This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 61 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
July 2, 2019 at 11:34 am #4126377

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Oh yes. i thought you had setup the parent theme. that page seemed to be a production page so i didn't touch the theme unless you told me to.

I'll make a few tests then and see what else could be the issue.

July 2, 2019 at 12:27 pm #4126721

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello,

In your site, i briefly changed from child to parent theme and the problem disappeared as soon as i changed the theme as you requested.

Would you mind checking the recording i made of this intervention just so you can check exactly what i did? if i made a mistake or missed a step, you can let me know because unfortunately i couldn't replicate the same problem with the parent theme on your site.

hidden link

Regards.

July 2, 2019 at 7:18 pm #4129671

hlaingM

Hi,

Clearly, I figure we are not on the same page after I look at your video, and you do not understand the issue I have been pointing out.

I said that the post had to be submitted by the users from the Front End on the June 28th. At my site, the admin is not going to assist or get involved from the back-end for posting an ad.

Please re-read the issues from June 26th to June 28th I pointed out.

The items pointed out in some of those slides were already translated. The users are able to select those translated items from the front-end when they post an ad. The ISSUE is that those translations are not displayed to the visitors of the site after submission of an ad by a user.

Please re-read those issues I pointed out. Thank you.

July 3, 2019 at 12:03 pm #4136023

Alejandro
Supporter

Wea are in the same page, i think you misunderstood the purpose of the last video i sent.

See, the only way to know if WPML is not working correctly is by creating an AD manually, so without the "post an ad" functionality. when that's done, everything works correctly (and that's the purpose of the last video i sent you). what does that mean?

It means the problem comes from the "post an ad" functionality, which i first understood was a custom built function by your developer or the theme.

In short: the "post an ad" functionality is not working well with WPML.

What i've been trying to tell you all along is that i do know the problem comes from the "post an ad" functionality, and i thought that was created from your developer given that you mention your developer was working on something related to that functionality.

Then i understood that the "post an ad" function didn't come from a custom code from your developer but instead from your theme, maybe? ( i never knew where did this "Post an ad" functionality come from)

That why i asked you to replicate the problem on a sandbox site. but then you migrated a site with classipress, removing the only access i had to the sandbox and not only that but also making the purpose of that procedure, useless.

See, in order to send a problem to our developers i need to replicate from scratch a problem, for that we use a clean environment with a clean database and ask our users to replicate the problem and then tell us what they did, so we can confirm the problem on our own and send all that information to our compatibility team.

So again, i ask you to please only upload the theme or plugin that enables the "post and ad" functionality and tell me if i need to do something else to configure that functionality to work as it's working in your site.

This is the sandbox site: hidden link

I believe that you only have to upload the theme or plugin that has the "post and ad" functionality and then create an ad through the front-end.

Agin, please do not migrate any site you have, we don't need the design, we only need to replicate the wrong duplication method coming from the "post an ad" functionality.

After you do that, i'll explain why some of the elements in the add are not translated, ok?

Regards.

July 3, 2019 at 2:11 pm #4137241

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for your explanation. I understand now the purpose of your video.

Did you happen to change anything or edit codes or make updates at my site a few hours ago? I am not able to have an access to my site now... My site is displaying an error.

Every week, the representative from WPML asked me to set up the simple site. And I give them the sandbox..It take up a lot of time for me to figure out and set it up from scratch....

The sandbox I showed you is the simple set up. I give that site to WPML representatives who ask for a simple setup. I can give you the credentials to that website if you set the next message private.

Thank you.

July 3, 2019 at 3:37 pm #4137967

Alejandro
Supporter

Sure, i just activated the credentials so you can add them privately.

Could you please give me a list of steps of what i need to do in order to replicate the problem? that way i will try to replicate it on a clean environment and will send it to our developers (if i manage to replicate the issue, that is, of course).

Regards.

July 4, 2019 at 1:37 pm #4143953

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello, i spent many hours trying to make the front-end generated ads appear as duplicated automatically but i couldn't find that option anywhere, can you take a look at the sandbox site i made: hidden link

and let me know if you can find the option for the automatic duplication of the ads, please?

I need to replicate that before i can try to replicate the custom fields not being translated.

Regards

July 4, 2019 at 4:23 pm #4145405

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for your efforts and update.

"let me know if you can find the option for the automatic duplication of the ads"...I am not sure what you meant by that.

If I understand it correctly, I assumed you meant how the ads posts are duplicated from English to the 2nd language.
For those kind of issues, I asked WPML representatives on how to duplicate them. I think those are in the WPML settings > Post types translation > select "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language" for most items.....

"I need to replicate that before i can try to replicate the custom fields not being translated."....I WAS able to translate the custom fields and the custom field values...I showed you some of those translations before....you can check those translations in the string translation......

The issue is NOT about NOT being able to translate them. But, it is about the failure of those translated items to appear as translations when the 2nd language switch is switched ON by the visitors of the site.

Please let me know if I clarify things further.

July 5, 2019 at 8:42 am #4149251

Alejandro
Supporter

Ok i finally replicated what you meant and the problem is coming from the authentication part of classipress. ("state" custom field from dropdown not being able to work on the front-end "post an ad" feature when translated)

I doubt that has to do with WPML but i sent it to our developers so they can take a look at it, and determine exactly if it is WPML's behaviour causing this or if it's a compatibility issue.

The "post an ad" feature has many issues, though, so that will influence in the other problem you had (certain categories not showing as translated even though they are).

For now, i'll send the case to our developers about the "post an ad" feature and also about the custom fields giving issues (like the state one that doesn't work when translated) and see what they tell me and after those are fixed we can open a new ticket and continue with further issues (if there will still be some)

Because it seems all the problems you're having are linked to these problems i just mentioned above.

July 5, 2019 at 11:30 am #4150809

hlaingM

Hi,

I greatly appreciate your efforts and time. I am awaiting your reply on this issue. Thanks.

July 5, 2019 at 11:40 am #4150883

Alejandro
Supporter

Sure,

I'll update you as soon as the developers update me on the case.
In the meantime, i'm setting your ticket status as "Escalated to Compatibility team" so our team can see it.

Please don't answer to this message (for now, at least).

Regards.

July 11, 2019 at 7:05 am #4186507

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello,

Our developers gave us a quick workaround for the "state" translation not working correctly but before you start adding it, please undertand that the only reason why i'm giving you this workaround is because the theme has several incompatibilities and we haven't been able to start working with the author.

This might take some time and the workaround will allow you to at least continue working while we work with the author to permanently fix the issue.

Having said this, you should go to this directory:

wp-content/themes/classipress/includes/views-checkout.php

then, you should find and commment the following line:

if ( array_diff( (array)$field_value, $options ) && array_diff( (array)$field_value, $options_escaped ) ) {
    $errors->add( 'invalid-' . $field->field_name, sprintf( __( 'Error: The "%s" field is invalid.', APP_TD ), translate( $field->field_label, APP_TD ) ) );
}

Which should be found in line 1132.

Now, what this does is lift the field validation process, which in this case is not that much of a problem, but you should be aware of that, ok?

We will be working on the rest and hopefully have good news in the near future.

Regards.

July 11, 2019 at 7:11 pm #4192807

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you very much for an update and assistance. Yes, your WPML team needs to directly talk to appthemes developer(s) which claim that their theme is completely compatible with WPML. Since they introduced a major change in their theme last year, they probably did not take the compatibility issue with WPML into consideration. I know there are several other issues regarding incompatibility with WPML.

After commenting the specific codes you mentioned, I did the testing.

hidden link
hidden link

The difference between the 2 links is that one is what you see when the English language switch is ON, and the other one is what you see when the 2nd language switch is ON.

If you look at that ad "white persian cat lost", under additional info, (Category, Region, Town of Township, Approximate date (lost)) are data fields, whereas on the right of the data fields is the data field value for the corresponding data field. If you compare the 2 links, you will see that the language of those data fields gets switched as you switch on the language back and forth...

But, the issue here is that the language of the data field values is NOT changing as you change the language using the language switch.....

Could you please help me with this issue? Thank you.

July 12, 2019 at 2:50 pm #4199927

Alejandro
Supporter

Is there any way that you can export from your theme all the custom fields you have on your site and send it to me so i can install them on my sandbox a run further tests on this issue, please?

Because there are a few steps i'm missing here on how to create those custom fields and how to set them up on the ads which i need to know in order to replicate this problem on my end and then send it to our developers.

Regards.

July 12, 2019 at 5:59 pm #4200767
hlaingM

Hi,

I don't know how to export the custom fields from the theme. Let me know if you know how to do.

I have attached the detailed instructions on how to create custom fields and custom field values and how to incorporate those custom fields into the (ad submission) form.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

New threads created by Alejandro and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-data-translated-with-string-translation-do-not-appear-in-ad-submission-form-w/