This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
September 11, 2019 at 7:22 am #4551065

augerinosv

In holisticaym.com the database keeps getting larger and larger. I recreate tables and that solve the problem for a day or two but database keeps getting large. I need help to solve this. All plugins are updated, WPML also.

We need to stop database getting larger everyday. From what i read you suggest to recreate the tables from troubleshooting but that is just an temporary solution as in my case i need to do this every 2-3 days.

September 12, 2019 at 8:30 am #4559269

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps after a full site backup and make sure the issue is existing or not.

1) Upgrade to WPML 4.2.8(we have released the new version recently)

2) Go to WPML>>Support page

3) Click on Troubleshooting link (blue link in the middle of the page)

4) In Troubleshooting page, please click on the following options of the *Clean up* section. Wait for confirmation of processing after each one.

- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information
- Fix WPML tables collation
- Assign translation status to duplicated content
- Fix terms count
- Fix post type assignment
- Recreate ST DB cache tables

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 12, 2019 at 9:21 am #4559757

augerinosv

Followed all the above instructions. I will keep this open until tomorrow so i can check database size again.

September 12, 2019 at 12:24 pm #4560853

augerinosv

No luck with the above instructions. Yes it reduced the database size but it is growing again. Can i provide credentials to have a look in my backend?

September 12, 2019 at 1:25 pm #4561225

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. Is it possible to consider a staging site(clone copy of the live site) on the same server? So we can debug it further without affecting your live site.

Which tables of the database are increasing, icl_string_pages?

Maybe you are facing this issue because of compatibility conflicts. So to make sure if possible, please do the following steps.

a) Backup your site first
b) Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like 2017
c) Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML
d) If the issue is gone, activate the plugin one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 12, 2019 at 1:58 pm #4561485

augerinosv

Switching theme is not gonna help cause i need a few hours to see if the database increasing & i cannot take down the site for that long.

Yes "icl_string_pages" increasing.

I read that others have the same issue. What was the case for them? No staging site possibility at this point. How else can you help? Site is backed up so maybe you will find something looking from the back end

September 12, 2019 at 2:06 pm #4561553

augerinosv

Looks like it's a WPML issue. No other activity or updates happening in the site, plugins are well known and not so many & database increasing with WPML only files.

Waiting your reply

September 13, 2019 at 7:39 am #4566139

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. If the table is growing, one of the possible causes for that behavior would be creating duplicate strings on new pages. If there are dynamically generated strings that would be causing this increase, you would see a parallel increase also in the table _icl_strings. Normally it will resolve after WPML Troubleshooting steps.

Please check if this is the case. You can check to sort the table by IDs and check if there is a specific page generating all these strings. You could check the latest strings to see if they are different or the same and exclude the text-domains to which they belong from auto-registering in WPML > String Translations.

Another possible cause for this is aggressive caching for logged users, that could be registering strings more than once. If you have identified a specific page generating many of these strings, please check the caching for this page and disable it for logged-in users.

Please run the following query after a full site backup and check is there any difference in the result(Database table prefix may be different in your case).

TRUNCATE TABLE wp_icl_string_pages;
TRUNCATE TABLE  wp_icl_string_urls;

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 16, 2019 at 6:42 am #4576565

augerinosv

I cannot follow the above instructions which require an more advanced level. Database keep getting larger (but i think in slower pace). Is it possible to have a look in my back end and try to resolve this? I have WPML in many sites and this is the first time i deal with this problem.

September 16, 2019 at 12:12 pm #4580025

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup.

Please check the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

hidden link

Please allow me to make a duplicator copy of your site using the Duplicator plugin(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) for debugging the issue on my local server.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 17, 2019 at 7:01 am #4585901

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your permission. But Duplicator is not working fine while creating a backup with files. The result is the same while I tried with Duplicator Pro plugin. Please check the attached images.

So I made a package with Database only and downloading the site files(plugins & theme) via FTP. Will configure it manually and debug it further.

I have one more question. The size of *_icl_string_pages* is increasing randomly, am I right? I mean not after a particular action or visiting some pages or admin section.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 17, 2019 at 7:30 am #4586081

augerinosv

Hi

Yes _icl_string_pages is increasing randomly. There are no actions from our side.

September 19, 2019 at 8:06 am #4602319

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I have configured the site on my local server. The table size of *_icl_string_pages* is reduced to 48 KB from 128 MB after the WPML troubleshooting steps. Please check the attached images.

After that, I have visited most of the frontend and backend pages a few times on my local copy but the size of *_icl_string_pages* table is still 48 KB. Therefore I will do more tests on it and get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 19, 2019 at 8:11 am #4602439

augerinosv

Ok thanks for the status update

September 20, 2019 at 7:58 am #4610243

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

For your kind updates, I am not able to reproduce the issue exactly on my local server. After several visits on the frontend and backend pages the size of *_icl_string_pages* is 4.5 MB now. Please check the attached image.

We have added a lot of improvements for String Translation in the upcoming version of WPML(4.3.0). Beta version is already released for it. But it is not recommended in the live site because of beta. Please check the following URLs for more details.

https://wpml.org/2019/09/wpml-4-3-0-beta-with-faster-string-translation-and-multisite/

https://wpml.org/2019/08/wpml-4-3-beta-1-with-much-faster-string-translation/

Therefore I have a request. If possible, please make a staging site(clone copy of live site) on the same server and try with WPML 4.3 Beta. Then make sure the issue is existing or not.

--
Thanks!

Bigul