This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by bartD-18 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
August 1, 2019 at 6:15 pm #4324621

bartD-18

wp_icl_string_pages

this part of the database seems to fill up
I have recently added new functions to my site with plugins:
for Woocommerce and for Paid Membership subscriptions

pleas help me out here

thank you

Bart Denys

August 2, 2019 at 2:08 am #4325729

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. I would be very happy to help you but I didn't fully understand what is the issue.

Can you please elaborate a little more so I can better understand? Sometimes screenshots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit so if you like make use of "upload an image" below the comment area.

Thank you.

August 2, 2019 at 7:41 am #4327753

bartD-18

Hello,
I sent with this message a screenshot of the php database
in which you can see that the wp_icl_strings table is quiet heavy with 19.6 MB - this has stayed the same since I took action last night (I will explain what I did underneath)

the second table wp_icl_string_pages is the one that seems to just fill up by itself
yesterday evenening after my action it was around 3 MB and it has doubled since and is going up all the time

What I did was renewing the ST DB cache tables which helped to move out some 40 MB

Please let me know how this can be resolved as it is not workable to reset this on a regular basis...

thank you,

Bart

August 2, 2019 at 2:30 pm #4330845

bartD-18

Another update,
I have removed all unnecessary plugins and the problem remains, after 6 hours more than 10 MB has been added to the wp_icl_string_pages table.

Please advice me on how to resolve this issue,

Thank you

August 2, 2019 at 6:22 pm #4332139

Bruno
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the explanation. This is not an issue. This is the default behavior of WPML. The "wp_icl_strings" table adds all translatable strings to your site - all WordPress, plugins, and themes.

About the "wp_icl_string_pages" table, the WPML uses this to know which page a string is added to.

These tables will grow until all strings are indexed. After that, the table will grow slowly as it will only add new strings and string mapping.

That is, this is the default behavior of WPML and WPML String Translation. This should not impact performance on your site.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

August 2, 2019 at 6:28 pm #4332143

bartD-18

Hello Bruno,
thank you for this information, it is partly reassuring 🙂
Do you have any idea how big this file can become, or what an average size it usually is?
Just so I can change my hosting if necessary

Thank you and enjoy the weekend,

Bart

August 2, 2019 at 6:37 pm #4332151

Bruno
Supporter

Hello,

This will depend on how many plugins you have, your theme, and how many strings are in each plugin/theme file. The more plugins you have, the more strings there will be in these tables.

For this reason, it is difficult to aim for an average size. In general, after a few days/weeks these tables should be stable - as long as you don't add many plugins over time. If you install another plugin or change your theme that has many strings, then the table will grow back.

Thank you.

August 2, 2019 at 6:46 pm #4332211

bartD-18

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!