This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: An error shows up when we try to select different languages in directories.

Solution: Switching the URL format to adding languages as parameters resolved this issue.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nilsW-8 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
October 10, 2018 at 6:47 pm #2805464

nilsW-8

We need the rule to update our nginx configuration to enable the option "Different languages in directories"

hidden link

October 11, 2018 at 3:57 pm #2809060

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

If you select the option to use different directories for language, and then save permalinks, does the site actually work with that configuration? Sometimes that message in the WPML -> Languages is a false message and can be ignored.

October 11, 2018 at 5:11 pm #2809250

nilsW-8

I tried re-saving the permalinks, it didn't help. My permalinks now look like this:

October 11, 2018 at 6:44 pm #2809545

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Please switch to a plain or postname permalink structure and resave. Does the URL still look like your previous screenshot?

If so, /I'd like to have you try a few things so we can try to isolate the issue. This is just to help me identify if it might be a conflict with another plugin or theme that is causing the problem.

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

Update all WPML plugins & WordPress core.

Disable all plugins except WPML related and then temporarily change the theme to a default WordPress such as TwentyFifteen. With these settings, try to resave the permalinks again. Any change?

October 15, 2018 at 3:36 pm #2818142

nilsW-8

Thank you for your help.

None of these steps worked, but we have decided to use the "Languages as a parameter" option, as that is working.

Thank you!