and duplicate the content from one language to another one if you want.

So for example you add French. You can set that language as the one used in France.

Then you can add a custom language and set the code to ca-fr and have it as Canadian French. IT will act as a separate language.

You can go to WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Translaiton Management

Change the top admin language switcher to French and then select the pages in the translation management and choose the Duplicate option to copy the content to Canadian French.

If you want to have another content for Canadian French you can simply click the + button in front of the page for Canadian French. Canadian French will act as a separate language.

For more information about custom languages:

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/

Thank you.

June 12, 2022 at 5:32 pm #11443477

Santiago

Hello there and thank you for your update.
I get all you describe.
But, is not an ideal solution, a lot of manual changes and duplicating the content is also not a practical solution, because I have to duplicate all the changes when I need to modify my content.
Can be great if WPML can add functionality for this.
I guess is very needed these days.
Thanks.-

June 12, 2022 at 5:51 pm #11443485

Santiago

WPML does not have any way to offer the same content for a few languages?
Like English content for the USA, Canada, UK, etc.
Not to duplicate the content, use the same content.
This means if I change the English content 1 time, the change works for the USA, Canada, UK, etc.
Thanks.-

June 13, 2022 at 8:03 am #11446435

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi there,

The duplicating process is just one time. After that, if you do a change in the original language it will also be reflected in the other language.

It just needs a one-time process of creating the duplication so that the content is linked.

So if you can handle that one-time duplication each time that you create a new page, the future updates will be reflected for the duplicated ones.

If you want another method please try to explain the details as a feature request here:

https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Thank you.

June 13, 2022 at 11:01 pm #11452905

Santiago

Hello,
Are you sure a duplicate page is going to update the content when I change the main page?
That doesn't work for me like that.
Basically, when I duplicate a page, copy the content from a language to a new language.
I'm confuse here with your recomendation.

June 14, 2022 at 10:47 am #11457111

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi there,

I created a new installation of WordPress and WPML and tested that and it works as I mentioned, and the duplication causes the content to be the same even after updating it in the original language.

Here is the access to the dashboard:

hidden link

I set up French and French Canada as the languages.

Added a page called Test Page FR in French.

Went to WPML > Translation Management and duplicated that page for French Canada.

Went back to the French page and edited the text and added "Edited" at the end and saved the page.

Without doing anything French Canada also has the change.

French:
hidden link

French Canada:
hidden link

The language switcher is in the footer

I suggest that you also test yourself there.

Thanks.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.