This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by athoss-gbrT 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Vincenzo.

Author Posts
July 30, 2018 at 5:32 am #2592711

stefanM-7

There are diffrent types of german language.
German from Germany and German from Switzerland as example.

I can activate WPML and select "German" for the standard translation.
URL is then as follow

sq.ch/ <- German Germany
sq.ch/de-ch/ <- Switzerland German

BUT, I need to have a Swiss German as standard language with the code /de-ch/ and German /de/ AS second language.

sq.ch/ <- Switzerland German
sq.ch/de/ <- German Germany

So, How can I add the Swiss German to the Language mapping?
I tried editing the DB before I setup WPML, but that doesn't help.

July 31, 2018 at 10:56 am #2597815

Vincenzo
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello, thank you for contacting WPML Support!

In the initial setup, you are able to select only the most common languages.
After you complete the WPML setup, you will be able to add custom languages from WPML -> Languages -> Edit Languages.
See: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/

To achieve what you need, try the following steps:
- Select German as the default language in the first step of WPML Setup
- Add Switzerland German as a custom language
- Change the default language from German to Switzerland German from WPML -> Languages

Please let me know if this solves the issue or if you need further details.

Thank you

July 31, 2018 at 4:54 pm #2599237

stefanM-7

No, as all pages are then German. I need to copy then all pages to swiss german and delete the german ones that I can translate them? Stupid...

Its like you tell me..
Your main language is spanish, select france. then install spanish and siwtch on spanish.
But still the content from spanish is in france then.

I need therfor to select swiss-german as main language that the content does apply correctly. I do understand php and coding, but cannot find the place where to modify your plugin, that swiss-german can be setup initially.

July 31, 2018 at 5:19 pm #2599381

Vincenzo
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

after the steps that I provided in my previous answer, you can use WPML Translation Management to bulk duplicate the pages to German and then there is no need to delete the German pages. You can use the Swiss German content as a starting point for the translations.

I tried to give you a simple way to solve the issue as the two languages are similar but from your last answer, I understand that you are able to code in PHP and asking for a more comprehensive solution.

You can see how to edit the WPML language tables here:
- https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/#editing-languages-directly-in-the-database

Thank you

October 22, 2018 at 6:19 am #2836863

athoss-gbrT

This is somehow a strange prozedure. I need to set up Switzerland German also as the main language from the beginning. This should be possible directly without copying content arround between languages.