This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
October 1, 2018 at 8:25 am #2777371

stephene-4

I am trying to:Reinstall WPML CMS on a wordpress multisite. I've gone through the reset, deletion and reinstallation several times now but the same errors seem to persist.

1. The database tables are not being created on the reinstall.
2. The "WPML is missing some records in the languages table" persist even after going through the steps in the troubleshooter.
3. Options to filter and translate pages in the admin console are missing.
4. The following error persists after deleting the plugin "The plugin sitepress-multilingual-cms/sitepress.php has been deactivated due to an error: Plugin file does not exist."

Is it possible to completely remove the installation and start over?

October 2, 2018 at 3:25 pm #2782054

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I have a few questions for you please.

1. If you go to the /wp-content/ folder, do you see the sitepress-multilingual-cms folder?
2. If you check you DB can you see any 'icl' table?
3. How exactly are you re-installing the WPML plugin?

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 3, 2018 at 1:18 am #2783068

stephene-4

Hi,

I'll start with 3. I'm uploading and installing sitepress-multilingual-cms.4.0.7.zip by uploading using the wordpress admin dashboard - network sites - add plugins - upload.

This seems to install the sitepress folder correctly under /wp-content/

When i go into phpadmin and review the database none of the icl tables are there.

After reviewing the wordpress debug file i see several reference to the tables missing. Since they don't exist these errors make sense.

Keep in mind i reset my initial install and removed the reference to sitepress in the wp_options tables as noted in another support thread.

October 3, 2018 at 6:20 am #2783546

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for the extra details.

Can you please share with me the link to the other support ticket?

Also, can you share with me the access to your site so I can check things?
Since it is multisite, it will be good if you can share with me access as a network administrator.

If you agree, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue.
You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

If you prefer to do it on your own, you can provide me with the snapshot of your website following these directions:
If you already know how Duplicator works (http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/), please skip the following steps and just send me the installer file and the zipped package you downloaded.
Duplicator instructions
- From WordPress plugin page, look for “Duplicator” and install it.
- Once installed, you get a new item in the main menu “Duplicator.”
- Chose “Packages.”
- Click on the first button you find in the toolbar on the right (“Create Package”)
- Give it a name or leave it as is
- Click on “Create Package Set.”
- Wait until the package is ready
- Click on “Installer”, then on “Package”: the first one is just a PHP script, the second one is a zip file containing everything you need
- Send me both files (you probably want to use DropBox, Google Drive, or similar services, as the snapshot file will be quite big).

Once the problem is resolved, I will delete the local site.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to take a complete backup of your site and database first before you proceed!
Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please, could you provide me the additional Info and as well permit me to perform the required steps?

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 4, 2018 at 7:41 pm #2788687

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I'm sorry, but something is not working with the credentials that you have shared with me. Could please check them and see what's wrong?
I'll enable private message again so you can share with me the correct access details.

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 7, 2018 at 10:24 am #2793738

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thank you for the access details. Now they work.

I've checked things on your site, and I can see the issue. But I also think that there are a few problems with your WordPress multisite installation (memory and cache) that might cause the issues with the DB errors in the debug.log file and the following admin message.

WPML is missing some records in the languages tables, and it cannot fully work until this issue is fixed.

First I've tried to replicate the problem on your site and see what happens when I try to install WPML. Before doing that I've checked the wp-config.php file and the debug.log file. The wp-config.php contained this line.

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

This is very good (and many times necessary) to add this line, but it is also important to add the following line to allow memory limit for admin operations as well.

define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

So, I've added this line in the wp-config.php file of your site on line number 84.
You can read more about our minimum requirements and increasing WordPress memory at the following links.
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

Then I've continued to install WPML through My Sites -> Network Admin -> Plugins. Indeed the upload is working, and I can see the 'sitepress-multilingual-cms' folder in /wp-content/plugins/. But besides all the WordPress database errors in the debug.log file that you have already mentioned, I can see the following error that shouldn't be disregarded.

[07-Oct-2018 09:51:10 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 2097152 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1642496 bytes) in /home/globa921/public_html/wp-content/object-cache.php on line 346

So I suspect that there is some issue with the cache on your site because although that we have raised the memory on your sit'es installation we are receiving this error which seems to come from the object-cache.php. I can also see other object-cache files in the wp-content folder (old, old2, 234). So in the light of the above, I would like to please to ask the following from you.
1. Do you know what is this object-cache.php file and it outputs the memory fatal error?
It seems to be related to the cache plugins that you are using.
2. Maybe you should try the following.
A. Take a full backup of your site.
B. Clear all the cache from your site.
C. Deactivate the cache plugins.
D. Proceed with the setup of WPML and see if it is working and all the tables 'icl' tables are installed and that you can proceed to work with WPML without getting the DB errors in the debug.log file.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

Please let me know the outcome of this.

P.S. There seems to be a problem with the other site (helpinghands) on your multisite installation. It is not working, and for some reason, it has its own DB wich I think is wrong when working with a WordPress multisite installation.

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 7, 2018 at 10:28 am #2793742

Itamar
Supporter

Hi again.

In addition to the above, I also want to mention that I've installed the ARI Adminer plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/ari-adminer/) on your site to be able to check the DB.

Regards,
Itamar.

October 8, 2018 at 8:57 am #2795210

stephene-4

Hi Itamar,

I appreciate you taking a look at this and adding the wp_max_memory_limit. The object-cache.php (Memcached Redux) seems to be something my siteprovider has included. I don't seem to have any direct control over this plugin. With that being said I'll reach out to them to better understand what's causing this particular error.

Just a reminder the first time i installed WPML it created both the multilingual-cms' folder in /wp-content/plugins/ and tables in the database. It was only after resetting the plugin, uninstalling it and removing the tables according to instructions in your support forum that the re-installation fails to recreate the database tables. Is there something that's persisting after all this that's causing the reinstall to fail?

Thanks - Jim

October 8, 2018 at 11:43 am #2795839

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Jim.

Could you please refer me to the instructions that you have followed on how to reset WPML and re-install it?

Meanwhile, I'm also consulting out second-tier supporters about this issue.

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 8, 2018 at 1:02 pm #2796064

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Jim.

Our second tier supporter draws my attention to the following. On a multisite, you need to reset WPML trough the network admin in the WPML tab. Please read more about it in our documentation here. https://wpml.org/documentation/support/multisite-support/
Is this how you have reset WPML?

October 9, 2018 at 6:45 am #2798408

stephene-4

Hi,

These were the 2 support threads that seemed to have the most bearing. I've used both methods.

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/delete-tables-left-after-wpml-uninstall-how-to-remove-completely/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-reset-wpml-entirely-wrong-site-content-language-selected/

Yes I'm aware of the multisite instructions to install. Is there something unique about unistalling for multisite? Did I possibly miss a step.

I apologize for not being more detailed in the steps i've taken. I worked through a few of your support threads trying to resolve this. All i can verify at this point is that the installation will not recreate the databases. Is there a flag or something lingering from the prior install that's preventing the re-install? How can we troubleshoot this?

October 9, 2018 at 8:06 am #2798796

stephene-4

So I've reset wpml again in the network admin console and delete the application. I've checked the WordPress database and all the lcf tables have been removed. The directory has also been removed under wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/. Based on everything I'm seeing the plugin should be completely uninstalled.

But when I look at my installed plugins in my network admin console I see an error:

"The plugin sitepress-multilingual-cms/sitepress.php has been deactivated due to an error: Plugin file does not exist."

If everything has been removed then why am I receiving this error? I suspect something else needs to be uninstalled or updated to completely remove the plugin. Maybe this has something to do with my error reinstalling the plugin.

October 9, 2018 at 5:35 pm #2801465

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for trying my suggestions.

In the _options table, I can still see the following WPML options.

_wpml_inactive value =1
wpml_language_switcher_template_objects = no value
wpml_start_version = 4.0.7
icl_sitepress_settings = a:1:{s:25:”icl_capabilities_verified”;b:1;}

I'm consulting our second tier to see if it is related.
I'll keep you updated here.

Regards,
Itamar.

October 10, 2018 at 2:47 pm #2804882

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Jim.

Here is what our second tier supporter writes:
That message should appear only if the user deleted the WPML plugin without using the WordPress interface. If the message is STUCK and being CONSTANTLY displayed, then there is a problem with the cache of the site – too aggressive cache that cached everything.

When I go to My Sites -> Network Admin -> Sites I can see that the Dynamic Cache is enabled. What is that?
Please find out about server-side cache with your hosting service.
In any case, I think that you can try and install WPML again now.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

I've visited the admin section of your site again now. Before that, I could see that the other site on your multisite installation was not available. Now there seems to be an improvement, and it is available if I go to My Sites -> Network Admin -> Sites. But for some reason, it is not available under My Sites, and it is not possible to get to the backend of this site.
Moreover, I can see two DBs when I check your DB with the ARI Adminer plugin. One DB is for the multisite, but how come that I can see another DB? I mention all this just to raise the suspicion that something in your multisite installation is not configured correctly and that you should check it.

Thanks,
Itamar.

October 12, 2018 at 3:24 am #2810624

stephene-4

Hi Itamar,

The dynamic cache is provided by our service provider. I've purged and disabled it. The error still appears in our network site plugin screen.

I've also removed the other site since it was only a test. Currently, we only have the one networked site.

I would prefer to resolve the removal of the error before trying to reinstall the plugin. What are the next steps to get this resolved?

The topic ‘[Closed] DB Tables are not recreated on reinstall’ is closed to new replies.