This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Raja Mohammed 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
August 1, 2019 at 6:44 am #4319055

madniS

HI,
I have tried all methods as you mention on support forum but still, my site uses high resources with WPML plugin activation. Please solve this ASAP.

August 1, 2019 at 9:34 am #4320233

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Please respond here once the migration is complete.

Regards
Raja

August 1, 2019 at 9:39 am #4320245

madniS

Site is migrated successfully.

August 1, 2019 at 10:47 am #4320743

madniS

Did you check the migrated site?

August 1, 2019 at 10:53 am #4320759

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Thanks, As far as I see the issue still persists with the migrated site. Please allow me some time to investigate the issue. I will let you know once I have an update.

Regards
Raja

August 1, 2019 at 11:29 am #4321119

madniS

okay i am waiting for your reply

August 1, 2019 at 12:56 pm #4321965

madniS

How much time it will take?

August 2, 2019 at 10:49 am #4329145

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Thanks for your patience, in the cloudways site the issue seems to be sorted when I deactivate the plugin "JobHunt Indeed Jobs". Maybe the plugin in interacting with WPML which is causing high CPU resource.

Could you please verify the same, Let me know the results

Kind Regards
Raja

August 3, 2019 at 8:57 am #4334249

madniS

No still issue is there. I had deactivated that plugin.

August 5, 2019 at 6:56 am #4338301

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

I have tested your site on incognito (private) mode, everything seems to be working fine. earlier I was not able to open the Arabic pages.

Please refer to the video hidden link

Try clearing the site cache also make sure the server cache is cleared as well. test the site on a new browser or on incognito mode. let me know the results

Kind regards
Raja