Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The default locale shown for Myanmar (Burmese) in that link is my_MM. I used that locale to create the secondary language I am currently translating into.

However, I found out that that particular language is based on Unicode. There are 2 main types of Burmese fonts (Zawgyi-One (95% of the population uses it) and Unicode (5% of the population uses it)) with different keyboard character arrangements and compatibility with different internet platforms.

For any browser chosen, ONLY one type of Burmese font can be readable.

Solution: Make sure that the font used on the website has support for the myanmar language. Also, make sure that the font you're using is not installed just locally, on the computer used to develop the website. This may cause the issue where the font is looking fine only on one computer.

This topic contains 42 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by hlaingM 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
May 14, 2019 at 10:05 pm #3810903

hlaingM

Hi,

So use this username: williamteh using the same password as the other admin username's password. I set the role to "admin" for that username.

Please let me know how it goes. Thank you.

May 16, 2019 at 12:07 am #3820627

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

Thank you. Credentials are now working. I'm in touch with 2nd tier support so they can see it.

Once we've verified your site, we'll contact you.

Thank you.

July 30, 2019 at 5:36 pm #4309873

Bruno
Supporter

Hello,

Sorry for the delay. I would like to know if this issue has already been fixed. The most recent message I have is that again the credentials are not working.

Please let me know if the problem persists. If so, please let me know the new credentials so our team can verify. Your next message will be private.

Thank you.

August 1, 2019 at 9:31 pm #4325293

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you. I forwarded your ticket back to 2nd tier support so they can check it out. Soon we will contact you again. As soon as I have any updates I will contact you.

Thank you.

October 22, 2019 at 5:42 pm #4804719

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. The 2nd tier support replied that the problem must be because of the type of font that is used. That is, the font you are using on your computer may be causing this difference.

The best option would be to use a web-font with Myanmar support. He recommended this code:

// Google font: <em><u>hidden link</u></em>

//Enqueue the google web font and overwrite the CSS
function wpml_add_google_fonts() { 
    wp_enqueue_style( 'wpml-google-fonts', '<em><u>hidden link</u></em>', false ); 
    $custom_css = "
        body, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p {
                font-family: 'Padauk', 'Calibri', CenturyGothic, 'AppleGothic', sans-serif !important;
        }";
    wp_add_inline_style( 'wpml-google-fonts', $custom_css );
}
//Trigger the function only if the language MYA is active
if ( defined( 'ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE' ) && 'mya' == ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE ) {
    add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'wpml_add_google_fonts' );
}

It should fix the issue in all cases. Please, let me know if using the code above helps solve the problem.

Thank you.

October 25, 2019 at 7:55 am #4824525

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for an update. Where specifically do I have to add those codes? Child-theme? which specific child-theme file?

Another question is: does that fond get downloaded to the browser of any users who do NOT have that font on their browser?

Thank you,

October 25, 2019 at 4:24 pm #4828683

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

You must add this code into the functions.php file of your child theme. If this file does not exist, you must create and add it below the PHP opening line:

<?php

// ... code here

>>> Another question is: does that fond get downloaded to the browser of any users who do NOT have that font on their browser?

This font will be used directly in the browser, but not necessarily be installed on your user's PC. This font will be loaded from Google's servers and used at the time of browsing.

Thank you.

October 25, 2019 at 7:23 pm #4829733

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. 'Padauk' is the font you suggested. But, it is a type of unicode (but does not work with "Zawgyi".). So when I incorporated your codes, I found that texts written in "Zawgyi" are not readable.

"Pyidaungsu" is the unicode font (like a joker) but it can make the texts written in "Zawgyi" readable.... Could you please help me how I can incorporate that font in the codes you provided?

Perhaps, I might ALSO need to change the url link you provided?

'hidden link'

Thank you.

Here is what I put in my additional css section:
body, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {

font-family:"Pyidaungsu", "Calibri", CenturyGothic, "AppleGothic", sans-serif;
font-weight:bold;
color: black;

}

October 25, 2019 at 8:01 pm #4829859

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

The problem with this font is that, from what I've seen, it's not a web font. That way, you'll first need to convert this to a web font and then use it on your site.

You can make a web font using this site: hidden link. You must be sure that you can do this with the font you want - some fonts do not allow this for copyright reasons.

Then you need to edit the code above, first importing the font you generated and then setting it in the code above, as you did.

Our team had suggested the font "Padauk" because this font has a subset of "Myanmar" font and is available in Google Fonts: hidden link. The "Pyidaungsu" font, from what I saw, is not available on Google Fonts.

Thank you.

November 1, 2019 at 12:01 pm #4870633

hlaingM

Hi, I used your codes with the font "Padauk" you suggested. When I tested with other computers, I found that those Burmese characters are not properly displayed on the home page. Those characters are written in the unicode.

Are you sure that those codes enable automatic usage of "Padauk/unicode" on the browser if the browser does not have that font?

Thanks.

November 1, 2019 at 6:50 pm #4872811

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

I think so. I mean, I am believing the description that Google posted: Padauk is a fully capable Unicode 6 font supporting all the Myanmar characters in the standard. Thus it provides support for minority languages as well, in both local and Myanmar rendering styles..

Also, make sure to always clear your browser cache because you may have some data saved in your browser.

Thank you.

November 4, 2019 at 11:02 am #4879943

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

(1) What is a list of fonts that is supported by Padauk?

(2) Does a browser need to have AT LEAST one of those Padauk-family fonts? (OR) your codes in functions.php uses Padauk even if the does not have a Padauk-family font?

(3) I did test after clearing of the caches on the browser on other computers. The fonts written in Padauk/unicode on the home page of my site are not appearing as readable characters. That makes me wonder if your codes in functions.php work.

Awaiting your reply. Thanks.

November 4, 2019 at 7:59 pm #4884403

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

>>> (1) What is a list of fonts that is supported by Padauk?

Are you talking about the font character list? If so, you can see it on Google's page: hidden link

>>> (2) Does a browser need to have AT LEAST one of those Padauk-family fonts? (OR) your codes in functions.php uses Padauk even if the does not have a Padauk-family font?

The purpose of using a web font, in general, is precisely for the font to be rendered even if the font is not installed on the user's computer. Just using the code I posted above, this should work correctly.

>>> (3) I did test after clearing of the caches on the browser on other computers. The fonts written in Padauk/unicode on the home page of my site are not appearing as readable characters. That makes me wonder if your codes in functions.php work.

Yes, this code should work correctly. I tested this in my test environment and the font was displayed correctly, with the characters correctly rendered. I even tested it in our online testing environment: hidden link

Thank you.

November 5, 2019 at 10:43 am #4887767

hlaingM

Hi,

Thank you for your responses.
Could you please take and send me the screenshot of the Home/Main PAGE of my site <www.myanmaradslist.com> to see if those appear as legible characters?

As I mentioned, based on my testing with other computers, those Burmese characters on the Home page do not appear as readable characters.

Thank you.

November 5, 2019 at 4:31 pm #4891519

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

On your site, this does not seem to be correct. From what I've noticed, it doesn't seem like your site is correctly using the code I posted earlier.

Looking at the source code of your site I see that the Google font is not loading. The only Google fonts you are loading is the "Lato", "Roboto" and "Sanchez" font. Note that the font "Padauk" is not listed and is not loaded anywhere else on the site.

I have tried to access your site with the credentials you posted earlier, but it seems to have either been changed or removed. This message is displayed: ERROR: The password you entered for the username _______ is incorrect. Lost your password?

Please, could you check the credentials so I can see why the code I posted above is not loading correctly? Your next answer will be private.

Thank you.