This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
August 13, 2019 at 9:35 am

frankO

I have installed 3 languages on hidden link (the non-www version, not the www version): Dutch, English, German. I want to translate products from Dutch to English and Dutch to German. All goes well, except for the translation of the Custom Product attributes:

- When i enter the English translation of the custom product attribute, the German version of that same custom product attribute resets to default (Dutch). And on the front-end no custom product attribute is shown for the German version.
- When i enter the German translation of the custom product attribute, the English version of that same custom product attribute resets to default (Dutch). And on the front-end no custom product attribute is shown for the English version.

It did work before the previous update.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: e.g. hidden link. When you click on the German version all is well. English version shows no product attributes.

What did i do to debug?

- Tried the translate the custom product attributes with only woocommerce, woocommerce multilingual, wpml plugins and standard theme activated (no other plugins where active).
- Try to resync everything via the Woocommerce multilingual troubleshoot page (status -> troubleshooting -> sync product variations/quantity/relationships)
- Try to clear the wpml cache, set language information etc. at the WPML Troubleshooting clean up admin section.
- Tried to delete a product and enter a whole new product with translations.

Thanks in advance!

August 13, 2019 at 10:49 am
August 13, 2019 at 11:34 pm #4391091

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

These attributes and product variations are based on each product individually and need to be translated with the WPML Translation Editor.

In your case it seems they have not been translated completely. I translated the product Off Road Driving again and entered the correct attribute names in English. The dropdown is working now.

hidden link

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas

August 14, 2019 at 8:17 am #4393257

frankO

Dear Andreas,

Thanks for your reply. But i think you don't understand me. Because you are experiencing the same problem as i do. While you translated and saved the English version, the german version is overwritten by the Dutch version and now shows no options on the front-end. For your understanding: the German version was translated, but disappeared when you entered and saved the English translation. (Also vice versa).

See: hidden link

August 14, 2019 at 9:51 pm #4397765

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I took a copy of your site and the issue persists if I run the site with WooCommerce and WPML only using a default theme.

Going to WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual -> Status shows that some settings of the WCML Config File have been altered which must be the reason why the translation is not working as expected.

Did you apply any custom coding that might have altered those configurations? I have created a new install and the issue is not exisiting with the same plugin versions.

One Click Login: hidden link

Could you please give me some more information when the issue occured or how to recreate it? Please have a look at my test site.

Kind regards
Andreas

August 15, 2019 at 10:00 am #4400053

frankO

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for you reply. I haven't applied custom coding or installed a plugin that might have altered those configurations. I'm not sure, but i think the problem occured a week ago, after updating a bunch of plugins. But i'm not sure which one caused the error. Before that it worked fine.

Also, i can't set WPML permissions to roles other then administrator anymore, with Toolset acces. e.g. Shopmanagers can't acces the wpml translation pages. I think it has something to do with the error.

Is there a way to reset the WCML Config file to default? To check if that works?

I noticed that you only installed 2 languages on your sandbox version. The error at my install occurred with 3 languages. I will try to describe it step by step:

I enter a variable woocommerce product in Dutch with custom product attributes.
I translate the Dutch product it into English (including the custom product attributes) and save it on 100% completion. All goes well for the English translation.
I translate the Dutch product into German (including the custom product attributes) and save it on 100% completion. All goes well for the German translation.
However, by saving the German version, the English version of the custom product attributes are reset to default/dutch and disappear from the front-end.

The problem also occurs vice versa (when i edit the German version first).

August 16, 2019 at 3:55 am #4404589

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

The issue about the product variations has been solved onyour live site by setting the custom field setting for the system field "_product_attributes" to not translate.

I would like to ask you to keep testing on the earlier created sandbox site, by adding the plugins that you are currently using and keeping an eye on when the wcml-config file gets overwritten. Until now everzthing is looking proper on the sandbox. It would be great if you could add more plugins and see when there are some changes at WooCommerce -> WooCommerce Multilingual -> Status.

Now, for the issue about Shop Managers not able to edit translations. Do you mean translation jobs created on Translation Management? if not, please clarify a little further.

Currently, on your site I only see one person assigned as Translation Manager and one Translator at Translation Management -> Translation Roles.
If zou wish other users to access created translation jobs, please add them here and assign them the respective language pairs. Created translation jobs will be available for translators at Translation Management -> Translations.

For the request about how to edit the wcml-config file I will need to consult our second tier support but first it would be great if zou could test a little further on the earlier provided test-site by adding your theme and more of the plugins that you are using. Make sure while activating compnents to keep a watch on the WCML Status, to recognize when it changes.

I actually wonder why the config does not change when I disable any additional plugins, as I tested this local. It would be very valuable to know which plugin causes the issue.

Kind regards
Andreas

August 20, 2019 at 2:00 am #4419759

frankO

Hi Andreas,

Big thanks for fixing the problem. I have a strong suspicion that the problem arises when I change a specific product ("Fursten forest camping") from a variable product to a bookable accommodation product (made available through the woocommerce bookable accommodation plugin). Because in a strange way the bookable accomodation product pages on the front-end show the flags, but if you click on the flag, it redirect to the homepage of that language as if the translated page isn't available, see: hidden link

The bookable accommodation product: hidden link works well.

For the issue on the acces the page translations to shopmanagers. I simply want them give acces to the translation pages in the Woocommerce Multilingual admin, pages, blogs etc. just like the administrator has (without creating jobs). When i make translators/translation managers of the user, they only get acces to the Translation jobs assigned to them. When there are no jobs, the table on the page is empty, saying no translation jobs found (when they click on the pencil of the language).

August 20, 2019 at 11:36 pm #4426801

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

My appologies for the delay on answering but we are having many requests since yesterday.

It seems to be that there is a compatibility issue between WPML/WCML and WooCommerce Accommodation Bookings.

Could you please add the plugin to the following test site for further testing?

Leave me a short notification once the plugin is installed.

Now, for the issue with the Translation Managers. As far everything looks fine on Tollset Access and you got two Translation Managers assigned, beside yourself. Now, all those users also have a translator role and I realized one issue here. You have assigned only translations from Dutch to English and from Dutch to German set for each translator.

In order to make translation in other language pairs visible on the translations queue, those language pairs will need to be set for all repective users.
You are missing to add English to Dutch, English to German and German to English, etc...

Further, I understand that you wish that Shop Managers are able to handle translations themselves on WCML. Before WPML version 3.4 a user with Shop Manger role was able to translate the products regardless of translation status and assignee of translation job containing that product.

This is why we created Translation Manager roles. Please assign all the available language pairs to all available translators. Then each translator, as long he is also Translation Manager, should be able to create jobs at Translation Management by selecting the post type "Product" from the dropdown.

In case this will not work, could you please try if it behaves the same, if you disable any plugin but WPML, Translation Management and WooCommerce with WCML?
Also please try how it behaves without Toolset Access.

In doubt I would like to take a copy of your site tomorrow for further investigation.

Kind regards
Andreas

August 28, 2019 at 10:01 pm #4476957

frankO

Hi Andreas,

I'm sorry, but this time i was too late installing the plugin on the sandbox test installation. Can you re-activate the sandbox test install?

The translation manager "issue" is fixed by adding all the translation pairs! Thanks for the clear explanation!

August 28, 2019 at 10:24 pm #4476991

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I am glad to hear that the Translation Management issues has been solved.

Please add the WooCommerce Accommodation Bookings plugin to the following test site for further testing:

Leave me a short notification once the plugin is installed.

Kind regards
Andreas

September 3, 2019 at 7:50 am #4501765

frankO

Hi Andreas,

I've installed the plugin(s)!

September 3, 2019 at 2:54 pm #4505591

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I have been trying to recreate the issue:

WordPress with 3 languages. I created a variable product inclusive custom attributes and variations and translated with the WPML Classic Translation Editor.

Then I changed to Bookable Product type and translated again.

Then I changed to Acommodation Product type and translated again.

Everything worked out as expected. Did I maybe miss something? I would kindly like to ask you to have a look at the test site and test yourself.

One Click Login:hidden link

Now, for your site, I am not sure what is causing the issue as I was able to experience the same issue on your live site in minimal setup. It might be that the problem is database related.

Please make a backup of your site and go to WPML -> Support Troubleshooting.

Here try to run the respective options for "Clean up" in order to fix database issues. You can synchronize taxonomies for all post types in the first step. Choose from the dropdown. Be aware that here can also Product and Bookable Products found. Then run the other available options as seen on the screenshot.

Then test again if the issue persists. If it does, we can offer to migrate your website to our test server for further investigation.

Let me know about the outcome.

Kind regards
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] Custom product attributes are reset to default when translating.’ is closed to new replies.