This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by janZ-12 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
September 6, 2019 at 3:16 pm #4526231

janZ-12

When we try to activate the WPML Multilingual CMS the website crashes.
We get the following message:

There is a problem with the String Translation table in your site. This problem is not causing a problem running the site right now, but can become a critical issue in the future. WPML support team knows how to fix it. Please add a message in the relevant support thread and we'll fix it for you.

Is there any documentation that you are following? No

Is there a similar example that we can see? No

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Can you help us?

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
Jan Zijlstra

September 9, 2019 at 12:11 am #4532655

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Jan,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

Can you tell me where do you see this message about the String Translation table, please? Usually, this is displayed at the top of the dashboard area. However, you say that the website crashes so I guess that you no longer have access to the dashboard.

Can you give me a few more details about what do you mean by website crash, please? Are you no longer able to access it or is it just this message at the top of the page? I just want to understand exactly what's going on so I can look for the right solution.

Thanks,
Radu

September 9, 2019 at 11:19 am #4536535

janZ-12

Hey Radu,
This message about the String Translation table is shown in the backend at the top of the page.

If we install and activate the plugin the website (front- and backend) doesn't work anymore. After removing the plugin (by FTP) everythings works again.

Thanks in advance
Jan

September 9, 2019 at 10:12 pm #4540393

Radu
Supporter

Hey Jan,

Could you give me access to the dashboard area and to the FTP too so I can try to activate the plugin and see what can be done to stop this from happening.

Also, the message at the top of the dashboard only appears when the WPML plugin is activated but, at the same time, if this is active, the dashboard area cannot be accessed. This is the last part that I need to understand in order to check things out and look for a fix.

The next reply is set to be private so you can safely send me the credentials.

Thanks,
Radu

September 11, 2019 at 1:36 pm #4553793

Radu
Supporter

Hey Jan,

I had a look at your website and I could see that the memory limit is pretty low. As you can see here https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/, the minimum memory limit is 128M. In this case, can you increase the memory limit to 128M as explained here, please? https://wordpress.org/support/article/editing-wp-config-php/#increasing-memory-allocated-to-php

Once you did this, please go to Dashboard → WPML → Settings → troubleshooting link, and Reset the plugin using the option from the bottom of the page. Once you did this, activate back the WPML plugin and tell me if you still see the error message at the top of the page.

Before doing all this, please create a backup of your website. Having a backup is always a good idea, in case anything goes wrong 🙂

Thanks,
Radu

September 11, 2019 at 3:25 pm #4554755

janZ-12

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!