This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
February 14, 2017 at 9:39 am #1207612

miguelF-4

Almost everyday we found that the default WPML language of is different of the one we have set as default (spanish). We usually find it set to french or english and we usually find incoherences between the language of the site and the language of the main menu until we set again the default wpml to spanish.

We have created a test clone of the site in beta.azimutbussolutions.com but there the problem doesn't happen, so we guess it is a traffic related issue.
We've also experimented with different automatic language redirection configurations (including switching it off) and the problem persists.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: The website default language in spanish.

Instead, I got: We often find it set to english or french

Steps to duplicate the issue: Set the default language to spanish, wait 24 hours more or less.

February 15, 2017 at 4:36 am #1208568

Dat Hoang

As I see you have you're selecting these options:

1. Language URL Format: "Different languages in directories" and "Use directory for default language".

2. Select the option "Browser language redirect".

Please note that "Browser language redirect" is saved for at least 24 hours.
And it's not clear how you're configuring for the root page? I think this might matter. Please provide this info.

February 16, 2017 at 11:07 am #1209942

miguelF-4

Hi, We've configured a root page for the domain and set it in the configuration, but the issue persists.
We had previously configured to show the default language directority (/es) because to be honest we're a bit desperate, as the issue happens almost with any configuration of the wmpl plugin. Please check it out now

February 17, 2017 at 4:15 am #1210715

Dat Hoang

I would like to make sure that the default language you mean is set in WPML -> Languages -> Site languages?

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. hidden link

This info is private and available to you and supporters only. Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note that:
+ Backup (both files and database) your site before giving us your credentials
+ It would be better if you give me the test site rather than the live site.

We'd like to request the permission to disable, enable and install themes and plugins for this site. Please accept this?

February 20, 2017 at 3:40 am #1212073

Dat Hoang

I'm sorry. My IP is not static, then it does not make sense in this case. Can you please loosen the firewall temporarily?

Yes, of course, you should provide the site that's having the problem.
In this case, it's a production site, I will just take a look and do nothing more.

You can update your site credentials in your previous private reply.

February 21, 2017 at 9:01 am #1213303

miguelF-4

Hi, yesterday I provided you the access to the production server updating the last private message. As you can see, although we left configured spanish as default language today it is right set automatically in german. We left it as it is, we won't touch anything during today so you can watch the issue, feel free to change again the default language to spanish if you want to reproduce the behaviour. Thanks.

February 22, 2017 at 3:48 am #1214144

Dat Hoang

Thanks for your info.

I've just logged-in, the default language was English. I've changed it to Spanish again.
I will wait for some hours, then check again and let you know.

February 22, 2017 at 8:07 am #1214249

Dat Hoang

FYI: Over 4 hours passed, I am checking your site default language again.
The default language is still Spanish.

Will check more later.

February 22, 2017 at 8:40 am #1214291

miguelF-4

Yes, indeed we suspect it is a traffic-related issue so it depends of the origin of the visits and we cannot predict exactly when it will happen, so please wait a few hours more. It usually changes in a 24-48 hours period.

February 23, 2017 at 3:23 am #1215160

Dat Hoang

Well, now it's set to French.

To avoid the issue, I think you should temporarily choose the option "Use directory for default language"

I'm checking with my team, will get back to you later.
This case is a bit complicated because we don't know exactly how to replicate the issue and it happens on the production site only.

February 24, 2017 at 2:30 am #1216215

Dat Hoang

I've checked again. It's still "French".

It looks like you opened the same thread in Spanish: https://wpml.org/es/forums/topic/el-idioma-por-defecto-se-cambia-de-forma-aleatoria-cada-pocos-dias/

We discussed this. The only possibility we can think of is someone has changed your default language.

We still need the steps to replicate the issue. If not, it's almost impossible to further troubleshoot.

February 27, 2017 at 8:17 am #1217729

miguelF-4

Ok, we see that you're stuck in the same point that us. We're sure that no one is changing the default language. We've been weeks trying to diagnose the origin of the problem but we cannot afford having the production website with the wrong default language, so we will stick with the "default language with directory" setting and will configure some type of redirection from the root page to the default language version.
Thanks for your help anyway, If there is someone that experiences the same issues that us and you find a solution please let us know

May 24, 2019 at 1:51 am #3880055

sashaP-2

Hi,

We are having the exact same problem.
Has there been a fix for this? Did you find a solution?

Thank you