This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by danielM-54 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
May 14, 2019 at 3:39 pm

danielM-54

Hi,

we're currently trying to translate our global modules but sometimes unexpected things are happening and the translations or the original content go missing.

Our translations workflow is like this:
1. create the page and all of it's global modules in our main language (german)
2. translate the global modules in the divi library to english using the translation editor
3. translate the rest of the page

so far so good and everything works. But if we change the content of the global module or it's translation (or sometimes we don't change anything at all) one of the following things happens when opening the translation editor of the global module:
1. all translations go missing and are replaced with the original german texts
2. all german texts are replaced with the english version, but only in the backend and not on the frontend until we save the translation.
3. through a miracle everything works as it should

But this doesn't happen with all global modules. I've created new ones for testing and couldn't reproduce the problem there.

Do we have to recreate all pages and maybe it will work?
Or do we have to completely reset WPML, because we had tried translating using XLIFF files (which didn't work out)?

if you try to reproduce the problem: we had the problems most of the times with the global modules in the "Produktinfo Vital Plus" Category in the divi library.

Thanks a lot for your help.

May 15, 2019 at 5:02 am #3812287

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

The issue seems unusual, I would need your help to narrow down the issue. Could you please provide feedback on the following questions as much as possible?

Can you confirm that you are still experiencing issues with minimal set up (all plugins except WPML disabled and the theme on a WordPress default such as Twenty Nineteen)

Could you please perform the below steps and share me the results?

Debugging

1. Please follow the debugging information provided here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/
2. Repeat the action of creating the problem.
3. Copy and paste the contents of debug.log (log file inside the /wp-content/ directory) here for me to see.

Look forward to receiving your answers so we can get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks

May 17, 2019 at 2:07 pm #3835143

danielM-54

Hi Shekhar,

I can't test it without Divi set as the theme, because the problem only happens using the global modules.

For whatever reason WordPress can't write to the debug.log file.

But I was able to narrow down the problem. If I edit the global module or it's translation through the divi library everything is fine. But as soon as I open the translation editor of the page where the global module is used and go back to the translation editor of the module all english texts are replaced with the german ones.

May 20, 2019 at 3:33 am #3843409

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

It looks like a compatibility issue with the theme. To debug compatibility issue quickly, it will be best to test the issue on a fresh new Installation, being so I would need your little help to pinpoint the issue further.

I have created a fresh new WordPress Installed test site here, hidden link you can click on the link to login.

Could you please use the same settings there and see if you can replicate the issue? Please don't use personal information on the site as it's a test site, I recommend using some dummy data.

This will help us to figure out if this is actually a compatibility issue or a site-specific issue.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

May 20, 2019 at 7:56 am #3844521

danielM-54

Hi Shekhar,

seems like a site-specific issue, because I couldn't reproduce it in the sandbox.

The website was translated before using xliff files but that didn't work very well. Maybe the page / translation data in the database is messed up since then. If I want to completely delete the translations of a page is it enough to just switch to english and delete the translated page there? Or are still entries in the database left after that?

Thanks a lot!

May 20, 2019 at 8:02 am #3844601

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

If I want to completely delete the translations of a page is it enough to just switch to English and delete the translated page there? Or are still entries in the database left after that?

Delete the translated page and also delete the page from the trash. This should delete the translation completely.

NOTE:

+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!). You can use a plugin for this if you like. I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose. See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Let me know if re-translating helps.

Thanks

May 20, 2019 at 9:25 am #3845551

danielM-54

Hi Shekhar,

so I did some further testing and got the following results:

First I've created a new page and imported the layout from an existing page. Then I've created a new global element, created the translations etc. When entering the module translation editor after the page translation editor the problem reappeared and all translations got replaced.

But when I create a new section in the page and move the global element there everything works as expected.

When inserting the global element again into the previous section (which got imported from the other page) the translations go missing again.

Could there be some data in the older shortcodes Divi created that changed through various updates and now interferes with WPML and it now can't match the translations correctly?

May 20, 2019 at 12:06 pm #3846617

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Is it possible for you to post a few screenshots or if possible a video to show the issue? I am not exactly sure about this "When entering the module translation editor after the page translation editor the problem reappeared and all translations got replaced."

Also, can you reproduce these steps on the sandbox site?

Thanks

May 22, 2019 at 7:07 am #3861723

danielM-54

Hi Shekhar,

I've created a video reproducing the problem: hidden link
These are the steps:
1. Edit global module
2. Edit global module translation
3. Open page where the global module is used
4. Edit translation of the page
5. go back to global module
6. Edit translation of global module -> all previous english texts are replaced with german ones.

I've tried reproducing it in the sandbox but it didn't happen there. That's why I think that maybe old shortcodes are causing the problem because I've noticed that Divi als puts the version number in there. Also I couldn't reproduce it when creating a new section and adding the global module there.

May 22, 2019 at 8:22 am #3862915

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Thank you for the video, it helped us to understand the issue better.

maybe old shortcodes are causing the problem

We aren't aware of such things yet, did you update the divi version from an old version to a new one?

Since the issue is not happening on fresh installation, to further debug this issue, I would need to replicate your site on my localhost and perform further debugging. Being so could you please provide me a backup of your site so I can replicate your site on my localhost and perform further debugging.

To send a backup file you can use backups plugins, or use hosting services back up and send it using google drive, dropbox, etc to us. If you can, I request you to remove the uploads folder from the backup as it will be easy to download due to the size.

I have enabled the private reply so you can send those links in the private reply. If you use some backup plugins installed and you created the packages, you can just provide login details and mention us, we can download it from the site itself.
hidden link

Thanks

May 24, 2019 at 7:56 am #3881967

danielM-54

Hi Shekhar,

I've provided wordpress login details already in my initial post.
Also we're using Updraftplus which is writing daily backups. So you can use that to download a full dump of the website.

May 24, 2019 at 12:04 pm #3884581

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I am currently downloading the files from the site, I will replicate it on my localhost and will provide further feedback.

Thanks

May 24, 2019 at 1:41 pm #3885365

danielM-54

Great, thanks a lot!

May 27, 2019 at 4:45 am #3893483

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I followed the below steps and the results are as described below:
- Edited the "Vital Plus Kollektions-Text" Translation
- Edited the 'Vital Plus" page but any edits done for the global modules is not shown on the front-end
- Also, the global modules don't need an update, so I couldn't replicate the issue replicating the site on my localhost.

Being so could you please only translate the text from the global modules as explained here and let me know if this helps?

https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/#translating-divi-global-items

Thanks

May 27, 2019 at 7:17 am #3893941

danielM-54

Hi Shekhar,

ok that's weird.
That article just describes what I already did. First translate global modules and the translate the page.
When translating a page/post that includes a global item that you have already translated, WPML automatically preloads the translated content of the global item in the Translation Editor page. but this won't work for me. It either shows nothing or whatever was entered before the global module translation was created.

It seems like we just need to find a way around global modules as working with them just isn't reliable enough.