This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices.

Last updated by PetBooking.it 3 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
September 22, 2016 at 7:28 am #1093893

joanv-3

Lately I noticed there was an other update to WPML from 3.5.1.1 to 3.5.2. I wanted to check what has changed, but a change log is nowhere to be found.
To be honest I lost my faith a bit in WPML as it seems to be quite unstable; with the last few updates several new problems were introduced, among which the issue with the exploding wp_icl_string_pages table. Therefore I wanted to make a snapshot of the live version to test the update before putting it live, but importing the database fails on the testsite. On closer inspection I noticed the wp_icl_string_pages table is once more growing rapidly, 2.315.437 rows and 87.2MB , so it seems the bug wasn't fixed properly the last update.

So now I'm stuck with a situation where I have a leak in the database due to WPLML, I don't want to update WPML on the live site because I'm afraid it might break the site, especially since I cannot check the changelog to asses if there was anything fixed on this part to justify the risk. But I can't test the update on the testsite either because the import fails due to the same bug.

All in all; I'm getting more and more uphappy with WPML lately. I hope you will give you outmost to fix this problem asap and assist me on this.

September 22, 2016 at 2:45 pm #1095319

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

The latest version details can be found here: https://wpml.org/version/3-5-2-2/

The latest version should resolve the issue with the growing database table. You can activate the latest version and then deactivate and re-activate WPML String Translation. This should truncate the icl_string_pages table and then the table should grow normally.

If you would like to send me a copy of your site, I will be happy to test this locally. You can make a snapshot of your site using the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/. Once the snapshot is complete, either upload the snapshot ZIP file and the installer.php file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox (and share the link in your reply) or right click the Duplicator links in your wp-admin and paste in your reply.

Please note: It is important to reduce the size of the package so please exclude some paths like /cache or /uploads and also exclude archives and media files.

I will enable the next reply to be private so only you and I have access to it.

September 22, 2016 at 9:37 pm #1095974

Shivani Verma

I'm having the same problem, I updated to 3.5.3 and updated all the WPML plugins to latest.

I'm still getting a ton of Table 'wp_visualstudio.wp_icl_string_pages' doesn't exist errors.

I found other people resolved this by adding the table however I don't know what structure the table should be. Can you please help?

September 23, 2016 at 6:07 am #1096171

joanv-3

Hi Lauren, As mentioned before, I cannot make snapshots/backups. I tried several methods/plugins among which Duplicator, but this one also gave exporting errors, probably due to time-outs while exporting the large database tables. I managed to make a backup with the hosting company and I will try to update WPML to 3.5.2. I'll revert if this is successful and if this solves the problem.

September 23, 2016 at 4:48 pm #1098003

Bobby
Supporter

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

Lauren is currently off line today.

I would like to inform you that we have released WPML version 3.5.3 today

Please update to the latest version

Kind Regards,
Bobby

September 27, 2016 at 6:04 am #1101688

joanv-3

Hi, after the update to 3.5.2 the table size was reduced. Now the table is growing again, however at a very low rate; ref image. Is this normal behavior? I'll update to 3.5.3 today, after I've made a backup.

September 27, 2016 at 7:07 pm #1103103

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the screenshot !

Please update to WPML 3.5.3 and update me with your results

Thank you.
Bobby

September 29, 2016 at 7:24 am #1104305

joanv-3

Table is still growing after update to 3.5.3, though not as fast as before, ref image

September 29, 2016 at 8:13 pm #1105166

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

With this WPML version you should have a much better size of a table and it should of have reduced the size..

this is the public documentation
=>https://wpml.org/errata/big-icl_string_pages-table-wpml-3-5-0-causes-performance-issues/

Your rows were at 2.315.437 rows and 87.2MB and now 21k and 3 ? correct?

are you still having issues transfering due to the size?

October 4, 2016 at 12:52 pm #1107976

joanv-3

Hi, Database table is still growing in a slow pace. For now I'll assume that is normal behavoir. I'll keep a close watch on it and will report back when it gets to big again. Making site snaps is ok again.

January 8, 2019 at 9:25 pm #3068940

bedri-firatK

hello i have same problem and i use WPML 4.0.8. Do you have a resolve?

wp_icl_string_pages 701,6 mb

May 6, 2019 at 9:44 am #3746597

sanderG

Hi There,

For a couple of month I have the same problem. I run WPML Multilingual CMS 4.2.6 and WPML String Translation 2.10.4 (currently turned off because of the problem). If I turn on string translation, my database expands with about 5 mb per minute.

May 12, 2019 at 6:02 am #3792409

ugoL-3

Hi

I have the very same problem and I need to bring my database back to its normal size A.S.A.P. as I am exceeding by far my disk quota.

I paste below the message I got from my host.

Can you please help finding a solution ASAP?
Thank you
-------------------

... the database here is unbelievably huge relative to the amount of content on the site. This is almost entirely the 'wp_icl_string_pages' database table. It contains over 187,000,000 rows using up >10 GB on its own. Those rows are just content like this:

id string_id url_id
187652001 2981 7
187652002 2994 7
187652003 2951 7

And that continues for the 187 million+ rows. I think the translation plugin you're using (which is what this is related to) is going into some kind of loop and just continually writing to this table - it may be worth contacting their support to see if there is some way to stop this or if the content can be purged.

November 18, 2019 at 4:17 pm #4966783

PetBooking.it

I quote people up here, I have 1.6gb wp_icl_string_pages, latest realease, deactivated and reactivated.