This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
October 8, 2018 at 3:02 pm #2796528

debraP

I'm using custom fields (built with ACF) on my posts/pages.

I'm having trouble with media and images from custom fields being copied "fully" to duplicated posts. The fields I'm referring to are either images or files (types set through ACF) and these fields are set to "copy" within my "Multilingual Content Setup". Here's what's happening:

1. Create and save a new post in English (default).
2. Duplicate the post in another language using the post's sidebar.
3. View the duplicated post on the front-end. All content from custom fields appear correctly except the images and files, which are blank or aren't included.
4. Click "Edit post" to view on the back-end. All custom fields are filled in correctly, including images and files.
5. Save post.
6. View the duplicated post on the front-end. All content, including images and files, now appears correctly.

I'm not sure if this has something to do with media duplication settings or a process that happens on actually saving the file. Since this hasn't been working as expected I've had to re-save every post in each language after duplication, which is cumbersome.

Thanks,
Jon

October 9, 2018 at 2:58 pm #2800638

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I was noticing you are missing 2 minimum requirements. The issue is not necessarily related to that, but it's better to fix them just to be sure.

1. The minimum MySQL version should be 5.6, and you are running 5.5. You may ask your hosting to update it.
2. The WP Memory Limit needs to be increased. PHP memory limit is fine but WordPress uses 40Mb as default. Minimum requirements for WPML are 128Mb.
Add this near the top of wp-config.php file (after the php opening tag) to increase WP memory:

/** WP Memory Limit */
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

The wp-config.php file is located in your WordPress root directory. It's the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.
You can check the current WP Memory Limit value from WPML -> Support in the Info section
More info here:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

What is strange here is that you aren't translating the page, but just duplicating them.
Could you check if the custom fields are set as translatable? See here: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#1-checking-translation-options

I noticed you don't have Media Translation among your plugin. Maybe installing it and run the translation process can resolve the issue.

Let me know if one of this helped you or if you need further assistance.

The topic ‘[Closed] Custom fields not copying fully upon duplication.’ is closed to new replies.