This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
September 19, 2018 at 1:14 pm #2748868

netsevenS

Hi,
I have some Custom Post Types that I use with the "fallback to default language" setting. Their contents are not translated and in the FR and IT versions only the labels are translated (with PO MO files).

Example:
Original EN version: hidden link
IT version: hidden link
FR version: hidden link

My problem is that these custom post types ("/it/" and "/fr/") are not included in the sitemap generated by Yoast SEO, and as a result is not possible to find them on Google.

How can I include these CPT (with "fallback to default language") in the sitemap?

Thanks in advance for yr help

September 20, 2018 at 10:49 am #2751774

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi, there.

I can see the issue on your site. I see that the translated posts are not showing on the sitemap. I even get similar behavior when I try it on my tests site with the default WordPress posts. I'm not sure if this behavior is expected or not. I say it because the posts do not actually exist but only 'displayed as translated'. It is true that the URLs exist if you view them but in the DB there is no record for those posts in the wp_posts table.

I'm consulting our second tier supporters about this issue, and I'll get you updated here once I have an answer from them.

Regards,
Itamar.

September 20, 2018 at 4:17 pm #2752811

netsevenS

Thanks for your feedback. CTP appears in the Sitemap only if I duplicate the original content (EN) in the other languages.
But I'm using CTP with "fallback to default language" settings and I honestly prefer not to translate them: they are user generated content.
But I need them in the sitemap.

September 20, 2018 at 7:09 pm #2753099

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

It seems that currently, this is the behavior. "fallback to default language" posts are not showing in Yoast SEO sitemaps. Our second tier supporter also says that this is the case.
I've asked our second tier supporter if this issue can be submitted as a feature request to our developers. Feature request -> Include ‘display as translated’ posts and pages in Yoast SEO sitemaps.
I'm waiting for a reply from our second tier, and I'll keep you updated here.

Regards,
Itamar.

September 21, 2018 at 6:31 am #2754083

netsevenS

Hi Itamar and thanks for the feedback,
any idea if I can hack something in the code to fix the problem and add those pages to the sitemap?

Thanks in advance
Giulio

September 24, 2018 at 12:48 pm #2760488

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Giulio.

I've continued to discuss this issue with our second-tier supporter.

SEO wise it will not be good to add ‘display as translated’ posts and pages in Yoast SEO sitemaps. If those pages are added to the sitemap, it will harm your site's SEO. This is because WPML tells Google what is the original content so that Google can ignore all these duplicates. Please see a reference for this in our documentation here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/#what-about-seo

I hope that this explains to you why it is not recommended the achieve what you ask to achieve.

Best Regards,
Itamar.