This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
June 28, 2019 at 12:31 pm #4107407

mathijsd-3

Hello, I've been using WPML for a week now and still learning a lot of things about it. I can't however find a sollution for my problem online. Hoping you can help here.

I'm setting up a website with multiple partners in different regions, because of this the content will change based on the region that was selected. The regions are UK/US/PL/FR/DE/BX(Benelux). And I want to set this up in this way if possible:

domain.com/gb/en/destination-1
domain.com/us/en/destination-1
domain.com/de/en/destination-1

All these 3 regions will have different content, and in other regions this page should not be available at all.
I also want to avoid getting duplicate content, so is it possible to link different pages to 1 content: /gb/en/destination-1 will share the same content as /fr/en/destination-1.

The way the visitor can choose his region will happen on a landingpage. But there should also be a selector in the top menu. I was thinking of using something like on hidden link, is this possible with WPML?

I hope my explanation is clear. Thanks in advance for helping!

June 28, 2019 at 1:35 pm #4107789

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I understand what you'd like to do. However, this kind of structure (with regions) would be a whole new layer over the translations. I'm afraid that creating a structure like this cannot be done using just WPML. While our plugin can handle translations, adding this regions part would require some custom coding in order to be done but this is outside of our support scope.
If you want, you can reach out to a contractor that is familiar with our plugin, from here https://wpml.org/contractors/.

Regards,
Radu

June 28, 2019 at 3:06 pm #4108937

mathijsd-3

Hej Radu, thank you for the fast reply, much appreciated!
It's a bit disappointing to hear, I figured this would be a fairly standard problem.

So working with subdomains or external domains won't offer a solution here either?

I have been reading some more and read about creating languages like "de-en", this way I can seperate the content per region and language. But I need to find a way of making it user-friendly.

Kind regards,
Mathijs

July 1, 2019 at 10:45 am #4117887

Radu
Supporter

Hey Mathijs,

You can create a separate pack of languages for each regions, as you said, but I agree with you when you're saying that this would not be user friendly. Basically, you'd have six languages and three regions for each one of them. This would mean a list of 18 languages. Also, keeping all the content synchronized will be challenging too.
I tried to think of (and look for) some other trick that might help you with this kind of structure. I will look into this a bit more and let you know if I find anything helpful.

Thanks,
Radu

July 2, 2019 at 8:50 am #4125031

mathijsd-3

Hey Radu, thank you for the support!
I have decided to contact a developer for a custom solucion. Were we will make a landingpage with region selector and filter out all the content that is not used for that specific region.
This way I can use the languages as normal within WPML. I believe this is the best way moving forward.

Thanks for the help again so far.
Mathijs

July 2, 2019 at 11:40 am #4126393

Radu
Supporter

Hey Mathijs,

I'm glad to hear that you're gonna move on with a developer to achieve this regions structure. I'm sure that this will look great!

I'm gonna mark this ticket as resolved and if you have any other issue or just a quick question, just simply open a new ticket and we'll take care of it.

Regards,
Radu