This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
September 16, 2019 at 2:30 pm #4581343

davidV-73

Hi,

I am trying to complete the setup of WPML. As of this morning, the homepage puts out 404 error. All Woocommerce products had $0 price and basically the site was a mess.

In the backend, there were no pages associated with the site's languages (newly added French and German), and the default language, English, was not showing at all to be linked to content.

Turned off WPML plugins, everything went back to normal.

Why isn't the default language showing anywhere? How can I resolve the problem?

Thanks,
Amir

September 16, 2019 at 10:16 pm #4584409

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

Before taking any further steps please change the wp_memory_limit.

Could you please increase your WP Memory limit to 256M? 128M is the minimum required by WPML.
Your current values are:

PHP MemoryLimit 1024M
WP Memory Limit 40M
Add this code to your wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/* Memory Limit /
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Paste it just before:

/ That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. /

These settings can be limited directly by your hosting provider, so I recommend you to contact and ask them to modify them directly.
If you can get even higher values It would be great.

https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
Note: WPML needs a minimum WP Memory limit of 128M to work only under a minimal environment, it means, with a default theme and not other plugins installed.

Now, in case the issue persists proceed as followed:

1) Disable any additional plugin that is not related to WPML and its add-ons.
2) If the issue disappears please start reactivating any plugins, or activate them in small groups. This way please verify at which points the issue appears again to indicate the plugin that is causing the issue.
3) Also please change to a default theme like TwentySeventeen to see if the issue might be theme related.

Further, you could enable the wp-debug feature to see if there are any current PHP errors given.

Add the following to your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

If you open wp-config.php and that define statement is not there, you can add it right before this line:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

You will be able to find a complete report inside of your wp-content folder. Look for a debug.log file and provide me the results.

More information about how to activate this feature you can find here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Let me know about the results. In case the debug-log is very long please add it to a web tool like pastebin.com and send me the link.

Kind regards,
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] Default language not active, homepage 404 error’ is closed to new replies.