Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by sabineH-5 1 year, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
April 27, 2020 at 2:04 pm #6003029

sabineH-5

Hello,

I am trying to:
Use language switcher on header menu, but it only works on homepage, on all other pages it does not change the language. Most of the pages are translated, such as /about-us/ but it does not change the language when using the language switcher.

I already made a duplicate of the box, to grant you access.

April 27, 2020 at 10:48 pm #6006149

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

Please go to WPML->languages->add a footer language switcher and let me know your results.

Additionally, go to Settings->General and verify that the siteURL and homeURL both match

Let me know your results, please.

April 28, 2020 at 7:37 am #6008891

sabineH-5

Hi Bobby,

thanks for the quick reply!
-> SiteURL and HomeURL are matching
-> Footer Switcher works, the main navigation language switcher does not work

What to do next? 🙂

April 28, 2020 at 6:00 pm #6014675

Bobby
Supporter

Divi is a compatible theme with WPML, therefore, I would like to test for any 3rd party plugin compatibility

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed I recommend taking FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

April 29, 2020 at 10:25 pm #6025109

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There.

I created a duplicator package to test locally as well.

1. Switching to a default theme such as twenty20 resolves the issue
2. In my duplicator version I switched from the Divi Child to Divi with all the plugins deactivated but the styling remains.

Why is that? Are you using custom CSS and JS code?

Using the same Divi Theme on my clean environment I am not able to reproduce the issue and it is working as expected.

I am suspecting some sort of compatibility issue with custom code.

April 30, 2020 at 8:17 am #6027771

sabineH-5

Hi Bobby,

thanks for looking into it: What to do next? Using a default theme is not an option for us.

Yes we are using custom CSS - you can find it under "Appearance / Customize / Additional CSS". We already tested our custom CSS: turning it off will not resolve the language switcher issue. We are not using JS Code.

I hope you can help us out.

Thanks

April 30, 2020 at 11:03 am #6029891

sabineH-5

Hi Bobby, I might have found the issue, but not the solution:

We are not using a global navigation, but a navigation for each page.
We do this with a Divii menu module on each page.
Thee Divi menu module comes with every Divi Installation, its a standard feature and nothing out of the ordinary: We believed, it is compatible. Is it?

The reason why we do this: We want different colors and logos on each subpage.

When I am changing to the global menu, the language switcher works.
However: Than we cant go for different Colors on each subsite.

Do you know a solution?

Thanks

April 30, 2020 at 5:30 pm #6032787

sabineH-5

Hi Bobby,

we went for a workaround and build a completely new global navigation.
Hence the issue is resolved!

Thanks for looking into it, maybe WPML could add compatibility for the Divi Menu Module for future projects 🙂

Thanks!