This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: What is the difference between duplicate and translate independently?

Solution: The option "Overwrite with [language] content" converts a translation to a duplicate. The way to undo such a connection between posts is by entering each post on the native WordPress post editor screen and select the open "translate independently" at the right upper corner on the sidebar (language options).

If the option "translate independently" is not available then this means that the post is not a duplicate of another post.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by aaronJ-5 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
January 30, 2019 at 5:09 pm #3145173

simonO-7

Hello,

in your translating guide I could not find any information about the difference of "translate" and "duplicate" a post. There is a screenshot of the WPML sidebar pane in the guide, but no explanation. I attached the image.

What is the difference?

Usability hint: After clicking the checkbox for "duplicate", a button with the same label "duplicate" appears. It is easier to work with if there would be no checkbox but an icon instead, just like the + icon on "translate".

Additional question:
On the bottom of that pane, there are two checkboxes about the behaviour of post medias. Do these have an impact on the functions of "translate" and "duplicate"? If yes, there should be on top of these functions.

Page:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/

Thank you.

January 30, 2019 at 10:19 pm #3145762

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

While the "+" icon lets you simply translate your post into a different language the checkbox for duplication behaves in a different way.

You can use duplicate to create an exact copy of your original post - if the taxonomy term translations exist, WPML adds these terms to duplicates as well.

The duplicated post will automatically be overwritten once the original post receives an update.

In case you duplicated a post already you can undo this connectivity between post content by selecting the option "translate independently" on the translated post´s editor.

The difference between “Translation” and “Duplicate” is how their content and their original content are updated.

When updating original posts and their translations, they don’t affect each other.
When updating original posts, their duplicates are copied exactly.

You can update duplicates, which does not affect their originals. However, we don’t recommend this because these changes will be erased after updating their originals. In this case, you should convert between “Duplicate” and “Translation” as mentioned earlier by choosing "translate independently" once the post was duplicated.

Please let me know if you do have any further questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

Relative documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/

January 31, 2019 at 1:47 pm #3148133

simonO-7

Hi Andreas,

thanks a lot for your quick reply!
While translating the content, I sometimes used the button "Overwrite with [language] content" which is a simple way to copy and edit the content from one post to another. I do not need posts to be duplicated = connected, moreover all posts are supposed to be translated = independent.

Now I would like to check wich posts are duplicates – which I would not want to be.
Where can I check the status? In the list of translated posts, there is no hint or detail.

Kind regards
Simon

January 31, 2019 at 2:16 pm #3148246

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for your message.

The option "Overwrite with [language] content" converts a translation to a duplicate. The way to undo such a connection between posts is by entering each post on the native WordPress post editor screen and select the open "translate independently" at the right upper corner on the sidebar (language options).

If the option "translate independently" is not available then this means that the post is not a duplicate of another post.

Please let me know if there is something else I can do for you.

Kind regards
Andreas

May 9, 2019 at 4:13 am #3772959

aaronJ-5

Hello can you please explain where the option to "translate independently" can be found? Thanks. I have this same issue, but can not find that option.