This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 26 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
May 5, 2019 at 2:41 pm #3743037

Mr. Ghost

How do I delete those, Spain was just used for dummy during development.
hidden link

May I also ask what language name and code are used for?
hidden link

Wonder since WPML is only prebuilt base don language, not markets. E.g I would like to use more than 1 English markets we will have 2-3-4 language name with English and code: en, would that be a problem?

Can I edit those somewhere for all ready created?

May 5, 2019 at 3:05 pm #3743195

Mr. Ghost

Saw now it cannot be two with the same code. So obviously using language as a reference is poor. I prefer using market since we target markets and not languages. How do I can English in an existing language and so the code? I want to change it to "United States" and "us" so that I separate them by market and not languages.
hidden link

This has to be able to be done from the database or somewhere, consider you say this can not be edit, later on, I assume you refer to the wpml backend but surely you can do it form the database. Help me out!

Thanks in advance.

May 5, 2019 at 3:28 pm #3743265

Mr. Ghost

Is the language name and code used anywhere except for the naming convention and database? E.g Not used frontend or in code frontend? Wonder since I will be naming them with an underscore if the code is only in the database. To better naming convention since the dash is used for urls jsut for my brain to separate them int the workflow. and the language name to use (), that's why my questions popped up.

Thanks

May 5, 2019 at 4:48 pm #3743557

Mr. Ghost

Or is the best and only solution to create a new language and then change the exsisting page to be that language? And then remove the other one? Seems and sounds like this will be best native support since if I edit in the database it will be reverted upon update?

Just let me know the language name and code and I'm good to go. But want to make sure I understand where they are used before I create this setup.

May 6, 2019 at 8:25 am #3745845

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I am not sure if I am answering the correct question - however, see this:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/

Code – the name for this language in the database. Once you set this value and add content, you should never change it, or content language will be lost. This value will be used for the language URLs. For example, http://wpml.org/es-mx/, http://wpml.org/?lang=es-mx, hidden link.

As for this:

Or is the best and only solution to create a new language and then change the exsisting page to be that language?

Can you tell me if this will help?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/changing-the-existing-contents-language/#post-1494576

"""""""
If so you can bulk duplicate all the content from German to English then delete it from the German language and only then translate into German.
You can do the bulk duplication in WPML -> Translation Management -> Translation Dashboard (tab). Please read about it at the following link.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/
"""""""

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 6, 2019 at 1:54 pm #3749489

Mr. Ghost

Quick reply now will read through and reply to the rest in the evening.

What about the first column "language name" is it used anywhere in code/frontend? Or could I write country (language) without having any trouble in the future?

"Code" I understand that's good I got that answer since I would surely swap everything to market then just another reason. But I did not have the option to customize those upon the first language Then I was only forced to pick a preconfigured language.

Regarding bulk move, we do not sue this translation management we do not need that plugin. We only use core WPML multilingual and the media translations plugin together with the ACF gue plugin. But bulk only needs to be done once, and we do not have that many pages so won't be any issue. But I assume I can only go to each page and select the new language here: hidden link and once moved I can delete the old one?

May 6, 2019 at 5:22 pm #3751419

Mr. Ghost

Understood all other questions thanks will get back to you if I face any issues:

But I did not receive an answer how to delete this data:
>How do I delete those, Spain was just used for dummy during development.
>hidden link

And my final question, how can I bulk move all images to the new language? We do not use the translation management plugin since it's not for us. It's made for bloggers. So how do I move all images?

And when changing the default language on the site it crashed! and had to recover from a back up. So how am I suppose to change default language if it crash?
hidden link

May 7, 2019 at 7:29 am #3754765

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

How do I delete those, Spain was just used for dummy during development.

You can activate this language (if hidden or disabled) and open the list of Spanish posts/pages/etc and delete them there, as you would bulk delete anything else. Deleting a WPML language will not delete the associated content, because WPML tables don't hold any of that.

And my final question, how can I bulk move all images to the new language?

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/#media-translation-settings

So how am I suppose to change default language if it crash?

This would need to be examined separately and debugged properly, as this is not a normal WPML behavior.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 7, 2019 at 5:15 pm #3760969

Mr. Ghost

You can activate this language (if hidden or disabled) and open the list of Spanish posts/pages/etc and delete them there, as you would bulk delete anything else. Deleting a WPML language will not delete the associated content, because WPML tables don't hold any of that.

Noted, and applied! Where do I remove custom flags? Since previous flags are not removed when I upload a new custom flag?

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/#media-translation-settings
Yes understood, already have this setting. So just have to create language and remove the ones from the previous language just as for Spanish. Thanks

This would need to be examined separately and debugged properly, as this is not a normal WPML behavior.

Ok what do you want, I can not sit and wait for such support I want this to be escalated. We run a stable server AWS and have 0 traffic since we block all GEO except my country during development. So there is surely some glitch in WPML since I've tried on a fresh site as well and see the same issue as soon as I change the default language. This is the issue we face and we can not come around it. Why don't you let us adjust code and language after created? Does not make any sense to me why I would not be able to edit. Polylang allow me to do so, which make so much sense.

May 7, 2019 at 5:56 pm #3761051

Mr. Ghost

Ok managed to switch default language now. But I want default language to be on the root without the market/language folder /language/ I want it to be on the / as before. But it force /language/ still. Even after resaving the settings and re-save permalinks. Any ideas?

And "Use directory for default language" is disabled.

May 7, 2019 at 6:26 pm #3761179
Mr. Ghost

No the server crashed once again, had to restore to a backup once again. Guys you have to help us sort this, I assume you have to get one of the developers directly into this thread.

Happens when we have 3 languages, and add translations of all of them and add static home page (has to be translated into all languages as you know) then it crash. It's WPML since we can troubleshoot it down to WPML and so even the senior cloud engineers.

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at [no address given] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.4.10 (Debian) Server at domain.com Port 80

New threads created by Bruno Kos and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-when-changing-the-default-language-on-the-site-it-crashed/

May 8, 2019 at 8:30 am #3764563

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I've created a new thread where we will debug that issue separately. Is there anything else I can answer on this ticket and related to language configuration and the initial query you've had?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 8, 2019 at 8:39 am #3764641

Mr. Ghost

Ok please share it's pretty critical consider we are stuck in development due to this.

No all other things are clear and sorted except how I remove custom language flags? When I change the old one is still saved in the wp-content/uploads? Can I safely remove them from sFTP?

May 8, 2019 at 9:48 am #3765249

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Can I safely remove them from sFTP?

I see no harm in this, it should work for any other media file as well.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 8, 2019 at 4:05 pm #3768869

Mr. Ghost

Thanks! But I can still see the trace of ES in our sFTP, why does it not clean? hidden link