This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:Default language is inactive

Solution:please go to WPML => Support -> "Troubleshooting" and performing the troubleshooting actions to assign language to pages/posts.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tobaisE 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
October 9, 2018 at 8:06 am

tobaisE

I am trying to:
Make the site multi-lingual. Default language is German and I want to add English. I installed and activate the Plugin WPML Multilingual CMS in latest version. I used the wizard to configure the plugin, but already in the 2nd step, I was not able to tick German as language.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:
It shows German as inaktive language - and I can not activate it.

I think here https://wpml.org/de/forums/topic/deutsch-als-sprache-inaktiv/ is the same problem reported

MAYBE: I used the locotranslate plugin before, but I deactivated it before install the WPML Plugin

October 9, 2018 at 7:36 pm #2801833

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

it seems that there is already some content added under the German language with WPML.

have you used WPML in the past on this website ?

I used the access details provided above and enabled the greyed out German language to be selected, and clicked on the "next" button.

please finish the rest of the configuration steps with your desired options and let me know your results

October 9, 2018 at 7:52 pm #2801857

tobaisE

Hi Bobby,
thx for your effort. But now the pages are not show and get 404!

October 9, 2018 at 8:07 pm #2801922

tobaisE

So I deactivated the WPML again - because I dont want to miss sales.
But you can reactivate them to see the issue. Please let me know your findings. thx

October 9, 2018 at 11:11 pm #2802341

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

I was able to resolve the issue by going to WPML => Support -> "Troubleshooting" and performing the troubleshooting actions to assign language to pages/posts.

I have also deactivated the plugin , so you can re activate it when you are ready, but the issue should be resolved now.

October 15, 2018 at 7:22 am #2816403

tobaisE

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!