This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I'd like to set up my Field Groups in English, instead of the default language of German for ease of use during development. Is there any issues in doing this since it is not the default language?

Solution: It should be not any problem to use the site language as German and start working on ACF in English. If you set a ACF field to copy, it will take the language value of currently used language for ACF. Afterwards you will still be able to translate the backend, in order for other German users to use the plugin. This translation will not take any affect that on previous entered custom field values.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by laura-dY 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
April 16, 2019 at 2:56 pm #3623253

laura-dY

I am trying to create a custom site with custom post types and custom fields using ACF. My site is in English and German. I have set German as the default language. I'd like to set up my Field Groups in English, instead of the default language of German for ease of use during development. Is there any issues in doing this since it is not the default language? I will eventually translate to German so that my client can set their users to German default and have the field names and instructions in German, but it will be easier during development to have the field names in English.

My site is under development and currently just on my local computer.

April 16, 2019 at 9:05 pm #3625687

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

It should be not any problem to use the site language as German and start working on ACF in English. If you set a ACF field to copy, it will take the language value of currently used language for ACF. Afterwards you will still be able to translate the backend, in order for other German users to use the plugin. This translation will not take any affect that on previous entered custom field values.

More information here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 19, 2019 at 12:54 pm #3645809

laura-dY

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!