This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Minesh 5 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Minesh.

Author Posts
August 26, 2014 at 5:06 am #457435

Richard

While trying to debug another issues with my site, which was caused by WPML, I deactivated the WPML Multilingual CMS plugin.

I still had the String Translation, and Management plugins activated. Normally, those plugins end up showing error messages saying that they can not function without the WPML Multilingual CMS plugin activated.

In 3.1.7.1, I immediately crashed my WP Admin plugins page. I could not go back and reactivate the plugin, so my site stopped functioning. The error message that came up was the following.

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_current_language() on a non-object in ....../wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/inc/functions.php on line 2372

I believe the String Translation plugin should fail gracefully and not crash the site as it use to in previous releases.

I had to go into the database, and try and reactivate the plugin by manually updating the active_plugins field in my options table, to be able to get a working site again.

Please fix this.

Thank you,
Richard Cook

August 26, 2014 at 6:58 am #457460

Minesh
Supporter

Thank you for contacting WPML support!!

***Please take FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***

Can you please try to downgrade to WPML 3.1.7 and check the issue is still persist with this version?

August 26, 2014 at 7:08 am #457464

Richard

Sorry, I do not have time to do this.

You should be able to test for this on your own test installations.

Rich

August 28, 2014 at 12:50 pm #459281

michaelW-12

Hi Richard and Minesh - I also deactivated the WPML Multilingual CMS plugin. and it has broken my site and i cannot login my backed. Very poor such an expensive plugin! I am trying to work out how to manually active the WPML Multilingual CMS plugin in my options table. that seem to be serialized.

Michael

August 28, 2014 at 1:29 pm #459312

Richard

Hi Michael,

I tried reactivating it myself by adding it to the serialized array in the options table, but I think I ended up messing up the string. I was able to get my WP admin to work again, but it looked like WP ended up wiping out the string and turning off all my plugins.

I then just turned on all the plugins that I had on before from the admin UI.

Maybe you can give this a try.

Rich

August 29, 2014 at 1:09 am #459649

michaelW-12

Hi Richard,

Thanks for those tips.
I just renamed the String Translation plugin folder (ftp) and was able to login and reactivate plugin.
There are a few methods to fix
I also as a test changed the active plugins serialized code in wp-options..my code said I had 15 plugins active I changed this to 0 to deactivate all plugins.

What a waste of time that was! But problem resolved.

WPML Multilingual CMS Version 3.1.7.2 | WP

Thanks again Rich for the quick response.

Michael

August 29, 2014 at 3:51 pm #460120

Ahmed Mohammed
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Thanks for the reply, it's Ahmed and I'm taking care of this as Minesh is off today.

We've recently release String Translation v2.0.8 and this bug assumed to be fixed..!

Thanks!

September 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm #461126

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please follow Ahmead's suggestion

The topic ‘[Closed] Deactivating WPML Multilingual CMS before WPML String Transl causes WP to crash’ is closed to new replies.