This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 37 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Martin Davis 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Dennis.

Author Posts
April 24, 2019 at 3:19 pm #3674527

Martin Davis

I'm now starting to translate my re-developed site after using Tography, now Fiji 2 from Flothemes.

I've been told by the Flotheme support to translate pages using "duplicate" not "translate". This surprised me because I've already translated another (simpler) site using "translate". But Fiji 2 extends WordPress so the standard WPML translation system doesn't work (it doesn't find most of the text).

I had already started to translate 2 or 3 pages using "translate" and now realise that I can't use "duplicate".

So my question is: How can I get back to the original situation without de-installing WPML?

April 25, 2019 at 6:27 am #3679043

Dennis
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Manila (GMT+08:00)

Hi,

Welcome to WPML Support forum.

Could you please try these steps: Note:Please backup your site completely before proceeding.

-go to Pages > All pages, switch the language to one of your secondary language using the language switcher located at the admin bar.
-Find the translated page and move it to trash. Go to Trash and delete permanently.
-Now go to Pages and switch the language back to your default language. Edit the page and try to duplicate to translation.

Does it work? Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Dennis

April 25, 2019 at 3:41 pm #3684029

Martin Davis

Hi Dennis,

thanks for this remarkably fast response!

I created a new test page. Translated this using "translate". Did the steps you suggested. Worked wonderfully.

But ...

WPML only finds the "standard" WordPress text strings in the page, not the "extra" strings in the Flothemes blocks.

I got this message from Flothemes support:

------------------------------

This is how works WPML - it creates a clone of the page - for example, Translate doesn't create clones - it simply uses JSON objects to show different content

This is the documentation for the WMPL translate - hidden link

We don't rewrite or change WPML functionality, so I recommend you to check WPML documentation if you face off any difficulties with the translation process - https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/

------------------------------

The first link didn't help at all. But I suppose I'll have to get back to Flothemes about this.

About your note: please backup your site completely before proceeding. Which backup plugin would you suggest for a site with over 2,000 photos?

Best regards

Martin Davis

April 26, 2019 at 5:56 am #3687941

Dennis
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

This seems to be a compatibility issue. To confirm this, we have to reproduce the issue on a clean install so I have created a test site for you. You can now access it using the link below.

hidden link

Could you please upload your theme, if possible try to replicate the issue. You do not have to recreate your site, just install the minimum necessary to reproduce the problem.

Please let me know once done so I can go and check. If you have any questions please let us know.

P.S. Most of our clients use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/)

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Dennis

April 26, 2019 at 11:22 am #3690267

Martin Davis

Hi Dennis,

thanks for this mail.

I updated the plugins (not the WPML ones because of registration problems).

I installed the theme and the child theme.

I installed the necessary plugins for this theme.

I created 2 pages (each with 2 languages): one using "translate", one using "duplicate".

I've no idea how the translation is meant to work with the fiji 2 blocks.

I've used WPML to translate a site using the theme Nirvana (and "translate"). No problem: WPML looks through the page and offers me the strings to translate.

But WPML doesn't look through the fiji 2 blocks (how can it?).

This link from Flothemes support:

hidden link

didn't help at all.

-------------------------

Then you need to translate all the pages, galleries, blog posts and other posts types which require translation.
In order to do that, we recommend to edit the original page, duplicate it, and then translate it.

-------------------------

No, that doesn't help.

So what should I do now?

Best regards

Martin Davis

April 26, 2019 at 11:36 am #3690413

Martin Davis

Hi Dennis,

I've looked at this video (again) from Flothemes:

hidden link

And now it's finally dawned on me.

I've got to create a duplicate page using WPML and then go through everything translating all the texts. I can't say that I find this a very way comfortable of doing things. I can't say that Flothemes has a seamless integration with WPML.

Is there an easier way of doing things? Or must I create 2 duplicate pages using WPML (one per language) and then find all the strings to translate in all the blocks and then translate them?

Best regards

Martin Davis

April 29, 2019 at 7:52 am #3700743

Dennis
Supporter

Hi,

Unfortunately, It seems that there's no better way of translating content using Flothemes aside from the methods video guide has presented.

hidden link

Kind regards,
Dennis

April 29, 2019 at 8:49 am #3701239
Martin Davis

Hi Dennis,

thanks for this fast reply.

I'll quote from this link:

hidden link

--------------------------

Making a translation is simple:

Navigate to a page or post, and then in the sidebar, you’ll have a new “Language section” select duplicate, and hit duplicate button for the language of your choice.

Now the page will reload and you will have a duplicate page option under translations, just hit the pencil icon.

You will now be in the duplicate page with the original content, go ahead and update it as necessary:

--------------------------

Sorry, no, I’m not in the duplicate page with the original content. I’m in an empty page with no content.

The duplicate function in WPML doesn't duplicate the Fiji 2 blocks.

The versions of WordPress, WPML and Fiji 2 which I’ve got (all latest versions) do not behave as defined in these videos.

I've reported this to Flothemes.

But I've got a bit of a problem (to put it mildly): is this a Flothemes problem or a WPML problem?

I'll upload 4 screenshots to illustrate the problem:

For pages: the original page in English (190427 About me – English.jpg), one of the duplicate in German (190427 About me – German.jpg).

For galleries: The duplicate contains the featured image from original but not the uploaded media from original. Both check boxes were checked before performing the duplication.

It'd be good to have a suggestion for this. I redesigned the original site which used the Tography them because it had problems with WPML. And now I've got more problems with Flothemes.

PS: I tried 4 times in Chrome to upload the screenshots. Twice in Firefox. Doesn't work properly in either browser. So I'll have to try this later today. I'll just upload the 4 files without any text. The images will belong to this message.

Best regards

Martin Davis

New threads created by Dennis and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/gallery-images-not-copied-to-translation-after-duplicating/

April 29, 2019 at 9:24 am #3701557

Martin Davis

Hallo Dennis,

here's a link to the zipped screenshots on Dropbox:

hidden link

Best regards

Martin Davis

April 29, 2019 at 1:25 pm #3703739

Dennis
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your updates and more details.

Could you please confirm if the same issue occurs on the provided test server? Because I tried to create a page and added an Intro Block and uploaded an image and was able to duplicate to translation to German. The Intro Block is copied to German language.

On the test server, I was not able to reproduce the issue with the Gallery. I was able to duplicate the gallery posts with images also duplicated to secondary language.

Can you please try to deactivate all non-WPML plugins and check if the issue still persists?

Please let me know how it goes.

For confirmed compatibility issues, our compatibility team will try to contact the theme author to work with them and fix the issue. However, this process may take a while as it depends on how soon the author will reply to our efforts to contact them.

Kind regards,
Dennis

April 29, 2019 at 1:46 pm #3703995

Martin Davis

Hi Dennis,

thanks for this very fast reply!

And for your tests and suggestions.

I'll do the tests and get back to you.

Best regards

Martin

April 30, 2019 at 5:36 am #3707921

Dennis
Supporter

Hi,

Alright. Please take your time to follow the suggested solution and please let me know how it goes.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Dennis

April 30, 2019 at 7:35 am #3708771

Martin Davis

Hi Dennis,

I sent a long reply yesterday but it doesn't seem to be in the thread.

So I'll send it again here.

Here are the steps I performed yesterday testing deactivation of plugins.

Initial status

gallery: no images (decorative and featured OK)
pages: no blocks copied

1 "Auto Image Attributes From Filename With Bulk Updater"

plugin result: deactivating "Auto Image Attributes From Filename With Bulk Updater" makes no difference

2 "Duplicate Page"

plugin result: deactivating "Duplicate Page" makes no difference

3 "Flo Forms", "FloSupport", "Flothemes Theme Updater"

These are in both environments, sandbox and development ... nothing to do

4 "Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights"

plugin result: deactivating "Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights" makes no difference

5 "Post Types Order"

plugin result: deactivating "Post Types Order" makes no difference

6 "UpdraftPlus - Backup/Restore"

plugin result: deactivating "UpdraftPlus - Backup/Restore" makes no difference

7 "WP Fastest Cache"

plugin result: deactivating "WP Fastest Cache" makes no difference

8 "WP Google Maps"

plugin result: deactivating "WP Google Maps" makes no difference

9 "WPML" plugins

These are in both environments, sandbox and development ... nothing to do

Final result: deactivating all the plugins (except the Flotheme and WPML plugins on both servers) makes no difference.

I attach 2 screenshots showing the active plugin lists in both environments.

So I've no idea what's wrong. The sandbox environment works, mine doesn't.

Best regards

Martin

April 30, 2019 at 9:50 am #3710187

Dennis
Supporter

Hi,

I would like to request temporary access (/wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. Your next reply will be set to private.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally to continue debugging and escalate if necessary. For this I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Please confirm if this okay with you.

Our Debugging Procedures
I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to BACKUP the site before providing us access.

Privacy and Security Policy
We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Kind regards,
Dennis

May 1, 2019 at 9:07 am #3717149

Martin Davis

Hi Dennis,

I started a backup yesterday but this didn't finish correctly. I had hoped to be able to send you everything now but I'll to wait until this backup is completed sucessfully. The first backup I did with UpdraftPlus failed a week ago failed but the second one worked. No idea why. Entries to the log file just stop and there were a number of files missing on my backup target (Google Drive).

So when the backup is completed sucessfully I'll send you everything you need.

I didn't send this reply privately because it doesn't contain any private information.

Best regards

Martin