This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
June 22, 2019 at 10:45 pm #4071789

vitoR-2

Deleting the original language (Italian) leaving the translation (English) as the main language. Then, create the translation (Italian) starting from English content.
I need to do this, because (for strange reasons) some content in Italian are unavailable but the English version is perfect.

Thanks for your further help!

veestudio.it

June 24, 2019 at 8:07 am #4075291

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Vito,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I think that you can do what you're looking for by following these steps:

• go to the Italian page that you want to delete;
  • select the English language from the top admin bar; the translated page will appear now;
  • on the right sidebar there's a field called This is a translation of which contains the name of the page in Italian; set the value on this field to --None--;
  • hit the Update button;
  • delete the Italian version of this page;
  • go back to the English version of the page;
  • create the Italian translation.

Just give this a try and tell me if it's what you were looking for. Before doing this, please create a backup of the website. This way, if anything goes wrong with this page, you'll be able to roll back the changes by using the backup.

Thanks,
Radu

July 6, 2019 at 10:48 pm #4156459

vitoR-2

Thanks Radu for your kind help.

Sorry, I was away from office and back in today.
I've tried the procedure you suggested, but unfortunately it doesn't work.
I've tried two times and respectively switched back to backup. Nothing good happened.

Is there a way to delete the whole Italian site and then, clone the English one?

Any other suggestion/procedure will be warm welcome.

Thanks very much,
Vito

July 9, 2019 at 6:52 am #4167815

Radu
Supporter

Hey Vito,

I'm afraid that the WPML plugin doesn't have any option to delete all the content from one language. If you want to remove any content, you'll have to do it manually.
Is there any chance that you could give me a link to the page that you tried to edit the way I explained, please? Also, it would be great if you could give me access to the dashboard area. This way, I can try to do the same and see why is this not working as expected.

Thanks,
Radu

July 9, 2019 at 7:07 am #4167917

vitoR-2

Hi Radu, that’s ok for me.
Please, give me your email address, I’ll send you the credentials there.

July 9, 2019 at 12:02 pm #4170401

Radu
Supporter

Hey Vito,

I set the next reply from this ticket to be private. This way, you'll be able to send me the credentials and they will be visible just to you and me.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Deleting the original language (Italian) leaving the translation (English)’ is closed to new replies.