This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 61 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
June 25, 2019 at 3:43 pm #4086079

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

I tried to find a few of the strings like:

- Pazundaung ( hidden link )

- Pabedan ( hidden link )

- Okkan ( hidden link )

and found them all in there and they got translated correctly.

Could you let me know which one are you not finding?

Thanks in advance.

June 26, 2019 at 4:42 am #4088771

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I tried translating using your methods. But, I encountered the issues (attached).

That probably is the issue regarding the compatibility between the theme and the WPML? Awaiting your reply, Thanks.

June 26, 2019 at 1:59 pm #4093025

Alejandro
Supporter

When you made the screenshot, there were 13, now it says 21. i'm starting to think that you have to check them in the front-end for them to appear in WPML > String Translation.

That wouldn't be a crazy of an idea, because there are specific Strings that require this, otherwise they are taken as "not used" and they won't register.

Can you try selecting or viewing in the front-end for a string that currently isn't there? an see if it appears next.

You can also try going to WPML > Theme and Plugins localization, find and select the plugin or theme where the multi field value comes from (i believe it comes from ACF for Multipress, but i'm not 100% sure of that) and then press the "scan" button

That might also do the trick.

Let me know how it goes and in the meantime i'll ask our developers for further insight on this matter.

June 26, 2019 at 3:41 pm #4093781

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for an update. Yes, regarding the number from 13 to 21, I found out that if I select those translated locations one by one from the front-end, it automatically appears in the WPML string translation.

Now, my issue is different. If you look at the slide 5, you see 3 red arrows pointing the 3 different texts (they (a) Pet & Animal (b) Yangon (c) Lanmadaw all were translated) but those translations do not appear in the front end. You can search those translated texts in the string translation.

I hope that clarifies things. Thanks.

June 27, 2019 at 10:47 am #4099309

Alejandro
Supporter

Ok, so in order for the options to appear, they need to have been executed in the front-end. that's one problem less!

About the pets categories (slide 5). by checking string Translation i noticed that sometimes there were 3 different strings with the same content, because they belonged to different parts of the site, this could be the case.

Could you check if there's another place where the translated string would appear, maybe in a breadcrumb or on another list? see if by any chance it appears somewhere else already translated.

In the meantime, could you please tell me where can i find those values from the slide 5 so i can check where are they coming from and if they are the same ones we see in WPML > String Translation?

Thanks!

June 27, 2019 at 11:18 am #4099489

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am not aware of seeing the translations of "Pet & Animal" anywhere, but I can tell you where it came from...Please see the image (slide2) I just attached....The other two we have been discussing ....The regions (that you have to select from the front end for the string to appear at the backend to translate)......Those originated from Dynamic Multi-level fields Plugin.....The contents have different origins...I am just giving them as examples....

Thanks.

June 27, 2019 at 3:21 pm #4101273

Alejandro
Supporter

May i know how did you create that page?

The problem is that it seems the page is stuck in English. It's weird though because that post seems to be in Burmese and in English at the same time.

Let me know.

June 28, 2019 at 5:20 am #4104463

hlaingM

Hi,

You have to post an ad from the front-end. I am attaching slide 1 and slide 2.

(1) switch on the 2nd language > (2) Post an Ad > (3) Choose "category/subcategory" (4) Fill/Select the data.

In slide (2), you will notice that the first content pointed with red arrow (pet & animal) is not showing the translation, whereas the regions (2nd and 3rd contents) we have been discussing are showing the translations. But, none of these 3 contents is showing the translations to the visitors after you post the ad.

Since the 2nd language switch is ON, you might not be able to read the characters properly since you do not have the font installed in your browser. You can download the font and install it in your browser to see the 2nd language characters properly (installation instructions, link and image attached).

hidden link

Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

June 28, 2019 at 12:28 pm #4107381

Alejandro
Supporter

I'm running a few tests. if you see that an ad was created. please do not delete it. i will do so as soon as i finish running the tests.

June 28, 2019 at 1:24 pm #4107727

Alejandro
Supporter

I don't know how you've created this form or what you're doing to duplicate it in other languages but i believe the problem is there because the duplciation doesn't seem to be working well (it's showing as duplicated even in the original language as shown in the screenshot)

Apart from that, the category doesn't seem to be set or anything, so i think you need to review how that feature works and how it's been developed, because i think the problem is how it's been developed.

Another example of what's happening is that even if i created the ad in burmese, everything always appeared in English and the languages were all incorrect (in my test ad, the burmese version is in English and vice versa!), yet the translations, even if they were showing in the incorrect version of the site, were actually working.

You can use our hooks to help yourself with what you want to achieve: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-coding-api/wpml-hooks-reference/

But this seems like custom work, and if that's the case, that's beyond the scope of this support.
However, this doesn't mean that we can't help you at all, it's just up to you to debug and troubleshoot the problem and we can help you within our support policy limits.

Regards.

June 28, 2019 at 7:07 pm #4109985

hlaingM

Hi,

I am fully aware of that duplicating issue caused by the custom codes recently. I know that the duplicate post, instead of the original post, appears. My freelance developer is working on fixing it.

The issue we are discussing existed long before my freelance developer introduced those codes in function.php of the child theme folder. To verify that, I activated the parent theme and just posted an ad "Tiger cat missing" with the 2nd language switched ON.

hidden link

This issue has existed for quite a while. Since I had other priorities, I did not have the chance to revisit this issue until now.

I hope that clarifies things. Thank you for letting me know the duplicating issue, though.

July 1, 2019 at 12:14 pm #4118653

Alejandro
Supporter

The problem is all being ceated by either the listing submitter or the way it has been thought.

The problem you're facing is not coming from WPML per se. there is something that is modifying WPML's behavior.

I recorded a video where i try to show you what's going on, because i understand that the situtaion is quite unique and very particular to troubleshoot: hidden link

The behavior i notice is that when i create an ad, even manually, it seems you can translate it, but when you do, it changes the translation into a duplicate but the duplicate is actually a revision, exactly as it happens when you create the ad from the front-end manager.

That is definitely not coming from WPML at all, so you might want to revise how the custom post types are created on your site and how and what are they being handled with because something is telling WPML to work in a totally different way of how it should behave.

you can find out the culprit of this behaviour by disabling all your plugins and try creating not only an ad (which is a custom post type created by you) but also a post type like a page or post and see if the same behavior happens in both, then repeat the same after activating the plugins (one by one) that modify or handle the "Ad" custom post type.

Regards.

July 1, 2019 at 12:39 pm #4118943

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for your explanation. But, in my previous message, I said that I tested the following after eliminating the custom codes (i.e. by activating the PARENT theme).

"I activated the parent theme and just posted an ad "Tiger cat missing" with the 2nd language switched ON."

hidden link

The problem sill exists. Clearly, the custom codes are NOT causing the issue. I hope it helps to clarify any misunderstanding. Thanks.

July 1, 2019 at 4:38 pm #4121185

Alejandro
Supporter

I'm sorry but could it be possible to recreate the behaviour you mention in the previous reply?

In the video i sent you i event tried to create an ad from scratch and even though everything seemed normal. as soon as the translation was saved, it then became a duplicate and the ad started behaving exactly as it was before.

You can try to replicate the problem in this sandbox: hidden link

by just uploading the theme and creating the AD custom post type and creating an AD afterwards. that way we could isolate the problem and make sure of where exactly the problem is, what do you say?

July 1, 2019 at 6:48 pm #4121805

hlaingM

Hi,

Here is another site with a simple setup.

You probably activated the CHILD THEME when you tested it. Custom codes are in the child theme. If you activated the parent theme, tested it and saw the issue, then that demonstrates the fact that the incompatibility between the theme and the WPML exists. It is as simple as such.

I ONLY tested with the activation of the parent theme, thereby eliminating the custom codes and showed you the results which showed NO TRANSLATIONS for the translated items. That indicated the incompatibility between the theme and the WPML.

hidden link

At that simple site, I translated "California" for State data field and "the United States" for country. I tried to select them, but unable to select them. You can try it yourself.

If you keep the next reply private, I will send you the admin password. Thanks.