This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Rohan Sadanandan 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Rohan Sadanandan.

Author Posts
August 8, 2019 at 12:28 pm #4362863

nickB-26

First of all, I love the WPML plugin, but I need some help. You can choose different domains per language OR (sub)foler for each language. I know this question is already been asked, but is it possible to use a domain AND (sub)folder for each language.

The reason is our hidden link domain. It's two language (Dutch nl-BE) and French (fr-BE) and it's common to place this as hidden link and hidden link. I cannot choose this option, because we also have a sepay.nl domain (main install). The production environment is three seperate installs and domains.

We use our test environment (test1.sepay.nl) as a test for WPML and it works great, but we cannot use domain and subfolder. We would like to use that option.

Is there (any) way to solve this?

Thank you,

Nick

August 8, 2019 at 1:26 pm #4363217

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

From what I understood, it seems that you are having 3 different WP installations.

Actually, WPML works on a single site. WPML cannot connect two or multiple subsites or separate WP installs.
So in your case, install the WPML on the main site and then migrate the content from translated subsite or separate site to WPML.
For migration, you can use WP All Import plugin.

Please let me know if you have any doubts.

Thanks,
Rohan

August 8, 2019 at 1:46 pm #4363405

nickB-26

Hi Rohan,

thanks for the answer. Yes it's true that we now have three different installs. We would like to consolidate this install to one, with WPML. I don't wish to connect to another install. I wish to use the setting in languages to domain AND subfolder.

One installation of WordPress for example on SEPAY.nl
Belgium/Dutch -> SEPAY.be/nl
Belgium/French -> SEPAY.be/fr

I can only choose domain OR folder. Is there a way to achieve this?

Kind regards,

Nick

August 8, 2019 at 3:34 pm #4364287

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Hello,

If each of the 3 domains you have given above contains separate WP installations you need to merge them into a single site & use WPML in that site.

For eg: if you install WPML in sepay.nl, below are the 3 options you have:

Different languages in directories – like sepay.nl/nl/ for Belgium/Dutch and sepay.nl/fr/ for Belgium/French.

A different domain per language – sub-domains like nl.sepay.nl / fr.sepay.nl or completely different domains like sepay.tt / sepay.ff

Language name added as a parameter – like sepay.nl?lang=fr for Belgium/French.

You can read more about setting the different language URL's in these documentations:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/#language-url-format
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/
https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

Thanks,
Rohan

August 9, 2019 at 8:49 am #4368809

nickB-26

Hi Rohan,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, we use one install (although in our test environment) with WPML. But we want to use domain AND subfolder (together) for each language. Is that possible or 'fixable'?

Thanks,

Nick

August 9, 2019 at 12:19 pm #4370135

Rohan Sadanandan
Supporter

Hello,

You can use subdomains & domains together but not subfolders(different installations).
For eg: in a single installation you can have test.example.com, example.de for different languages(A different domain per language)
For this, you need to configure the DNS server settings as given in this documentation:
https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

Thanks,
Rohan